New resturant in "The Marketplace"

Travel discussion for St. John
tothectothec

New resturant in "The Marketplace"

Post by tothectothec »

Last night four of us decided to try La Plancha. It's new where the chinese restaurant used to be. Everything on the menu looked so good that we decided to share most of the small dishes. Everything we had was fresh and wonderful. The best meal I've had on St John and i've been coming here for 20 years. Do not miss the chocolate waffle or the passionfruit mojoita. here is a link.

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2009/02/06/eve ... a-plancha/
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Yummy...we'll have to check it out while we're there in June. Thanks
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

So it's in the old China Shack, not the restaurant space on the second floor that faces the front parking lot? (former tenant restaurant names escape me.)
Pia

Post by Pia »

If you are thinking of Happy Fish, Happy Fish is still there :) La Plancha is in the old China Shack space :)

Pia
cruiserkcs

Post by cruiserkcs »

How much food is on the small plates at La Plancha? Is it enough for one person's meal? I saw their menu on On-StJohn's website.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Looking forward to checking out La Plancha.
I thought the food at China Shack was pretty good, and I tough it was a great concept, too. Heck, who doesn't get a hankering for Chinese food?
I was just a little overpriced though...
Smiles-
MJ
Last edited by mahojim on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tothectothec

Post by tothectothec »

I don't think that the size of one small plate for an adult would be enough for a meal. we were four adults and we shared 6 small plates and two deserts and were full.
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

My husband and I ate there on Tuesday night - YUM! The owners are super friendly and it's a small but very nice place. I had a chicken roulade that was wonderful and an excellent ceasar salad. Ron had crab cakes for a starter and a great steak. Dessert was a pinapple foster type desser that was to die for! We will definitely be back there in May.
NancyB
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

When John and I were there we split three small plates, shared an entree, shared a dessert, and bought two cocktails and a bottle of wine. Bill was $148 before tip. We could have ordered less food and been fine but I wanted to try a bunch of stuff. I really like this place!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

I've been to La Plancha del Mar twice and both times were fantastic! The first time I went I was with someone who only eats proteins from the sea or the ground. They were very accommodating to that and even let us try some of the veggie stuff that was served with various other entrees. The last time I went (last night) I went with my 7 year old son. We tried two small plates and they made my little guy a burger. My guy ate more than half of the chicken and steak skewers before he got a HUGE burger and fries. The skewers were AWESOME! I also got the scallop small plate and it was PHENOMENAL! I was stuffed when I left. The scallops were huge and it was plenty for me. The first time I went we had the brownie waffle desert and it almost knocked me off my chair. It was just that good!
One of the things that I like best about this place is the service. That is very very important to me. The three guys that are partners are all very nice. They have a super dynamic and it is fun to watch them each "do their part". I highly recommend this place. Not only is the food amazing, the service is top notch.