6 oclock ferry for 9:00 flight?

Travel discussion for St. John
islandchef

6 oclock ferry for 9:00 flight?

Post by islandchef »

Just wondering if anyone has ever taken the 6 a.m. ferry for a 9 oclock flight (actually 9:07). for whatever reason this departure is way cheaper than all the others we have looked at but i've never flown out of st thomas that early and didnt know if it was possible to make from st john... our trip would be in october if that makes any difference... any light you could shed would be awesome! Thanks in advance!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Easy - I used to take the 8:30am AA flight before they changed it - no problem.

We also have had family and friends take the 8am AA flight, but for that one you must have carry on only, waaay to close to check bags, so a 9am no problem even checking bags as you will be at the airport between 7am and 7:15am :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
54b

Post by 54b »

Just did it a few weeks ago...we were on the Sunday AA flight from STT to San Juan leaving at 9am.

Sure enough at 5:59am, a guy opened up the gate next to the ferry at Cruz Bay and sold us our tickets (nobody ever showed up at the ticket office window so don't sweat that if they don't). We left like 3 minutes later. It was really efficient. Once we got to Red Hook, there were cabs waiting.

We got the airport around 6:50am...got our boarding passes by 7am...through customs by 7:20am....checked our bag and got through security by 7:40am.

Had more than enough time to grab something to eat and grab a few last-second gifts in the tchotchky shop.

As long as you make the 6am, you should be good shape.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

You could save a little more time and do advance online check-in the night before and print your boarding passes. You can do this at Connections or even at The Westin. Great way to avoid those airport lines. Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

Yep - I've done it too. No problemo... And at that hour the airport is nice and calm...
islandchef

Post by islandchef »

THANKS GUYS! We fly out of New Orleans which is two hours away from where we live so getting back earlier is so much better for us since we still have two hours of driving after we land! Thanks for giving me the confidence to book this flight!! WERE GOING IN OCTOBER!!!!
54b

Post by 54b »

On other tip...I didn't think this saved us that much time, but in addition to printing out boarding passes the night before, you can also drop by the Westin front desk and ask for a Customs Form (or get one before you leave the airport on the first day).

We filled it out the night before...one less thing to do or think about. The line at customs moves slow enough that you have plenty of time to fill it out long before making it to the front.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I have a friend who has made it for that 7:55 a.m. flight (do they still do that one?) twice. We travel in off-season, so I'm sure that helps. I think it's nuts, and everytime I figure she'll have to wait in standby hell because she won't make it. I am way too OCD to try something like that, which is why I always end up driving to ATL and flying on Spirit so I don't have to leave in the morning...