What rental agencies do not charge extra fees?

Travel discussion for St. John
SRT

What rental agencies do not charge extra fees?

Post by SRT »

Do all agencies charge extra fees? What is the usual percentage? Are they upfront about it when giving a quote? Thanks.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Not all agencies. Only a couple / few. You should always ask what your rental will cost with all taxes and fees to eliminate a possible surprise. The only two that I know charge fees are Caribbean Villas and Great Caribbean Getaways. I have used CV and found them to be a fine company to work with. They have an excellent selection of villas and you can expect your rental experience to be worth the extra 5% especially if you are new to StJ or if you have problems during your stay. You can also expect the same service from other management agencies that do not charge the renter. VIVA has given us fine service WITHOUT a fee.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
edsfam

Post by edsfam »

Seriously, if Great Caribbean Getaways is now charging a service fee for their “services” I am laughing out loud.
In previous experiences with them they have:
Left a party unfamiliar with the island at the end of a driveway to “hop over” a security gate that David forgot the key to. This poor girl was left with hideous bruises. As Dave “needed to be somewhere man”.
Jim apparently fell asleep on the phone (with us standing in the office) while he was on hold with the car rental company that THEY ARRANGED for us that was at TOTAL nightmare.
Just a piece of the story involves an initial denial of a car ever being reserved by GCG, a VERY sub-Standard replacement car with a flat tire and spring-ridden back seat.
After requests for a replacement car (by us NOT GCG, they simply dropped the ball after their INSISTENCE on renting the jeep for us) the rental agency made a most bizarre call to the police which resulted in charges AGAINST the rental agency for renting a non- conforming vehicle.
ALL of this arranged by GCG and NONE of it good.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

I will clarify that I hav never booked through GCG. I have never seen them list a fee on their website while looking through villas listed by them. However, I ended up on their e-mail marketing list somehow and in one of their e-mails it noted that they were running a special that included discounts and a waiver of the 5% booking fee. That was the first I heard about them charging a fee or at least waiving a fee. :roll:
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"