First trip to VG

Travel discussion for Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, and beyond!
JJShaw

First trip to VG

Post by JJShaw »

Hi,
I have a cpl of questions concerning staying on VG, as we have only made day trips over..We are staying the first week on STJ and are now determining whats the best way to go to VG on a Tuesday...should we,

1. Take the ferry to to Tortola and then on VG from STJ ?
2. Possibly take a sea plane from STT ?

On the return if we take the ferry back I'm pretty sure we would check in a Cruz Bay right? As we may stay the night there and ferry back to STT the next day for our return flight home..
However if we take a sea plane back we will check in at STT ? If we take the plane back Im thinking we could stay an extra night on VG ;)
Look over me for asking such questions...but 'Im just wanting to get it all planned out before hand..:)

Thanks in Advance :D
[/url]
Bob & Sharon

Re: First trip to VG

Post by Bob & Sharon »

Virgin Gorda is a wonderful island. The best food is at “Chez Bamboo” and Little Dix “beach bar”. We charter “Island Birds” from STT to VG airport (not the sea plane). Customs are taken care of in the VG airport and in STT for the return. It is very convenient. If you return through SJ, you are correct that customs is at Cruz Bay. If you go to Cruz Bay, the two best restaurants are “La Tappa” for excellent fine food and “De Coal Pot” for outstanding local food.
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Was there last fall, I suggest ferry direct back and forth from St John. I always stay at Mango Bay, awesome staff, beautiful beach with nice snorkeling reef. Make sure to visit hog heaven, it's at highest point on island. BBQ that is outstanding. If you wanna dive, or try dive, go to Dive BVI. Grocery store at main harbor, where ferry docks, is very well stocked.
Bob & Sharon

Post by Bob & Sharon »

I forgot to mention "Hog Heaven", so am glad you mentioned it, Equineannie. Fabulous ribs and magnificent view. Also forgot to mention “The Fat Virgin” with it’s great Roti and fish sandwiches.
toni

Post by toni »

We have become BVI converts, though STJ still holds a place in my heart (see my latest TR from last week). VG is much much quieter. When we have gone we have taken the ferry directly from STT TO VG, I'm guessing on a Tuesday you would need to connect in Tortola. But that's probably not too difficult, check out the ferry schedules at http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/info_bviferry.htm You probably need come into west end and then cab to road town to get the connecting ferry, but I could be mistaken.

We also enjoyed Chez Bamboo and the Beach Grill at Little Dix Bay. Beach Grill started doing tapas plates at night so we ate lunch and dinner there. We liked Hog Heaven for the view, food we weren't too excited about. We went over to Bitter End for Sunday Brunch which we enjoyed the setting which was beautiful probably more than the food.

We've stayed in the Nail Bay Area for the two times we were there.

Edited to add that yes the ferries stop at cruz bay, you get off, go through customs and then go back on the ferry and over to red hook. Otherwise if you ferried to tortola first you could take a ferry to charlotte amalie. Haven't done it that way but think you can clear customs at CA.

Have fun planning!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We just got back from 10 days on VG.

Where does the seaplane land? You might be looking at luggage restrictions.

We flew Cape Air to VG from SJU and chartered Island Birds at the last minute for our return (long story). Love Island Birds. Used them in 2009 and should have just booked them for roundtrip this time.

I have heard BVI Airlink offers scheduled service from STT to VG.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

JJ - so excited you are staying in the BVI's! Let us know how you enjoy!