Grande Bay Pool Photos

Travel discussion for St. John
cruzanluvr

Grande Bay Pool Photos

Post by cruzanluvr »

Here are recent photos of the Grande Bay pool area that were sent to me by the owners who we rent from. They say pool, hot tub and gym should be done by year end.

This building will house the reception area on the first floor, the gym on the second floor with views towards the bay and the sun deck is on the 3rd floor. There is a cascading waterfall on the left.Image
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

NICE! We have two trips planned before going to Grande Bay--and these pictures and the umbrella reports are making me look forward to it!!

Gina
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

When we were staggering up to Gallows from either Woody's, the Tap Room, or the Beach Bar, we noticed that stone masons were busy crafting what appeared to be a waterfall.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

So many beautiful images of STJ get posted here , the TGIF , the Frank Bay Sunsets, the trip reports, etc - IF posting photos of this architectural monstrosity that will forever mar the Cruz Bay landscape makes people want to come visit STJ my faith in the Forum community is severely shaken.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Exit, I'm afraid a lot of these people don't even think much about why you and I are upset. St. John now attracts people who don't care how outrageously illegal and just plain shameful a development may be,
On the bright side, there is a possibility that Grande Bay might be denied their occupancy permit, due to more law breaking--they apparently never built the second level of parking required by DPNR, per Craig Barshinger last week, so they are in violation of their building permit...although we all know they paid all the right people, one way or another, so it's a faint hope.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

hugo wrote:Exit, I'm afraid a lot of these people don't even think much about why you and I are upset. St. John now attracts people who don't care how outrageously illegal and just plain shameful a development may be, . . .
I have no idea that anything about Grande Bay is illegal.

I do know that it enabled me to spend a few extra days on island and support other local businesses. Also in speaking to STJ residents they were optimistic that these "grande" developments might bring in additional tourist to help stimulate the economy. It was obvious to us that business was substantially down from the same time period 1 year ago and 3 years ago.

Would you prefer that it just sit there empty?
janet
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

hugo wrote:Exit, I'm afraid a lot of these people don't even think much about why you and I are upset. St. John now attracts people who don't care how outrageously illegal and just plain shameful a development may be,
On the bright side, there is a possibility that Grande Bay might be denied their occupancy permit, due to more law breaking--they apparently never built the second level of parking required by DPNR, per Craig Barshinger last week, so they are in violation of their building permit...although we all know they paid all the right people, one way or another, so it's a faint hope.
Yes, agreed, but.... the tragedy has already
occurred ! (?) No ???
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I personally think Grande Bay is much too large a development for the site---it should be half the size, at most. I am quite sure that Janet and other visitors would have been happy to stay at Grande Bay had it been built to a more appropriate scale---in fact, most of us would prefer it. Unfortunately, it wasn't built that way.

Developers like to maximize density---it increases their profits. This is not a unique problem---it exists in all places where development occurs. And, interestingly, the solution to the problem is well-known and is actually in practice in most communities----its called zoning. I am sorry that the Virgin Islands zoning officials are inept, crooked, or perhaps both, but the lack of zoning control is the nub of the problem, in my opinion.
---Jim
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

My comment was purely about the contrasting beauty of the photos that are generally the norm on this site and that are a welcome pleasure to view - versus the posted pics of Grande Bay - if people think this is a beautiful STJ scenic view then my faith remains shaken.
Last edited by Exit Zero on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baseball0717

GRANDE BAY

Post by baseball0717 »

I AM LOOKING FOWARD TO MY FOURTH TRIP TO ST JOHN IN
MAY AND JUNE 2010.I AM STAYING IN CRUZ BAY AT GRANDE BAY AND LOOKING FOWARD TO IT.I HAVE RENTED VILLAS AND STAYED
AT THE WESTIN.WE ARE STAYING FOR TEN DAYS THIS TRIP.WE SUPPORT THE ECONOMY WHILE WE ARE THERE.WE EAT OUT WE TRAVEL TO THE BVI.WE RENT CARS.WE BUY GIFTSI AM REALLY UPSET BY ALL THE NEGATIVE VIEWS ABOUT GRANDE BAY.I WAS REALLY EXCITED ABOUT BEING ABLE TO WALK DOWN TOWN.MAYBE WE SHOULD FIND ANOTHER ISLAND TO STAY AND HAVE FUN AT.GRANDE BAY SEEMS LIKE A VERY NICE PLACE .I REALY DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THERE IS SO MUCH NEGATIVE TALK ABOUT THIS
PLACE.WE GOT A REALY GOOD DEAL AND WERE LOOKING TO RETURN AGAIN AND AGAIN.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

The cows are out of the barn. Let it go. STJ is a place for tourists. Grande Bay is a fine option for some.

I wish people would stop telling other people that their choice of lodging is somehow immoral. It is vacation. I am sure the local restaurant owners and shopkeepers could care less where the people who spend money in their establishments sleep at night.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Hugo and Exit Zero: clearly you have strong feelings about Grande Bay. I don't know why, specifically, you are upset. What the developers have done that you say is illegal is unknown to me. I only know that the property appeals to me and that I am looking forward to staying there.

Exit, I'm afraid a lot of these people don't even think much about why you and I are upset. St. John now attracts people who don't care how outrageously illegal and just plain shameful a development may be.

Maybe you could use your frustrations to make a change. Take it up with the developers. We can only hope that the residents of St. John are standing up for their community. Please don't take it out on this forum community?

Gina
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I have been following the Grande Bay saga for some time and know why Hugo and Exit Zero are so against it. As soon as I saw the initial post before there were any replies I knew the thread would likely get heated.

Basically there were a lot of zoning violations on things like building height but apparently the right people were paid off so the developers got away with it. I completely understand being disgusted over the rules being broken, especially when it hurts locals. I won't be staying there because of my moral objections against it.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

Are these units privately owned? Like Gallows ?
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

The complete disregard for zoning regulations on STJ continues to amaze me.

How do they (developers and the politicians) get away with it?

If officials get "something" for looking the other way, don't the residents care enough to raise a fuss?