Day 3: Maho, Skinnys, Pool, Beach Bar, Aqua Bistro!

Travel discussion for St. John
flip-flop

Day 3: Maho, Skinnys, Pool, Beach Bar, Aqua Bistro!

Post by flip-flop »

Silly rabbit Trix are for kids...

We got things started with breakfast at the house in neutral.

Belly Flop took to making silly faces for the camera. The boy is crazy.

Mr. Flip-Flop was feeling very unwell. He slept ok and woke up seeming almost ok but as soon as he stood up the room started spinning and his head started pounding. I was worried. It is what I do. He was fine as long as he laid still in bed, didn't move and didn't open his eyes. Thoughts of visits to Myra Keating and medivacs danced in my head. He often gets motion sickness but had taken the necessary precautions and said it didn't "feel like that" it felt very wrong! So he got back in bed, I got him some medicine and water and instructed him to stay. He listened.

I didn't want to leave him alone but the natives were getting restless. Mr. Gromit was sleeping in a bit, so Gromit and I decided to leave the guys behind and maybe if my hubs felt better later they could join us at the beach. We loaded up the kids and our stuff and headed out to MA HO. Hello, finally, sweet Maho.

Love Love Love MAHO...

My little dude settled in to play time.

Just chilling on the beach

The girl just pretty much stays in the water

I always take too many pictures of Maho

Did I mention I love it there?

Gromit decided it was time for braids. Mini Flip-Flop was thrilled as her mama missed braid class in girl school. With an older brother and a very close older boy cousin I think I inadvertantly went to boy school instead. I am much better at building forts and throwing dirt bombs than playing barbies and braiding hair. 'dem are the breaks!

It is as if they knew daddy was sick and mama was fending for herself, because they totally took mercy on me. They completely cooperated and we had a nice relaxing time (as relaxing as it could be for me, I won't lie and say I wasn't a little agitated and concerned about my hubby - the man NEVER gets sick!).

They even played nicely together. Belly Flop hadn't discovered his inner destructo yet! That would come later.

He did decide a bucket made a nice hat!

Soon, Mr. Gromit arrived without Mr. Flip-Flop so my inner worry kicked back into overdrive and I decided to pack it in for the kids and head back to the house. Back at the house, I found him still alive and doing marginally better. I made lunch for the kiddos - mac & cheese for the boy and PB&J for the girl - and brought Mr. Flip-Flop more to drink to keep him or re- hydrate him as needed. Once I got Belly Flop down for a nap, Mini & my inner wanderer sat in and we decided to head to the Wall Street complex in search of new, never seen before toys for her little bro to ease the transition with the sitter we were planning to have that night. (Cousin Amber volunteered to babysit 4 of our 10 nights to earn some spending money...the best of a win-win situation...she was AWESOME with the kiddos!)

We were also in search of ice cream for this sweet one! NO MORE BEN & JERRY's BARS at SKINNYS! What is the world coming to?

We shopped, picked up a few things, and decided to head to Lilly's Market to find an ice cream! They came through. Happy mama, Happy girl, we headed back oo the house to check on our guys.

The boys were both still napping when we returned but the Mr. was rallying. He was by no means 100% but felt well enough to move from the bed to the sofa and was perking up a bit. He volunteered to watch the kids while the rest of us headed to the Beach Bar for the forumite Sunday Meet-up. I felt a little guilty
but he said it was fine and off we went.

We headed over to STJ spice to say Hey to Ruth. We found her locking up the place and ready for a drink!

Someone mentioned it was the Summer Solstice

It was a gorgeous night. We went in search of drinks. NO EASY TASK and I for one - not to step on any toes here - would be totally in support of a BYOB
event or another bar. The Beach Bar can't be beat for the beach and views but the service (at least this night) left a lot to be desired. Ruth, being awesome as ever, took over & got me a much needed BBC. Soon it seemed like everyone in our crew wanted one. Its a YUMMY drink! Ruth is also the secret apparently to getting a drink at the Beach Bar. Even she had a tough time. LOOK AT ME...Don't avoid my eye contact! I want a drink! Thanks, RUTH! They could RAKE in the dough if they had a better system. When we arrived they had 3 bartenders, but weren't "busy" enough so they sent one home. SERIOUSLY. It was busy! Plus, the forumites were just beginning to descend. As one who worked her way through college in restaurants, I just don't see the logic of making it difficult to get a drink AT A BAR, I am not even talking about food, just a drink. They should be flowing, that is the money maker. Perhaps, they don't need the money. Who knows. It was minorly annoying, but the event was otherwise tons of Fun.

