Next Time Do's & Don'ts

Travel discussion for St. John
Patty

Post by Patty »

PIA gave a great packing list sometime back which I am sticking to for our upcoming trip.....we leave on Saturday....YEAH!!!!!

2 bathing suits/2 coverups
3 shorts
3 tops
1 sundress
1 nice flip flops
1 beach shoes
Sunblock
Bug Spray
Hat

Everytime we go, we bring back clothes we never wear so I'm really trying the bare minimum this time!
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Pia wrote:Yes, for your next trip I suggest all clothes fit in a carry on only :) Ask LMG how to do it as I believe (OK know) she travels that way. I'm sure your villa will have a waher/dryer :)

Pia
I absolutely agree with Pia. We did all carry ons and had PLENTY of clothes. NEVER again will I check a bag.
JT

Post by JT »

linne wrote:All this with 20% tipping is so strange for me, because we don't use tipping so much in Denmark (or Spain), and if so it's normally about 10% or less.
I think the staff have a better salary.

But why do you tip more, if it's a bigger party?
I cannot find the explanation for that.

Linne
Linne, in the USA waiters, waitresses, and bartenders are paid a salary much, much lower then minimum wage. I don't know why that it's that way, it is just an odd system we have, and as such it is customery for patrons to tip them for good service. The "standard" used to be 15% of the total check, but over the years 20% has become almost the normal tip for good service. This is basically how the servers get paid. To tip less then 15% is basically implying that the service was sub-standard. Now when it comes to large parties many establishments have a policy of automatically adding 18% to the check for gratuity because sometimes patrons felt, say $75.00, was too much to tip on a $500. tab for a party of 10 people.What people didn't often consider is that while that server, though maybe exceptional, was only tending to that one table, other servers may have had 5 smaller parties and made a lot more money in the same time period. That said, I hate gratuities being automatically added to checks, though I understand it. Once at Chatauex Bordeaux we saw a very demanding party of 12, after running the waitresses ragged all night, asked for seperate checks, and then protested the the automatic gratuty because they felt as they had 6 different tabs they were no longer a party over six!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
augie

Post by augie »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote: Do:
~ Take more videos of our daily routines.
This is a great point Marcia. When I look at our pictures there are a lot of beach shots, sunsets, stunning vistas, fish, etc. But it really helps get the whole STJ experience across to others if there are more "ordinary" pictures, i.e. driving along the roads, car barge, etc.
Come see us!
Connie

Post by Connie »

I admit it. I'm an overpacker. I've tried, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

As far as tipping goes. My daughter is a waitress and she makes $1.50 an hour, so she depends on her tips. During the summer, it's been tough because alot of people are away...I'm assuming, just as they are in STJ.

We normally tip 20% and then just round it up to whatever.

Last May we had a party of 12 at Duffy's and the tip was automatically put on the bill. Too bad my BFF didn't realize that because she tipped another 100.00. Lesson learned.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
bevm

Post by bevm »

Less is more when you go to STJ. Last time I didn't even take a blow dryer.
TravelinTexasGal

Post by TravelinTexasGal »

Great idea bevm! I'm leaving my hair dryer behind too!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

In South Beach, all the restaurants automatically put the tip on your bill. I guess they felt like they were getting ripped off by tourists.

Anyhow, there is a thing on the menu saying they automatically put a tip of 18% and you can add to it or subtract from it based on service. Our waitress forgot Chris' food. She wrote down his burger, asked him how he wanted it cooked, and then just brought conch fritters and a club sandwich. When we asked where his burger was, she said "What burger?"

I was going to make her take her tip off the bill (hello, awkward) for her indescretion, but then I went to the ladies room, and they had proudly posted a review of their restaurant on the wall, framed and everything. The review actually said "If you can get past the indifference of the staff, the food here is really good."

