I need a new camera..help?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Connie

I need a new camera..help?

Post by Connie »

I'm tired of the digital camera I have. I want something I can really get my hands around.

I'm looking at Cannon's, and I like to stay below 400.00.The SC20IX is looking really good to me, but I need some help.

Any ideas?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

I usually shoot with D-SLR's but I just got a Cannon G-11 and I love it! A little higher than your budget, but my husband bought it on STJ for $498 in early March- took great shots there and at some concerts I have been to in the last few weeks. Has a lot of flexibility and options and great color capture. I think regular stateside price is closer to $600 so STJ had a good deal.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

I forgot to mention mine is the Power Shot G-11- left the Power Shot part out....
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

I also have the Canon g11 and LOVE it. I paid $500 for it last Nov. and recently saw Best Buy had it on sale for $450, so thats pretty close to your budget. I have other Canon's and prefer them over other makes in that price range...you can go w/ manual settings or fully automatic. Something to consider is that some of Canon's models take regular batteries now. I prefer a rechargeable.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Good point about the batteries! I replaced another Cannon (SX 100 IS) that I got about 3 years ago, with this new G-11. The SX took regular batteries and the GX takes rechargeable. The rechargeable (even using flash) last a LOT longer. I find that the GX pictures are much higher quality, but the SX was a good camera, too. I think Cannon makes the best small ones, personally (and my large camera that I love is a Nikon)
jmq

Post by jmq »

With the G11 be aware you're paying for the RAW files, hot shoe, and other things more advanced users might look for. The SX20IS or even the SX 120IS for $199 at WalMart or Target would be a fine camera for most casual users.

The nice thing about most Canon point n shoots is that with an adaptor, you can use a polarizing filter with them. This makes a HUGE difference shooting in the Caribbean.

Funny about the batteries - I see the use of AAs as an advantage, not disadvantage, cuz easy to swap in a backup set of AAs if you go dead. Lithiums and higher quality rechargable AAs last pretty long (of course not as long as dedicated camera rechargable).
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

totally agree that the reg batteries were easy to swap- I just found that I was swapping them really often, especially when using flash. Always had a big bag of them with me at concerts! I like the extra features of the G-11 because I shoot with a DSLR often- so it may have more features than most need, but it is great!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I had a several-versions-back model of the Canon SX20 IS.

I loved that camera. I recently replaced it with a Canon DSLR and I am sort of regretting it.

What I liked about my "old version" of the "new" Canon SX20 IS is the optical zoom, which I used all the time.

I am struggling a bit with my DSLR. I need a different lens and maybe a filter as well as more time to experiment. My recent STJ vacation pictures with the DSLR are no where near as nice as in prior years.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

My experience w/ the usage of batteries is thru my sister who had a Canon point & shoot. We were vacationing together and she needed to buy more batteries than seemed normal to me. So if you buy the extras then must carry them along w/ you...additional weight that I wouldn't want, so I never bought a camera that didn't have a rechargeable battery pack. I don't like the wastefulness of 'use and ditch' batteries, but maybe thats just me? Of course it is a personal preference.

When I bought my camera alot of people were buying the Canon digital SLR's, and I just didn't want or need the bulk of that camera. Thats when I realized that I didn't need a SLR and found the G11.I have nothing against the digital SLR, my sister eventually got one and loves it. I couldn't be happier w/ this new camera's performance. I have found the battery life excellent.

Have you looked at the G11 Connie?
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Concerning batteries - my old Canon used AAs and like SJ, I bought rechargable ones (three sets) and I had two charges, a small one for travel and a regular one for at home. I learned to always keep a full spare set in the case.

With my new Canon, I am amazed at the battery life. I take a lot of pictures and I have yet to run the battery down. I pop it in the charger every once in a while.
jmq

Post by jmq »

PA Girl wrote: I had a several-versions-back model of the Canon SX20 IS.
Me too. I have the S3 IS. Only complaint is that wish it was a wider angle at that end of the 12x optical zoom.
PA Girl wrote: I loved that camera. I recently replaced it with a Canon DSLR and I am sort of regretting it.

What I liked about my "old version" of the "new" Canon SX20 IS is the optical zoom, which I used all the time.

I am struggling a bit with my DSLR. I need a different lens and maybe a filter as well as more time to experiment. My recent STJ vacation pictures with the DSLR are no where near as nice as in prior years.
That shouldnt be! You need to go to a real camera store and try out some zooms.

I would like to take the leap to a DSLR but thats not in the cards right now. I would probably take to it like a duck to water being I learned in film with a totally manual Mamiya SLR, then took a leap of faith on the Canon A-1 when it came out in the late '70s. The A-1 was the first SLR to use an electronically controlled autoexposure mode by using a microprocessor programmed to automatically select an exposure based on light meter input.
jmq

Post by jmq »

SJ - - that Nikon L110 is a fine looking camera for less than $300 - shoots HD video too.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

PA Girl- I feel your pain with the DSLR. I actually had my DSLR first before getting this smaller one, and once I got the right lenses and filters I absolutely love it! But on island, with the boats, beaches, etc, etc, the bulk of it gets to me, so I really love this G-11. However, keep working on your DSLR- once you really start to play with it and get the right lens I am sure you'll love it. I still prefer my DSLR over everything if I really want the most amazing shots- especially portraits. I almost always bring it with me to STJ and go out with it for a day just to get the more "artsy" shots-sometimes even with my tripod- and also get amazing shots of my kids on the beach with is (holiday cards!) - then I take my little one on hikes, to beaches, etc.