Ten dollar parking at Caneel

Travel discussion for St. John
hugo

Ten dollar parking at Caneel

Post by hugo »

In a move that will NOT be popular on island, Caneel reopened yesterday without free parking for beach use, etc. They will now charge a flat $10, which will be waived if you spend that much on food, etc, while you're there. Looks like the parking along the road by the front gate will be crowded in the future....
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Guess things are getting tough at Caneel also.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I don't think we've ever gone to Caneel without hitting the bar or having lunch or something so not a big deal for us.
I can understand it I guess. And there are other options that will get you there w/out parking if you are really bothered by it.
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

The only beach we visit that requires parking is Honeymoon. Bar prices seem to be a bit on the high side when you can take a 10 min ride over to the Beach Bar.
What's the other option? Taxis??

But it's like everything else, when you've been doing it for over 10 years, you kind of take a second look.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

there are trails that will get you to Honeymoon if you are so inclined. I'm not inclined so a fun cocktail on the way out works for me :lol:
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

trails can be inclined. therefore I'm not inclinded.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

promoguy wrote:trails can be inclined. therefore I'm not inclinded.
LOL!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

SJfromNJ wrote:Since I have to pay $10 to park, I hope they don't mind if I go out to Scott Bay for a snorkel. I usually eat a lunch there too.
Ask forgiveness not permission. :wink:
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

I guess $10 is a small price to pay for a day on a beautiful beach. And not have to be bothered finding a parking place elsewhere. :)

We pay that here on LI to get into parks & beaches from April to Oct, and some places charge all year long.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I agree, though we might be starting down a slippery slope. We'll pay to park at Caneel, and be grateful they decided to give $10 credit at the bar.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I personally think that this is more than fair. I've only stayed at Caneel during the off season, and even then parking is very tight. The whole front of the lot is taken up by taxis (as it should be). I'd guess there are about 20 other spots before you have to park along the side of the road leading to the lot. I imagine it's much worse during the on season. I do think it's nice that they offer you a credit back. Tip: many cocktails are $5 each at the bar, 5 PM to sunset. :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

My only thoughts are that they could be shooting themselves in the foot. The only reason we've ever even considered staying at Caneel with its outrageous prices is because we've walked around the grounds (for free) and liked the place. From the beginning if we had had to pay, we probably never would have gone there or ever considered staying there.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

I would think that if you were staying there, parking would be free,as part of the amenities. The fee sounds like its for non-guests/visitors. I might be wrong.

This might be the beginning of alot of new charges occuring,in other posts & forums,sounds like STJ & STT has finally started to feel the recession?
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

I have mixed feelings about this... Caneel is undoubtedly feeling the economic pinch like everyone and is looking for innovative ways to provide income, and they certainly have a right to charge whatever they want to park on their property. But Honeymoon Beach is where my wife and I were married and we make a pilgrimage there on every trip. But I guess I should be grateful for all the free access I had there in the past, and look forward to discovering their bar drinks!