STT: Point Pleasant, Secret Harbor or ??

Travel discussion for St. John
jayseadee

STT: Point Pleasant, Secret Harbor or ??

Post by jayseadee »

HI,

Looking to spend a few days "on the beach" following a sailing trip next spring.

Caneel and the Ritz are in the "splurge" category.

Stayed at Secret Harbor last year and really enjoyed it.

Anyone have any recent experiences at any other beach resorts on STT (not interested in the Westin)?

I have read mixed reviews for Point Pleasant; also found condos listed in vrbo - any benefits booking directly on the PP website vs vrbo?

Basically looking for someplace with decent accomodations(A/C required), close (walkable not hikable:) to the beach and a restaurant on site and/or close taxi to restaurants (we won't rent a vehicle). We have a late afternoon flight, so we don't need to be by the airport.

thanks,
janet
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

PP has a very tiny rocky beach. It is also very hilly and it's quite a trek up and down to the restaurants and pools. Parking and navigating is kind of tough up there, especially at night. Agave terrace restaurant is really good as is Fungi's. PP is close to Smith Bay Park (formerly Lindqvist Beach - my fave STT beach) and to Sapphire. IMO, Secret Harbour is the best choice. There are some decent units at Crystal Cove which is right on the same beach as Sapphire but the area is not nearly as pretty as SH. Short of a small villa in Dorothea (Rockworks or Stone Cottage) or Caret Bay (one of the Caret Bay Villas), SH is where I would base for time on STT.

- Margy
Taghan

Post by Taghan »

Although we haven't stayed there recently, back in 2005 we spent a week in one of the Crystal Cove condo's on Sapphire Beach. It wasn't anything fancy, but the unit we were in was clean, comfortable and you can't beat being on the beach!
byado18

Post by byado18 »

We like the Marriott -- especially staying on Morningstar Beach!
lisak428

Post by lisak428 »

We stayed in one of the Crystal Cove condos on Sapphire Beach this past November. The condo was very clean and comfortable. Although not real fancy, it was certainly functional. The location is great and the beach is there is beautiful. We used bestbeach.com to book it and had a great experience.

Lisa
Connie

Post by Connie »

We stay at Sapphire everytime. Rent through the owner directly. We like it because it's so close to Red Hook and convenient.

There's also this cute little place that I've had my eyes on for some time. Some day I hope to stay there.

Here it is.

http://www.stonehousevi.com/index/Sunflower_Studio
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Are the Sapphire condos part of a resort? I remember spending a day at Sapphire Beach several years ago and there was a great bar with entertainment and the best pina coladas on the planet.

Are there restaurants within walking distance?

I'll also check Frenchmen's Reef, but think we'd prefer to be on the East End and not close to town.
janet
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Six of us stayed at Elysian this past May. Found it thru VRBO. Well appointed condo, with nice views of Pillsbury Sound & STJ.

Quiet property. Well kept. Great bartenders!
Connie

Post by Connie »

jayseadee wrote:Are the Sapphire condos part of a resort? I remember spending a day at Sapphire Beach several years ago and there was a great bar with entertainment and the best pina coladas on the planet.

Are there restaurants within walking distance?

I'll also check Frenchmen's Reef, but think we'd prefer to be on the East End and not close to town.
You have the condos on the beach and then Sapphire Village up on the hill. Unfortunately the bar is closed now, but you still can get drinks, and food on the beach. The only walkable restaurant in the Grapevine up the hill in the Villas.

Red Hook is so close you can almost see it. You could walk, but the roads are so narrow that it would be dangerous. There are cabs at Sapphire that will take you anywhere you want to go and there's also a Budget rental car at Sapphire.

A car is a must anywhere on STT because of all the things to see.
c3p1

Post by c3p1 »

I just came back from Sapphire beach--loved it. Big beach, plenty of places to 'hide'. Also has a water center there, so snorkel equip, kayaks, windsurfing are all available.
The pool bar is closed, but they still have a place open off the beach with drinks and burgers.
Again close to red hook for groceries and ferry.
good luck!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Thanks.

I'll take a look at Sapphire, as well. Seems to be lots of options on vrbo there; didn't notice any off-season minimum stays as we'll only be there 3 nights.

Since it is for next spring, I'll probably wait until the first of the year to book; might be able to get some deals then.

No car this time Connie. This is just a chill couple of days. If we feel ambitious, we may play a round at Mahogany run.
janet
Connie

Post by Connie »

Jay, when are you going to be there? I have rented off the same person. This will be our 3rd time. Whenever it's just my husband and myself we stay at Sapphire for the convenience.

If we're down the same time, we'll give you some rides if you need it :lol:
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I may take you up on that offer.

We'll be there May 1-4, 2010.
janet
Connie

Post by Connie »

Jay, we'll be there at the same time, so keep that in mind. We stay in the B building.