renting a car vs. taxi tour of Tortola

Travel discussion for St. John
kathyE

renting a car vs. taxi tour of Tortola

Post by kathyE »

We are on STJ and plan on taking the ferry to spend a day on Tortola. We'd like to tour the island,travel the Ridge Rd, do a little shopping, find a place for lunch with a view, and try a beach.
Any restaurant/beach/travel recommendations?
Taxi tour or rent a car? Thanks so much!!!!
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

I Would rent a car, you can go where you want, beaches to visit, smugglers cove, cane garden bay, brewers bay, one word of caution, roads are narrower and steeper than stj.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Be prepared for some pretty bad roads(steep and narrow and full of holes) on Tortola but renting a car is definitely the way to go and remember it's a LOT bigger island than STJ. Getting from here to there takes lots longer than getting around on STJ.

Smuggler's Cove is by far the nicest beach on the island IMHO. Have a roti at the Jolly Roger.
kathyE

roads!

Post by kathyE »

Ok! Thanks so much for the warning about the roads! Good to know in advance.
Sounds like Smugglers is the place to cool off before taking the ferry back.
Thanks for the info!
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Hi Kathy
We have stayed on Tortola many times before we realized that we enjoyed St John more. Driving yourself is very do able, just not a easy as SJ. I have used Jerry's Car Rental many times, he's a great guy. He is located in West End and will pick you up at the ferry dock. His number is 284-495-4111.

If you drive, take the West road and go thru Carrot Bay, Apple Bay, Cane Garden Bay and then to Brewers Bay. Brewers is my favorite, there is a great little beach bar there named Nicole's. Serves great burgers at lunch time and makes the best Pina Coladas.

Here is the view of Brewers Bay beach taken from Nicole's deck.

kathyE

visiting Tortola...cars, lunch, beaches, roads

Post by kathyE »

Thanks to all who answered so many of our questions!
Given it was Easter week, we ended up renting from Hertz($70), survived driving through Roadtown to see the botannical gardens then got out of there fast!Stopped at Nanny Cay-loved the pottery shop suggested, Bamboushay! My husband was enchanted by the marina---so many beautiful sailboats. Drove up to Sage Mt, and the Skyhigh lookout point. As my husband is a real road warrior, he did not mind the roads---which are really not bad, just very steep.
We were starving and never made it back to Jolly Roger, wish is right next door wheere we had to return the car. So we stopped at The Sugar Mill resort(West End area)after we looked into the rum distillery(not yet in operation) and had lunch at their outdoor waterfront bistro. What a find!!!! The perfect tropical experience..gorgeous ocean views just feet away, pelicans diving all over,and the bluest water. My wrap was to die for, along with the painkillers. Now, I NEVER have more than 1 drink at lunch-but I ordered two! Yum!
HOWEVER-there is nothing like St. John! No comparison-and our all time favorite place to be. 364 days to go before we return....sigh!