Chateau Margot

Travel discussion for St. John
Moose

Chateau Margot

Post by Moose »

Has anyone stayed here recently or can you point me to any newish reviews? How about any additional pictures (other than the ones on the management company's website)?

Planning a trip for our families next year and need to gather up some additional info.

Thanks!

PS - if there are any other similar 6 bedrooms in this same price range ($5K-8K) let me know! We would prefer mid-island or Coral over Cruz.
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. ~ Daniel Burnham
loria

Post by loria »

have you looked at VRBO? there are a couple of nice options there
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
budman

Post by budman »

Hey Moose,

We stayed at Chateau Margot two summers ago. We really like the place and will probably stay there again. We had 3 families, 6 adults/6 kids. The villa has a large main house, a seperate guest cottage and a seperate two bedroom pod. These 3 buildings are set up close to each other joined by beautiful paths and stone stairs, but set up in a way that they feel very private.

Our friends were nice enough to let us have the HUGE master suite (incredibly large and comfortable suite). The bathroom was huge with a giant double shower. This suite stood out as much grander than the others.

4 young ladies ages 9-16 were also in the main houses other 2 bedrooms. The girls shared a bath I believe? Rooms were very nice and one had a great little curved balcony.

The guest cottage was very comfortable and private for another couple, plus it had a kitchenette. Very nice room and very private.

The two bedroom pod was stacked and housed 2 teenage boys and another couple. The adult couple said that they could not here the boys at night and I think the boys stayed up late most nights. Every room in this place seemed new and very clean, beautiful furniture, linens etc.

The kitchen was beautiful and awesome to cook in (I do the cooking) Everything was there that you would need. The ladies really liked the small breakfast sunroom next to the kitchen.

Pool area was spacious, well furnished and the pool was very large for St John, it was July and the kids were in it constantly.

The driveway is long and steep. It intimidated our friends at first, but they mastered backing in and out in no time. I like to jog and the driveway was a killer going up and down, but Bourdeaux Mountain road was great to run on. Villa doesn't seem far from Chateau Bourdeaux, but not an easy walk, the kids were not into it!

What I really liked about this villa was the private setting, big views, no neighbors to speak of and very very quiet.

Good luck choosing!
Budman
Moose

Post by Moose »

Thanks Budman, great info.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

We also stayed at CM 3 years ago and loved this villa and location. The pictures on the website are very true what you will find at this house. The only thing that I might add to what budman has already told you is there is also a very nice laundry room, a small office and half bath on the lower level. The kitchen is really great and we all loved the screened breakfast room. We appreciated having 2 refrigerators as we had a large group as well. The only thing that I wish that this house had was an outdoor eating area and maybe a hot tub.
Moose

Post by Moose »

Thanks Diana, do you think there is enough room in the main living area and pool deck area for 20-30 people for a bbq?
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Wow. 20-30 people, I'm not so sure about a group that size. Aside from the moving around space I'm not sure where you'd put the vehicles to get that many people down there. I think you could comfortably seat maybe 16 or so people but I personally would not want to put 30 people there.
Moose

Post by Moose »

Thanks, I am not worried about getting people there and cars, we have that figured out.

Thinking more about the outdoor and main living area and if it will be large enough, we don't need to sit everybody at a table its going to be casual.

Anyone else have any other ideas for a nice 6 bedroom mid-island or Coral Bay that has a nice outdoor and main living area that can accommodate 20-30 people for a BBQ/party?
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

If you're not worried about seating this many guests and transportation, I wouldn't rule CM out before talking to Kathy at Island Getaways who manages the house. Kathy is great and very honest and will give you some sound advise about whether this size gathering might be doable there. http://www.islandgetawaysinc.com/chateaumargot.html

After staying at CM and other villas on Bordeaux Mtn, this our preferred location on the island. The down island view is stunning and it's so quiet and private and close to the northshore beaches and Coral Bay.
budman

Post by budman »

Hey Moose and Diana,

Two years ago there was an outdoor dining area with a covered porch, probably added after Diana's visit? The covered porch is just outside the kitchen next to the pool. It had a nice big teak table and chairs for 8 people and a grill. I looked at some photo's and discussed it with my wife and we think the villa would work (20 is better than 30 though). The pool deck has a large area on the left that, in my photo's, showed @ 8 of us with plenty of room sitting around, the covered porch area easily as many or more would fit. If half the guests are standing outside/inside and say 12-15 sitting around the pool there is room. The great room is right off the pool and it is large. The pool deck area between the pool and villa is narrow, probably 10 feet wide. The kitchen is also large. There isn't any outside space, grass or gardens, convenient to the pool. I picture people moving in and out of the villa during your party so it probably is good, especially since you are not concerned about the VERY VERY steep long driveway.

If I can figure it out again I'll send out some photo's. Check out skyway, it's Gifft Hill (not the area you're talking about, but it has 5 or 6 bedrooms, huge pool deck, outdoor dining, multiple outside seating areas and a grassy area off of and around the pool. Great sunsets for a party!
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Interesting that they added the covered dining area as I discussed this with Kathy when we stayed there 3 years ago. She asked if we would prefer a hot tub or a outdoor dining area and we said the covered dining area hands down. Good to know that has been added. I'd love to see pictures of it if you have any.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Hi! Ristaba has 6 bedroom and an upper and lower deck. It is located over Great Cruz Bay though, just in case you are flexible. Good luck and enjoy that party sounds like fun!
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Moose,

Skyway and Ristaba are great alternates. I've visited both but I'd be sure to ask the property managers if the owners will give approval for a party of that size at either villa.

Both have large outside spaces - Ristaba has move covered then Skyway. Both have amazing views.

Best of luck to you!
NancyB