~Livin' La Vida Lovango~ Trip Report day 4

Travel discussion for St. John
msgcolleen

~Livin' La Vida Lovango~ Trip Report day 4

Post by msgcolleen »

Oct 4~ Great day for sailing!

Today is our sailing trip with Captain Robert on his beautiful boat “Night Train.” We sailed with him last year and it was the highlight of our trip!

Unfortunately we got a call from the couple we met the day before saying they couldn't make it since they celebrated a little too much the night before! Fine with us! That meant more room & more rum for us~ 8)

Captain Robert and his first mate Rebecca picked us up at the Lovango dock and sailed over to Henley Cay right across from Caneel Bay.

They dinghied us in with lunch supplies and set up our own little island watering hole right on the beach! No we didn't drink all that~

We grabbed our gear and headed out to snorkel to the right and bingo! Healthy colorful coral with schools of blue tang, yellow jacks and swarms of silver fry!

We were on the hunt for a lobster lunch but no luck~

They did find this sea spider and sure enough it was crawling just like a spider!

After lunch we cruised right over to Scott Beach at Caneel Bay! Not a soul to be found since they were closed. We picked up a mooring ball and jumped right in! WOW! Beautiful Elkhorn coral! (sorry these pics suck!)

We were looking for turtles but no luck. We hung out on the deserted beach for a bit then back to the boat.

They saved the best snorkeling for last, which happened to be right behind Lovango at Congo Cay point. OMG! I have never seen such a forest full of colorful coral formations, rainbows of fish and tarpon!! Don't tell anybody about this sweet spot!! (oops):shock:

As we sailed through the cays, Rebecca showed us how to snorkel behind the boat as it was moving!! No need for fins!

All good things must come to an end so we sailed back to St. Thomas as the sun was setting for "happy hour" (in our case, happy day!)

They brought us back to Lovango in a big dingy and we promised to come back to St. Thomas later in the week. Sure thing~

At the dock we saw Marcy and Dan talking with Captain Phil, the Wayward Sailor who is building a house on Lovango. He just returned from the states. What a great guy! He said we could go check out his house up the hill anytime.

A giant full moon was rising at the end of this glorious day!! After a nice soak in the hot tub and grilled shrimp for dinner we were done!
~~~~Good night full moon~~~~ :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Taghan

Post by Taghan »

I'm loving your trip reports! Keep em' coming!!!
loria

Post by loria »

You are just having too much fun! Love reading about it!!!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

So that is what a sea spider looks like? I would have guessed it to be some type of star fish! Awesome find...Now I also need to get a book about all the different sea life!!!
Thanks again for another great report!
Jo
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

I'm loving it! Hate to see your vacation end!
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Colleen,
I am also enjoying your Lovango trip report. What a unique location.
As a side note, I just took photos of Elaine Estern dressed up as Cleopatra. She was headed to a Halloween Party at the Love Shack on Lovango because the owners Toni and Wally are there. I can imagine that will be fun!

- Ruth
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

How beautiful it is at dusk......I want to stay at Lovango

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Hey Ruth! You should have put on your chicken hat and gone over there with her!!
Hope no one's driving home tonight~ :shock:

nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We LOVE snorkeling Congo!!! The colors there are so gorgeous and everything is so healthy!
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

msgcolleen wrote:Hey Ruth! You should have put on your chicken hat and gone over there with her!!
Colleen,
I could have done that, you're right!
I'm all set for a Halloween costume now.
Thank you for the reminder.

- Ruth
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I love the fact that you seem to be adjusting to "island time" very easily! :D Hot tub and grilled shrimp... mmmmm!
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I have mentaly photoshoped my wife and I into each picture you posted. :lol:
parafins

reports...

Post by parafins »

This is one FINE report.I'm loving every bit of it.Did you explore on foot Henley Cay? Thanks again for sharing.Parafins :D
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Hoosierdaddy~ Love the mental photoshopping idea! I'll be doing a lot of that on upcoming trip reports~

CG~ Island Time came easily on Lovango~~I have to say this was the first time I actually felt like a local.

Parafins~ I don't recall thinking that you could explore Henley Cay. No trail that I could see from the beach. Just tasty underwater views! I was a happy girl! :D

Rachelle & Joe

livin la vid lavongo

Post by Rachelle & Joe »

8) Really enjoying you sharing your trip & Pic's !! Thanks :)