Which ferry location?

Travel discussion for St. John
jdw

Which ferry location?

Post by jdw »

It seems that most everyone takes the Red Hook ferry. If I understand correctly that means you have a longer taxi ride and a shorter ferry ride. Do any of you prefer the longer ferry ride from Charlotte Amalie? We arrive in St. Thomas at 1:30 and thought it would be nice to have a longer ride on the ferry. We are going to set up a pickup from the airport with Rachel - would she take us to Charlotte Amalie?
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I will always take the CA ferry first if I can unless I just missed it and would have to wait to long. I love the ride around the south side of STT.
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

I also prefer the CA ferry but it doesn't run hourly like the Red Hook so I usually just try to get to St. John ASAP 8) ferry choice depends on flights being on time and luggage pickup at STT with neither being dependable. If you arrive on time you will have plenty of time to catch the 3:00 pm from CA. Good luck, as long as the water isn't rough it's a great trip and prefer it much more than the taxi ride.
mcpenguin5

Post by mcpenguin5 »

I agree with Traveler. I love the longer Ferry ride, it is lots of fun seeing everything from the water. The long Taxi ride to Red Hook is booooorrrring unless you have good company to chat with. However, as pointed out, Red Hook runs much more frequently, so you might not have much choice.
Rachel will drive you wherever you need to go.
steve

Post by steve »

I always prefer the CA ferry when ever I can make it. I can not wait to get out into the sea breeze. It is exciting to watch for your first glimpse of STJ as you round the STT points.... I miss getting my wife the rum punch while we wait for the RH fairy though. She is a hoot with a little rum and some sea spray!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We definitely prefer the CA ferry, but I always warn the fair skinned people in our group to be aware that if they sit on the top, that they are in the sun for about 40 minutes. Most opt to add some sunblock or hats.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band