I think our system is a bit flawed, but what do you do about it. But generally in my personal experience the waiters and waitresses who add the tip to the bill (whether it is policy or not) are usually pretty indifferent and, at times, downright rude. One time at a sorority function we had a large party and our waitress was so rude that we called the manager over and told him that there was no way we were giving her an 18% tip. I think she thought she could treat us badly because her tip was "guaranteed."
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

flip-flop wrote:
PA Girl wrote:Haven't done/seen but have on list for Feb. trip -

Trinidad Charlies

Trinidad Charlies - What's that? Never heard of it. What am I missing!?!?!?!
He is the hot sauce guy. From what I hear, he has some pretty fantastic gardens and welcomes people to stop by. He also rents one or two tent cottages.
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Back in 2005 when we were eating at Miss Lucy's, Trinidad Charlie was there :-)

His hot sauce is outrageously kickin' - especially the Pumpkin version!!
Peace,

Lisa
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Very cool - thanks for the info on Trinidad Charlies.

I have a friend in Trinidad right now and she was recently posting to Facebook that she's working on her "Trini" slang. I thought she said Trani...oh well, it was funny to me.

Lots to do and see next time and very little I wouldn't do again!

Keep them coming I am getting lots of good ideas.

As for the light packing, I am SERIOUSLY REALLY GOING TO TRY! I have been blaming my kids for the past many trips but I won't have that excuse this time. Hold me to it. I never take a hairdryer, just tooooo many clothes! Then I end up wearing the same 3 or 4 outfits over and over!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

For next time, DO:

Get organized and send a box in advance!
Try the food at Shela's Pot
Rent a dinghy (still haven't done this!)
Book a boat charter
Go back to Jost Van Dyke (haven't been since 2004)
Take another sunset sail

DON'T:

Lose the jeep keys.
Wait too long before coming back. :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Lulu76 wrote:In South Beach, all the restaurants automatically put the tip on your bill. I guess they felt like they were getting ripped off by tourists.

Anyhow, there is a thing on the menu saying they automatically put a tip of 18% and you can add to it or subtract from it based on service. Our waitress forgot Chris' food. She wrote down his burger, asked him how he wanted it cooked, and then just brought conch fritters and a club sandwich. When we asked where his burger was, she said "What burger?"

I was going to make her take her tip off the bill (hello, awkward) for her indescretion, but then I went to the ladies room, and they had proudly posted a review of their restaurant on the wall, framed and everything. The review actually said "If you can get past the indifference of the staff, the food here is really good."

I think our system is a bit flawed, but what do you do about it. But generally in my personal experience the waiters and waitresses who add the tip to the bill (whether it is policy or not) are usually pretty indifferent and, at times, downright rude. One time at a sorority function we had a large party and our waitress was so rude that we called the manager over and told him that there was no way we were giving her an 18% tip. I think she thought she could treat us badly because her tip was "guaranteed."
I had a GREAT experience with the wait staff at The Lime Inn...we paid the bill and added a NICE tip along with it. I took my little girl to the ladies room and when I got back my friend said the waitress brought the bill back because she didn't think I realized the gratuity was already included. I was so suprised and impressed with her honesty...I ended up giving her an additional tip...
swoop

Post by swoop »

My next trip in 2010:

Do:

- Go back to Zozo's

- Scuba dive in STJ (avid diver, never go when there!)

- Try to make it to Woodys for every happy hour

- Have my pic taken for Woodys website!

- Attend a forum gathering

- Charter Lion in da Sun again.

- Most important, travel with just my wife...no more
friends with marital problems!!!!

Don't:

- Travel with friends with relationship problems...did
I say that already?

- Rent fins from shop by the Tap Room...rude people..

- Take a day trip to St. Thomas...why bother?

- No Jost in 2010...somewhere else perhaps..

- Travel with friends with relationship problems...
I'm really determined not to do this..
linne

Post by linne »

Thank you for the explanation JT. I fully understand that about the underpaid staff. What wondered me, was that about the difference about the size af the party, but I think, I understand it now. If it's a bigger party the tip is already on the bill, but if it's a smaller party the tip will not be on the bill?

Linne