Algae Plume Reaches Virgin Islands

Travel discussion for St. John
hugo

Post by hugo »

It's very hard to say anything for sure, because this is apparently unprecedented.
There's a LOT of debate going on among marine biologists about what caused it and where it comes from. On the bright side, it is not as bad on the north as the south, and if you didn't know what it's supposed to look like here, you might not even notice on the north.
I just hope it's not like the dust from the Sahel--one summer (1971, I think) there was a hazy sky, and nobody knew what it was, because we only had two possible skies: blue or cloudy. Then It got more and more frequent, and there have been summers with more dusty days than clear...
I would be very surprised if this hasn't wasn't cleared up within a week or so!
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Hmm...not a day this trip with completely clear skies...plenty of clouds, cooler than normal, although dry, we love it as its not buggy and lots of breezes.

Sunday April 19th...Trunk Bay...Very big surf...no snorkeling, water was beautiful.

Monday April 20th...Francis...wavy, poor visibility while snorkeling.

Tuesday April 21st...Big Maho...pretty good snorkeling...bit wavy. Saw and swam with some turtles and one huge mystery fish I've never seem before.

Wednesday April 22st...catamaran trip to Waterlemon...clear mostly, murkey about 60 feet down.

Thursday April 23nd...Cinnamon...very windy, although the water was very clear, didn't see lots of fish this trip.

Friday April 24th...Big Maho...fantastic today...great snorkeling...all the way around the right side around the rocks all the way to Little Maho. Best day ever :D . Cloudiest day today also...

Saturday...sadly...will be ferry back to STT and to the airport we go... :cry:

So that was my week...thought the same as AGENT99...little cloudy due to less than calm seas...
still, just as good as it gets so I wouldn't be bumming if I were on the way down!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Those of you on your way down fret, it is still surreally beautiful. My only concern would be that the algae could harm the sealife in some way. Hope it clears away in a hurry.
Joshie

Post by Joshie »

Connie

Post by Connie »

Is this algae dangerous for you health? We all suck in some water when we're swimming or snorkeling.

Doesn't sound good to me.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

I hope it goes away VERY soon too.....we're bringing 2 newbies with us who have seen our crystal-clear water pics & hopefully they will have the same experience also. It is what it is though....hey, we're still on STJ!!!
Rich1963

Post by Rich1963 »

I'm less than 2 weeks from my first visit and hope it dissipates very soon. We're coming for the snorkeling and I want to experience the beautiful water I've always heard about. Due to the expense and extended travel time, it may be our only visit - sure don't want it mucked up by a bunch of algae.

Thanks to all for the updates. I don't like what I'm hearing, but I appreciate being informed.

Rich
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

I guess we are going to have to get weekly updates on this. My week trip starts May 27th, so I have about a month before I get there. I have 3 newbies meeting me there and I would like them to see the clear water. Thanks for the updates everyone.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

This is just heartbreaking!
patr

Post by patr »

Pia and/or Joshie, are they giving any predictions how long this is expected to last? Those of us with small ticker numbers are wondering.

STJ - soon come!
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Pia

Post by Pia »

Sorry I have not heard anything although there are reports that it is already breaking up :)

Here is a post from another forum from Localsailor.....(thanks localsailor :) )

"I snorkeled Hawksnest to Gibney and all the way out to the corner by Denis Bay -- fairly clear in shallow waters - some algae but not really very much - deeper water on the way back was not as clear but that is not uncommon there unless we have a South wind for a day or 2 that really settles things down.

Saw a lot of turtles, more than usual! - maybe they like algae? - the usual suspects under the coral heads,good juvenile schools, not too many bait fish schools,no tarpon, numerous remora, probably a good 20 ft. clear visibility and some cloudiness deeper.

With the overnite rain and the fairly strong wind[ 16-20 kts] the bloom may be breaking up, it was certainly less evident than 48 hrs. ago - also the very strong current generated by yesterdays new moon would help by moving a lot of water.

It was generally not real sunny so it was hard to gauge the clarity in deeper water.

I am hoping to get farther East ? on Sunday - if the wind co-operates !

I did see dive boats working on the Grass Cay -- Mingo Cay buoys.

The water by Ratta Cay and Henley Key was quite clear but that is an area which has a very good current flow, especially this morning.

The www.weathercarib.com site mentioned does have some good explanation and salinity charts today."

Hope this helps

Pia
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Honestly, I have noticed that the last two summers the water at Maho was much more murky than in the past. I wonder why.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
patr

Post by patr »

Thanks Pia - sounds like good news.

I guess this is a time we want a strong current, huh?
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks Pia!
NoWorriesMom

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Hello! Just bumping this back to the top, any new info from anyone on island?