Dilemma.... island gravity sucking me in.....

Travel discussion for St. John
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Do I even need to tell you my philosophy?

Take every trip that you desire and that your employment and your budget can allow.
rpplano

Post by rpplano »

Amen, Vicki!
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

If you can do both go for it. Life is short. If that isn't possible, defer to hubby. Maybe he's feeling the same way. Good luck. That's a great problem to have.
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

I understand the hold that STJ has on you, we all do. But I think your ambivalence about Europe may be that you're going back to places you've already seen. There's so much to enjoy there...If you love Italy but you've done Tuscany, then you might love the Amalfi Coast. Or head someplace completely different, such as Prague. Or for an island experience, Malta or Mykonos. It could be that going somewhere new will make returning to the familiar of St. John even more enjoyable...

Robin
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

VickiH wrote:Do I even need to tell you my philosophy?

Take every trip that you desire and that your employment and your budget can allow.
Take vacations whether you can afford them or not...the memories will be priceless.

That being said, you're asking advice from The St John Tabernacle Choir for Pete's sake...lol.

( I know from the date of the original post what you've decided to do)
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

You didn't say exactly when you were going I believe, just 'later this year.' If it were me because I love both St. John and Europe and could never afford both in the same year, it would depend on exactly when you're planning on going.

If it's August--I would definitely prefer St. John because everyone in Europe goes on vacation in August--which means that everything is totally jammed or things aren't even open because no one's left to actually work!

If it's September or October then I'd opt for Europe--not as crowded as summer and the weather can be drop-dead gorgeous; perfect weather for the long days of walking we seem to do as we get lost in the various historical city centers. (Though with both Caneel & Cinnamon closed for both Sept. & Oct., STJ would be tempting too because it would be nice and quiet and lazy the way it was whe we 1st fell in love with the island.

Finally, it it's November or December, then for sure it's STJ--November & December in Europe is gray, rainy, and dreary and downright COLD & those scenarious don't appeal to me.

The poster who suggested going to places you haven't been to before in Europe is also right on I think.

Let us know what you finally decide!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Went to Prague two summers ago. And I grew up overseas so I've traveled just about everywhere. It's my husband who I've been dragging back to Europe.

We were aiming for September in Florence and Amsterdam. But I'm now thinking about STJ/Jost in early December.

I talked to hubby and he says he needs no excuse to skip Europe and is totally happy with spending 2 weeks in the VI instead.

He hates being in a plane non stop overnight and the jet lag usually kills him. Whereas STJ and Jost are really easy that way.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

I think you know which way I'd vote!!!!!!
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Girlfriend, DO WHAT YOUR HEART TELLS YOU TO DO :)
It's that easy, it's that simple.........and I know what both your & hubby's hearts are saying!
We have put off trips to Europe and Italy and Africa all for our ultimate vacay TOGETHER. Because in the end I won't care about what I saw, what I was wearing, or who I met. I'll care about the love and time I shared with my partner in life............my wonderful husband. Loving and relaxing away from the rest of the world! You & Andy LOVE your time on STJ together along with relaxing and "no schedules". I say %4^$ Europe and go HOME.
If you knew how much BS we get from our families about continually heading to STJ you'd appreciate our feelings.......which I know ya do ;)
Love ya guys........happy planning and vacationing whichever way you go...........but GO SOUTH!
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

Bigcheeze wrote:
VickiH wrote:Do I even need to tell you my philosophy?

Take vacations whether you can afford them or not...the memories will be priceless.

That being said, you're asking advice from The St John Tabernacle Choir for Pete's sake...lol.

( I know from the date of the original post what you've decided to do)
Can I get an Amen for this philosophy!! Once it is all said and done, all you have are the memories so I say go for it!!!! :lol:
larlardb8

Post by larlardb8 »

Vicki,
I like your philosophy!!