Beaches, VRBO and more...

Travel discussion for Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, and beyond!
BVIDreamer

Beaches, VRBO and more...

Post by BVIDreamer »

My family and I have been to the USVI and Jost and Virgin Gorda many times but never to Tortola. We are starting the long process of researching areas good for purchasing a "to-be constructed" home on Tortola. We would not use it much ourselves until our retirement years, some 10 years away. We would probably rent it long term. We are planning on coming down in a few months to narrow down properties. Not knowing the island I am wondering a few things...
We want to rent a VRBO while we are there but don't know where to target. We want to rent something as close to what we ourselves want to buy. We want expansive views and near a quiet CALM beach. The things I am seeing online look like mile beach is kinda rough at times. We want the calmest best beaches for snorkeling! We don't want to be in a condo type village. I would like to be about 20 minutes max from Roadtown.
Does anyone know anything about the area of Rouges Bay? This is one area where some homes are being constructed. It looks to be on the North side?
Any info on great areas to look in or if anyone has any insight into the construction market there or just info that may be helpful to us would be really appreciated!
watergirl

Re: Beaches, VRBO and more...

Post by watergirl »

Hi there. I've been to Tortola many times and in fact got married there 5 years ago. It is not as laid back as VG or Jost, but it does have some beautiful beaches and great snorkeling. In my opinion the north side of the island is nicer, the south side near Roadtown seems more "industrialized."
My favorites are Smugglers Cove, Brewers Bay: quiet, calm waters, rarely more than a handful of people.
Cane Garden Bay: more for the restaurants and clubs; the beach is lovely but usually crowded (by VI standards), however there's usually some music and dancing going on.
Don't know where you meant by "mile beach" were you thinking of Long Bay? The only place I know of where the surf is rough is Josiah Bay. People actually surf there. Most other beaches are generally calm except if there is a storm afoot.
I had never heard of Rouges Bay but looked it up and am intrigued. Will have to check it out when we go down this June.
Hope this was helpful. Enjoy!
watergirl

Post by watergirl »

Oops almost forgot Trunk Bay. Like that one too.
BVIDreamer

Post by BVIDreamer »

I was thinking of Long bay (I think I got confused hearing it was a mile long!). Your reply was very helpful! we were originally thinking of St Thomas as while we have always felt safe there, the crime is scaring me from making a move permanently. I like the laid back style of the BVI much more.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I found this document very useful in researching a move to the BVI:

http://bvinewbie.com/2015-bvi-newbie-guide/

Without a doubt Tortola has a very different feel than STT - a lot really depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking to have and what conveniences and restrictions are involved .
I have lived in STT full time for 40 years and don't find that the crime factor affects my life in any dramatic way.
Are you familiar with this forum:

http://www.vimovingcenter.com/talk/list.php?4
BVIDreamer

Post by BVIDreamer »

ExitZero-Just curious, you said you researched a move to the BVI...was that before moving to St thomas or are you currently researching one? I am just wondering if you did the research and for some reason decided to move to STT instead.
I have been on Vi moving center quite a bit-reading. There is a lot of good info on there.
For me, a different feel than STT would be fine. I would be fine with a clean uncrowded beach to read and relax. I can always go to STT for a day trip if I want to go shopping or something. The most important thing is I want a "home away from home" when I am here. We will be snowbirds someday. I plan on snorkeling, taking walks and doing some hiking and relaxing for three months every year.....
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I was just looking for a change for personal reasons. STT will always be my Caribbean home and I have a good community involvement here.