restaurant dinners you hit every trip

Travel discussion for St. John
amber2sky

veg

Post by amber2sky »

any good vegetarian or vegan restaurants? or places that have some good choices?

i'm heading down with my best friend in may or june (haven't made definite plans, just scoping things out right now), so any suggestions are appreciated!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Lime Inn
Morgan's Mango
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

For vegetarian dishes, try Fire Foods in Coral Bay. They are in a trailer at the corner of the road coming over the mountain into Coral Bay (forgot the name). I read an article about them, but they were out of food when we went there around 1:30 one afternoon. They had several types of freshly made tropical fruit juices that were delicious. For lunch or snacks, try Lily's store in Coral Bay. When we were there last year, they had lots of different flavors of hummous. We bought a loaf of fresh bread and some red pepper hummous for a light lunch one day.
I believe there is a vegetarian restaurant in the shopping center with Starfish - up stairs. The Chinese restaurant in that shopping center probably has veggie dishes too.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

As toni said, Satyamuna in the Marketplace is a good veggie restaurant. I have never eaten there, but it seems to get good feedback on the forum. :)
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

I have noticed some miss Stone Terrace. Well you are in luck...maybe even better. Walter Hinds, former chef at Stone Terrace has opened Hinds Restaurant in the space where Tage used to be. The food is out of this world! Walter is one of the best fine dining chefs on island. Give it a try the next time you are down.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Puddlejumper wrote:I have noticed some miss Stone Terrace. Well you are in luck...maybe even better. Walter Hinds, former chef at Stone Terrace has opened Hinds Restaurant in the space where Tage used to be. The food is out of this world! Walter is one of the best fine dining chefs on island. Give it a try the next time you are down.
Thanks for the recommendation. The thing about the Stone Terrace for us was not just the food. The location was great. More importantly, it was the people...Dave up front, Alan behind the bar...those were the folks who really made the place.

I can't tell you how many times we ate at the bar, catching a cool breeze, while listening to the music across the street at the Beach Bar. It was perfect for us.

We really miss that place.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
patr

Post by patr »

Lime Inn - usually more than once, Shipwreck and Banana Deck, we also try to catch Vie open for some of her garlic chicken and johnny cakes for lunch. yummmm.

We also really like Aqua Bistro and Miss Lucy's in Coral Bay.
And we enjoy ZoZo's but are usually too lazy and tired to make reservations and spruce ourselves up. :roll:
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
StJohnMike

Post by StJohnMike »

Hi everyone, regarding good vegetarian food on island, the aforementioned Satyamuna is very good.
The Chinese place (The China Shack) in The Marketplace was good the couple of times I was there but it closed earlier this year.
I love the tofu Pad Thai at Rhumblines, I always have it twice when I'm on island.
Cafe Roma has great vegetarian specialties, you can't go wrong with them and I would also recommend the veggie Tex-Mex options at Margarita Phil's and JJ's.
I'm looking forward to trying Sogo's, I noticed they have some veggie options, I've always wanted to try them.
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

I'm only heading out on my 2nd trip to St. John but ate dinner out every night for 14 nights last April. Margarita Phil's got my business twice for their fish tacos (I had never heard of a fish taco in my life). The fish tacos were the most memorable meal I had on St. John and I had to go back a 2nd night. Woody's for the blackened mahi mahi (ate there twice too). I've heard that Maho Bay is hit and miss depending on the cook they have at the time but I never ate a bad meal there.
~Brenda~
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

On the way, before the Red Hook ferry;-
Duffy's Love Shack for unbelievable fiji wings and mahi tacos-
On STJ-
JJ's Texas Coast Cafe for Bloody Mary's-
Donkey Diner for breakfast-
Rhumb Lines for dinner-
Skinny's for a burger, or delicious grilled cheese-
Uncle Joe's bbq is always a homerun-(GO PHILLIES!!!)-
Gecko Gazebo-for a drink& to relax and marvel at how gorgeous everything around you is-
Quiet Mon Pub -drinks, and a great view of the bustle @ Cruz Bay-
I'm hoping Cafe Roma is open next week. I've walked by it a million times, but never tried it. I also hope the Lime Inn is open, best margarita I've ever had, and the owner lives @ 6 miles from me here in Jersey.-
Aside from those ideas, I love grilling by the pool!
Smiles! Almost there!!!
MJ
jigzmom

Post by jigzmom »

We've been to STJ only once but are returning in Jan. '09. We will have dinner our first night at Morgan's Mango. Other places we'll be sure to enjoy:

Ocean Grill
Banana Deck
Shipwreck Landing
Lime Inn
La Tapas
The Balcony
Beach Bar
carron

Post by carron »

For Lunch - Miss Lucy's
Burgers at Skinny's
Beach Bar Fish Sandwiches

For Dinner - La Tapa
Sweet Plantains
Rhumb Lines

My ticker's getting pretty close!!!!
David- n Hampton, VA

Post by David- n Hampton, VA »

JJ's Texas Cafe for anything they cook. I like it there. (Although, it was better when my wife and I could sit outside drink a beer or two ans share our order of fries with the chickens.)

And, I always have to run out to Skinny legs, if for no other reason than to buy another t-shirt and have a burger.
Amy

Post by Amy »

We always hit these four:
Skinny Legs (usually more than once, usually for lunch)
Uncle Joe's - takeout for dinner
Beach Bar - sometimes just drinks, sometimes food, too
Sweet Plantains - our splurge dinner--we tend to eat in most nights, but we've been here the last 2 trips and we'll definitely go again!
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

The Chicken Fettucini at Roma is a lock for sure!

We always do Wednesday at Lime Inn for the AYCES. LOVE Rich!!!

I could LIVE off of the coconut smoothies at Columbos. The BEST I have EVER had, HANDS DOWN!

JJ's for breakfast is our ultimate favorite! Tamarind Inn is also very very good! If we don't want a sitdown, Deli Grotto is YUMMY! Get a load of the dessert case!

Agree with Bug. Love the shrimp at Woody's!
Gotta have a burger and a chit chat with Moe at Skinny's. Don't miss the Geckolada at Sun Dog.

Mmmm, Columbos Coconut Smoothie...perhaps a Painkiller this pm will help kill the need!