Iguana Bit Me - Anyone else?

Travel discussion for St. John
muyfamily

Iguana Bit Me - Anyone else?

Post by muyfamily »

I was minding my own business, snoozing on a chaise beach chair and "chomp". It even drew a speck of blood. Any other Iguana stories out there? I swear all the iguanas I saw after that were licking their lips, uggggh!1
Cruzan Chris

Post by Cruzan Chris »

Hey..Muyfamily...BITE HIM BACK !!! :twisted: :twisted:
mmmmmm...Iguana-Kabob... :shock: :shock: :lol:

Cruzan Chris
"St.John,always in our hearts,minds,and souls"
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Where did it bite you? Fingers? Toes? :shock:
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

I have read (don't know if it's true) that iguanas can be attracted to painted nails (both toes and fingers) as it reminds them of berries.

Regardless, it must be very unusual with iguana bites. Especially when you didn't harass it.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Wow.
Never had that happen... even when I owned one.
Smiles-
MJ
Connie

Post by Connie »

I had one. Arty was his name. I would let him out of the cage and let him walk around UNTIL the day I was folding wash on the couch and he was on the back of the couch. Without warning he lunged at me and went right for my nose.

He started getting pretty agressive and I couldn't handle him anymore. I was told by the vet that he was reaching maturity and that some of them can get pretty nasty.

Unfortunetly, I had to give him away. I got seriously scared of him.

I also saw the owner of Maggies offer an iquana a cherry. He bit his finger and blood just flowed.

I don't like iquanas at all. I prefer furry kind of animals.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Not a bite, but a funny iguana story! Some of you may have seen this on on-stjohn! We were waiting in the park near JJ's for the ferry and SPLAT on the ground from above....our newbie, unaware, says "What kind of bird sh--ts like that???!!!" I can't see an iguana without thinking of her!!!!!
muyfamily

iguana

Post by muyfamily »

Bit me on my toe.
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

Did you have on red toe nail polish? Just curious because I have heard that they are attracted to the color red.
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

One bit my nephew's finger when they were feeding them at the Westin. It got a little greedy and took more than whatever it was they were given to feed them.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I can't help but laugh--sorry. I never knew that an iguana would bite! I figured that you just had bad luck! Now I am gonna watch them very carefully. come to think of it they do have a SNEAKY look about them!!

Gina
Connie

Post by Connie »

I think that they have just become very agressive on some beaches from the feedings. They know as soon as you take out a snack or a sandwich on the beach, and they'll come running and stay looking for a handout.
djmom

Post by djmom »

yep, 4 or 5 year old daughter bit at the Westin as well, despite our repeated warnings to her....don't feed it by hand..."but it LIKES ME"

FYI-we did call a doctor (Westin has a "house" doctor on call) to check to see if they carried diseases-like salmonella or something--and he said not to worry. Just laughed and said it happens quite often.
USVISuzyQ

Post by USVISuzyQ »

Iggie bites...reminds me of a tale many years ago...

Guilty as charged with red toe-nail polish, i was sitting at the beach bar at Bluebeards Beach Club on STT, when a baby iggie latched on to my little toe and refused to give it back. I tried to relax, and when it finally stopped being scared, it gave me my toe back. There were little dots of blood on my toe, but i think that my high concentration of bushwhackers thwarted any pain!

Since that time, i've been enjoying the company of many large iggies on my beach chair. The main thing is they have to be calm, don't befriend them unless there is no danger of upsetting them. If calm, they are quite fun, if startled, dangerous with their tail. If you'd like to befriend them from a distance, get some red grapes and "bowl for iggies"! They love them, you don't get too close, and they are fun to watch. If you rip the grapes in half, it's really a funny thing to watch!

Good luck, iggie lovers!

Q
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Everyone is right. If you have red nail polish they can be attracted to it. They love Hibiscus flowers and the red nail polish is a dead give away!
*Another fine scatterbrained production