Which way in Coral Bay? Signs gone - another soon come

Travel discussion for St. John
Gromit

Which way in Coral Bay? Signs gone - another soon come

Post by Gromit »

Well it looks like the "signs -- they are a changin'"

The usual cluster of Coral Bay signs is apparently now gone...

On one hand I get that this was an encroachment issue and certainly the Moravian Church has to protect its property. On the other there's certainly no danger of getting lost in Coral Bay. But I always enjoyed seeing that cluster of signs.

Alas ... something else "soon come"

Of course the thought of a marina, shops and condos in this spot causes my heart to sink just a little.

Here's the article on the subject:

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ind ... &Itemid=38
*Another fine scatterbrained production
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

The corner looks totally naked. Even the Skinny Legs bench was gone. :cry:
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Who got all those great signs???
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

that's ridiculous.

THOSE signs on THAT corner are one of the best landmarks on stj. tells you you made it to coral bay... aaahhhh.

whatever.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The article mentions the new signs will have " a Coral Bay edge" -- now that is a marketing philosophy that I eagerly anticipate.
kimberlysea

Post by kimberlysea »

That's a shame....Always laugh at the "clam" dip sign - i'd imagine that is still there because it's an actual road sign.

:roll:
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

So let me get this straight...we're replacing the original vintage Coral Bay signs with new signs that will have the same "Coral Bay Edge" as the old signs.

Is Disney designing them?
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

There are on-going meetings on this but it does hurt ones like Sloop. To repeat visitors it seems simple but new visitors can be confused as it is.
LMG

Post by LMG »

For lack of a better phrase, that is a bummer!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Don't laugh at me for what I am about to tell you:

For our first trip to St. John we didn't really know much about anything except Cruz Bay because we were staying there.

But everyone kept talking about Skinny's and we like an adventure.

And even with the signs, we got lost.

(I said, don't laugh!)

Anyhow, my whole point is that while most of us here know all kinds of hidden spots on St John after lots of vacationing, new people don't know anything. They get lost, even with three main roads.

I hope they get the new signs up soon.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Seen this on our first day on a road trip, probably do something real nice like they did to the bus stop. Yea right pure BS leave this stuff alone it's what makes Coral Bay Coral Bay :x :? I'm posting a pic in memory of the signs
RIP
Lex

Post by Lex »

I liked the signs. Rich in character and whimsy. But then I also liked the way the bus stop was painted before it was "cleaned up." There's a lot that I liked that's gone and a lot that I don't like that's come. For me it's yet another change that I don't see as improvement. The character, the unique flavor---wiped out.

I was intrigued by this:
“The corner was inundated with signs and more people were asking for signs to be put up there,” said Moravian Church V.I. Conference property manager Samuel Rymer. “After ascertaining what was there, it was determined to be a liability and all the signs were taken down.”

Liability. The word used is "liability". To someone's way of thinking, the colorful, unique, personalized signs were a liability. What is that way of thinking? And whose way of thinking is that? This seems another step in the gentrification of the island. A small one, but symbolically significant.
loria

Post by loria »

the bigger picture is the land lease by the moravian church--if that ever gets developed (and there are those that say it's dead, but also those that say 'not so quick') then there will be much bigger issues than signage....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Its perfectly fine to fall in love with a place and embrace its character. The wise traveler, however, is always looking for that next unspoiled destination.

When the inevitible "progress" steals your lover, you need to be prepared to move on.

To paraphrase Jeff Goldblum/Dr Malcom from Jurassic Park... "I'm always on the lookout for the future ex-Mrs. Malcolm" Hoaky movie...great line!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I thought the signs that were there DID have a Coral Bay edge.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band