One Particular Harbour

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

One Particular Harbour

Post by liamsaunt »

OK, tell me about it. I remember some reviews when it first opened for renting, and it went from good to iffy kind of quickly. Something about water coming into the lower level of the house (hmmm). No TV (which is NO problem), broken pool (can deal with no pool).

Who has rented it lately? Are the issues fixed? Feel free to pm me if you want to. The road is not an issue for us, we made it up to La Mer and OPH can't be that much higher up the hill, can it? Or maybe it's on a different road, in which case tell me about the road :shock:

Thanks!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl

Post by VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl »

We, too, are interested in any recent visits to OPH. We booked some time there summer 2010, and would appreciate any updated review/comments/thought/suggestions regarding OPH. Road NO PROBLEM for us since we stayed at Orchid Knoll before! THNX for the help!
LovetoTravel

Post by LovetoTravel »

DITTO!!! We will be staying at OPH in April. Would love someone's first hand knowledge of this villa. This is also our first time on the Coral Bay side. We usually stay at Great Cruz Bay.

:P
Bart Wailes

OPH

Post by Bart Wailes »

I don't know anything about OPH but Lower Bordeaux Mountain Road or sometimes called Costanzo Road IS PAVED almost to the very top of the mountain now. Has been for almost two years. You might also consider Skyflower or Monkey No Climb which are at the very top of the paved road.
stjohn4

One Particular Harbour

Post by stjohn4 »

Hi liamsaunt:
I am one of the owners of One Particular Harbour. I came across your post and would like to answer some of your questions about our home. We have had excellent reviews since we started renting in 2004. The only “iffy” review we ever had was when our pool heater and clothes dryer “died” at the same time in November/December 2006. I am not sure what you are referring to about “water coming into the lower level of the house.” Perhaps, you are thinking of another villa? As for the television, it took four and a half years to get cable at OPH (you know, as in “cable soon come”) but we have had cable for two years now. Thank goodness our pool has never been “broken.” Maybe you are referring to the pool heater, which was a big headache and we stopped trying to fix several years ago. As already mentioned by others, the road is fully paved. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them.

VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl and LovetoTravel:
Glad to see you will be renting OPH in 2010. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Tarheelfan

Re: One Particular Harbour

Post by Tarheelfan »

[quote="stjohn4"]Hi stjohn4:

We have rented OPH starting 2/23/10 and have a few questions. We have always rented a villa on the other side of the island so we dont know very much about Cruz Bay.

Is there internet access and a computer? (hopefully not to do work, but to stay in touch with family)

Will the pool be in the sun during the day when we are there? And how cold is the pool water this time of year.

What is the nearest & best grocery store.

All but one review that I have read gives OPH great reviews so we hope that it lives up to our groups expectations. Any other info about the house or location, or dining options would be appreciated.

Thanks
nancyr84

One Particular Harbour

Post by nancyr84 »

Hi,
We stayed at OPH in 2007 and loved it. The only thing is that the pool did not get much sun and would probably be cold. It was heated when we were there and loved it. I guess it no longer is heated.
Nancy
Grace

Re: One Particular Harbour

Post by Grace »

Tarheelfan wrote:
stjohn4 wrote:

Is there internet access and a computer? (hopefully not to do work, but to stay in touch with family)

Will the pool be in the sun during the day when we are there? And how cold is the pool water this time of year.

What is the nearest & best grocery store.

Thanks
We stayed at OPH in May 2008 and we loved the house and views. The pool only got a few hours of sun in May. The pool water was warm at that time of year. I read the road is now paved all the way up so that is a good thing. When we were there it was an adventure once you got to the top. You are 900 feet up into the mountain. Loved that.

No computer/internet when we were there.

The location is good, close to everything. (gas station, Lilly's, restaurants etc) The house is very private and the views are awesome. If you sent me a PM I can sent you some pics. The porch was my favorite place to starglaze, happy hour and enjoy the fantastic views. The kitchen has everything you need. A/C in bedroom only. We did need the A/C a couple of times at night in May. It's a great house and how they built it into the rocks is amazing. Any questions sent me a PM. Enjoy your time on STJ, it's paradise. :D 8)
stjohn4

Post by stjohn4 »

Hi Tarheelfan:
Presently, there is no internet access or computer at OPH. However, several restaurants including Donkey Diner (Coral Bay) and Deli Grotto at Mongoose Junction (Cruz Bay) have computers that you may log onto for a small fee. If you bring a laptop, there are also wifi hotspots throughout the island.

I am not sure about the sun positioning in relation to the pool according to seasons. We are “beach people” and rarely use the pool. I believe it is in full sun until about noon then ambient sun the rest of the day.

Nearest grocery stores are Lily’s Gourmet Mkt and Love City Mini Mkt. We usually bring over our supplies from Cost-U-Less on STT. On the Cruz Bay side, there are Starfish Mkt, Dolphin Mkt, and Pine Peace Mkt. Prices vary. On-island, Starfish and Dolphin probably have the best selections. In Coral Bay, Lily’s is relatively well-stocked.

Dining options on the Coral Bay side: Sweet Plantains (expensive but worth it – especially recommend the West Indian curry shrimp on Fri and Sat nights); Shipwreck Landing (very consistent food, drinks, atmosphere); Miss Lucy’s (wonderful Caribbean atmosphere with some favorite dishes); Concordia Café (moderately priced, no frills, good food); Skinny Legs (drinks/burgers); Donkey Diner(breakfast/pizza); and Tourist Trap (lunch). All dining in Coral Bay is casual.

Once there, see the house journal and info binder at OPH for invaluable tips/suggestions. Hope this helps. Have a wonderful vacation!

nancyr84 and Grace: Glad you enjoyed your stays at OPH.