What's the ideal yet practical amount of time for your stay?

Travel discussion for St. John
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

10 days at least. A week isn't long enough for us. We feel like we just wind down and then it's time to pack.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We agree that the first and last days are only travel days. Having said that, we spent 7days/6 nights on STT in 2007. Soon after that we discovered how easy it is to stay on STJ for the same money. In 2008 we spent 8days/7 nights on STJ. We determined that this was not enough time either. In 2009 we stayed 10days/9 nights. It is still not enough. This year we are spending 12 days/11 nights. Let's see if this helps.

We too feel very fortunate to be able to get there at all. If we have to limit next year's trip to 8 days/7 nights, we will still get off the plane at STT with a silly grin on our faces and enjoy what we have.

We'll see you on May 21st.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

djmom

Post by djmom »

Agree with everyone on the 10 day thing. 7 days is too short, but by 10 I am getting a little tired of being wet all the time and I start getting a funny rash from either bug bites or it might be the sunscreen.

We go hard core every day, no villa gravity days and we are on the beach from morning till late afternoon.

We might last a few days longer if we included had a villa day in there, but not an option for us to go much longer anyways.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
michele

Post by michele »

Since, we've been home (March) I simply cannot get that place out of my head. Daydream about it all the time..and I'm already trying to plan our next trip.

Lawmom, its been 1 year since we took our first trip and I STILL can't get it out of my head!! We talk about it, look at our pictures, etc. and are beginning to talk of planning our next trip. We stayed 10 days and that was a nice amount of time....of course, I still wasn't ready to come home yet tho'!!
dtenel
Location: My feet are in Michigan....My heart is in St. Thomas

Post by dtenel »

We found out a few years ago that a week anywhere on vacation is just not long enough. When we go to STT with out the kids, we go for 11 days. That is just the right amount of time for us, and probably all my sister in law can handle with 2 extra kids! Thankfully they are 13 & 15 so they are basically self sufficient :D

When we go to Florida every year with the kids for spring break we go for 12 days. It is pretty sad that our kids also think 7 days is not enough!!

I would much rather go to STT than Florida, but lets face it, going to STT 2x a year for 11-12 days with the kids would be pretty expensive! Plus, hubby and I like to keep STT "kid free"!!

That all said....I think 11-12 days is perfect so you can have 10 full days enjoying the wonderful Caribbean!!!
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

My wife and I have visited St. John twice . . . each time for a week's stay.

Our next visit will be for 31 days. This is only possible because our jobs allow us to telecommute and we will be working part of the time we are on St. John.

Don't hate us!

TM
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We always do 10 nights except our 8th trip was only 7 nights. It was still great and worth going but it felt on the short side. I think 12 to 14 days would be outstanding.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
loria

Post by loria »

i always try for at least two weeks--our honeymoon (way back when) we planned on two and stayed an extra week) this was back when the airlines didn't screw you for changing your plans--we;ve done 'long weekends (5 days) and that is really just a tease and sort of depressing--still i will take what i can get!--the past couple of years we've done 2 weeks or slightly more over christmas and that feels good (though i can always stay longer!) this coming trip is 8 days--I am thinking it will feel very short. but am lucky to be there at all. I agree with dtenel, less than 2 weeks doesn't give you enough time to decompress.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

ToonMann...I don't know you, and I'm sorry, but I do hate you 8)

2 weeks for me is a must..I work 12 months a year, and 7 of them 6-7 days a week. I deserve 2 weeks damnit! Would take more if I could afford it....maybe one day!!!! I never get antsy or tired of being away (we don't have kids), and I could lay around endlessly!

I begin the count down to going home on the 1st day of the 2nd week..am always depressed by Wednesday! But ALWAYS grateful that I am able to travel as I do.
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We are two weeks. The first time we went, 15 years ago was for one week and my wife and I agreed that when we came back it would be for at least two weeks. Until we purchased our timeshare we would rent a villa for a week then move in with friends for the second or vice versa. Now after buying our own, when the first week is up we just carry our bags down a couple units to our friend's. We have very good friends.

Ideally I think three weeks would be perfect. A month would be max. But I don't think that is anything I have to worry about in the near future. Hello lottery.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

We've lost count of our trips but after many over many years (nearly 20 now) we have decided that 3 weeks is perfect. Two is not quite enough and a month is a little too long.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I would love to go for 2 weeks, but we usually settle for around 10 days---it just seems easier for me to get away from work for that length of time.

Last trip was 11 nights---loved the extra night or two.

I do not let anyone talk about departure plans---at least around me--- until the day before we leave. The trip is short enough already---I don't want to have my mind focus on leaving.
---Jim
BillVT

Re: .

Post by BillVT »

Diana2 wrote:We've lost count of our trips but after many over many years (nearly 20 now) we have decided that 3 weeks is perfect. Two is not quite enough and a month is a little too long.
See? I knew it.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

10 was the longest for me and I wanted to stay longer. I guess it depends on who I was with and the weather conditions. 2 weeks would be nice I think.
lovethebeach

Post by lovethebeach »

Our last few trips have been 14 days. We spend 7 days on St. John and then island hop through the BVIs always spending our last night on St. Thomas before heading home.