Less than a month to go! VI Eco tours? Dining?

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Less than a month to go! VI Eco tours? Dining?

Post by PA Girl »

We are less than a month away from our trip.

Part of the group of 9 consists of a 20-something couple, recent college/doctorate program grads. For their graduation present, my husband and I were thinking to paying for them to do the Caneel tour with this company,

http://viecotours.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=54

Anyone have information or experiences to share?

I am excited to hit the Tourist Trap as well as some of our favorite food/drink spots. I would love to hear feedback on recent visits to any of the restaurants.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Hi,

We first visited the Tourist Trap in November and had a great afternoon with Larry and Mary. It was supposed to be a quick lunch, but we ended up staying for a couple of hours - it was like we were visiting friends. It was early on Saturday and no one else was there. Great Time, Great Food.

In Coral Bay we had great dinners at Aqua Bistro and Shipwreck Landing. Visited Skinny's twice and it was so much better than our original visit about 5 years ago. Probably more our attitude than anything about Skinny's.

Spent a day at Vie's beach and had lunch at the snack shack. Loved the conch fritters; don't get the hoopla around the garlic chicken; good rice and beans; good coconut tart.

In Cruz Bay, we tried a few places for the first time. Rhumblines, La Tapa and Zozo's - all were great and higly recommended. While in Cruz Bay grabbed breakfast most days at Mojo Cafe - very good. Had breakfast at JJ's one morning - good food and even the service this time was very good.

Did lunch at Woody's on a rainy good - good sandwiches. I love Woody's when it is not crowded; don't go near it at happy hour. Also lunched and happy houred at the Beach Bar - always good.

Beers and Root Beers at the Tap Room - again, enjoyed it when it was less crowded. And one of our fave after dinner drink spots is the Gecko Gazebo in Mongoose Junction.

Have a great trip!
janet
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Our favorites are Miss Vie's for conch fritters and rice and meat sauce and tarts (agree about the chicken!), Tourist Trap for absolutely anything...it's like going to a family gathering (if you have a really nice family!), and Candi's Ribs in Cruz Bay are AWESOME!
We're simple folk. No fine dining.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Where is Mojo cafe? The name sounds familar but I know we have never visited. Is it new?

We will be eating out almost every meal. I agreed to cancel our planned June anniversary trip and therefore, I will be sort of on "strike" this trip. No domestic duties, aside from openning bottles, for me.

In all the years, we have never caught Vie's when she is open. Maybe this year our luck will change.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

PA Girl wrote:Where is Mojo cafe? The name sounds familar but I know we have never visited. Is it new?

We will be eating out almost every meal. I agreed to cancel our planned June anniversary trip and therefore, I will be sort of on "strike" this trip. No domestic duties, aside from openning bottles, for me.

In all the years, we have never caught Vie's when she is open. Maybe this year our luck will change.
It's to the right as you are walking toward High Tide. I think I'm desribing that right. It's a small stand with some tables.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Mojo Cafe is in Wharfside Village by the entrance to High Tide. Little outside place.

Others rave about the Surly Cantina, also in Wharfside, kind of in the middle. We didn't make it there. Actually stood in front of it and said "hmmmm - where is it?" and walked away - duh!

Oh yeah, meant Miss Vies rice and meat sauce, not beans. It was our first trip. The beach is great and provides lounge chairs. If you have time, drive all the way out to the East End and visit Sloop Jones shop (beware $$$).

We eat out a lot more than we eat in.
janet
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

jayseadee wrote:If you have time, drive all the way out to the East End and visit Sloop Jones shop (beware $$$).
Ah yeah, we learned that lesson last trip. Likely won't stop me from repeating again this time.
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

When we were there over Thanksgiving, we ate at:

High Tide - never been there prior, good casual food and atmosphere, live music on Mondays (actually thought Mojo was part of High Tide until we got a closer look)

Waterfront Bistro - excellent food and service, a bit pricey but maybe we all just ordered a lot of food that night, who knows

La Tapa - fabulous as usual

LaPlancha - first time there, LOVED it! We were a little surprised at how small it was inside, but that certainly did not matter. Everything was great and the owners really catered to our kids. Very impressive.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

martini girl wrote: LaPlancha - first time there, LOVED it! We were a little surprised at how small it was inside, but that certainly did not matter. Everything was great and the owners really catered to our kids. Very impressive.
I need to get over my issue with LaPlancha's location. I keep thinking I don't want to go sit inside, in a shopping center when I could be outside, looking at island views. Waterfront Bistro in one our list. Everyone has such positive things to say about the place.

Waterfront Bistro's on-line menu doesn't thrill me but the setting appeals to me. It is on the list.
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

PA Girl - we had kayaked & snorkeled the Mangroves on St. Thomas in 2003 with that outfit - it was AWESOME!!!! Great guides - beautiful & interesting... LOVED IT!
Peace,

Lisa
krislbi

Post by krislbi »

PAGirl-I am totally with you on the location thing (la plancha).
When are you going to be there? Maybe we'll see you at the Beach Bar.

We went to The Tourist Trap not long after they opened and spent a few hours there as well. Those guys are great!! Looking forward to heading back soon!! :)
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Kirslbi - I dropped you a PM.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

My husband had the same "issue" about La Plancha being in the Marketplace and not outside location/view. I MADE him go in June when were there and he wanted to go back again and again. We were there 3 weeks and I think we ate there 4 times. Trust me............it's that good.