A beautiful Sunset

Ladies of like minds...

Left to Right - Pia, Gromit, Ruth, Flip-Flop & Liamsaunt! Also in the house were (from memory sorry to anyone I forget...and I don't have the BIG picture though I knew some were taken) capt Brandi (LOVED HIM) and his lovely wife, Les (Pia's Hubby), Ron (of Ron & Ruth of course), the McDomzals (NICE NICE PEOPLE), Tracy from WI, Jimg20 & Diana, Liamsaunt's John, Bob & Anita, DJ Mom and family, TinaJohnson and her hubby, and....who am I forgetting! There were a lot who stepped up and ID'd themselves and I suspect many more who did not!

It was a fun time. It was so great to put faces with names.

We hung around until about 7 and then decided to head back to Coral Bay to check-in with Mr. Flip-Flop. I called him to check in and he was sounding better, it was supposed to be a babysitting night but he was not up for eating, so he told us to go ahead without him and that he would stay in with the kids, as it was almost their bedtime. I am telling you, he's a total keeper.

We headed to Aqua Bistro and had a great meal and I am happy to report great service!

Mr. Gromit's steak dinner, I tried to steal it but he threatened to stab me.

Amber's Pasta, which I did manage to steal a bite of, delish.

And my burger with a side salad

After dinner we headed back to the house and I was relieved to find my husband starting to feel even more human. It was early to bed, typical for St. John where it always feels like midnight at 9pm!

Tomorrow: Francis, Skinny Legs (next day service), and Dinner in
Last edited by flip-flop on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
mcdomzal

Post by mcdomzal »

Nice escape from reality for me Flip-Flop, thanks! I do have the big picture, but I have no idea how to post it....:(
MCDomzal
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

All hail the BBC! My personal fav!
Glad to hear Mr. Flip rallied!
Sick and vacation just don't mix!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

More great pictures of the cutest kids!
mcdomzal wrote:Nice escape from reality for me Flip-Flop, thanks! I do have the big picture, but I have no idea how to post it....:(
If you want to email it to me I will post it for you. Just click the "email" button at the bottom of my signature, and make sure you put "from mcdomzal" in the subject heading. :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

mcdomzal wrote:Nice escape from reality for me Flip-Flop, thanks! I do have the big picture, but I have no idea how to post it....:(
I'll PM you my email address and I'll post it for you!

Hope you are hanging in there.
mcdomzal

Post by mcdomzal »

I sometimes forget about my tech-savvy son.

Of course it was only a few clicks for him and boom the picture was here!

Thanks, everyone!

MCDomzal
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Fun, fun, fun.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Great day and such cute kids! I'm glad Mr. started feeling better! I always have tons of Maho pics when I get home!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

mcdomzal wrote:I sometimes forget about my tech-savvy son.

Of course it was only a few clicks for him and boom the picture was here!

Thanks, everyone!

Nice work! I'll try to label peeps

L-R (edited to add corrections & names)

Jimg20, Pia, Gromit, DIana, Ron, John, Ruth, Liamsaunt, Capt Brandi, Mr. Mcdomzal, Mrs. Capt Brandi, Mcdomzal, Flip-Flop, Seagrape & hubby, Tracy from WI, DJMom, and Bob of Bob & Anita. I think Anita must have been taking a picture of this herself.
Last edited by flip-flop on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaleAndGreg

Post by DaleAndGreg »

Hey! You're at Casa Luna! I recognize the background. We stayed there almost exactly a year ago with our group of 11. House is interesting - some great points some not so great, but overall it worked for us. How is it working out for you?
We will be on island tomorrow, enjoying the same air! Have a great day!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

flip, the one you missed is Seagrape, and that is her hubby next to her. They are the schoolteacher couple from Alaska who are building a house in Coral Bay themselves. I think it's called Anchorage Aweigh. I talked to them for a while about the process and came away mightily impressed!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Great report so far. I love those flip-flop names you give the kids. They are adorable.
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

It was really fun meeting you, and everyone else, at the Beach Bar.

Great pictures of your family!
Bob & Anita
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

That's a great sunset picture!
mcdomzal

Post by mcdomzal »

The nice lady third from the right is Tracy from Wisconsin. Hi Tracy! Hope you are still havin' fun!
MCDomzal