Tonight - May 13 "Real Housewives of New York City"

Travel discussion for St. John
augie

Post by augie »

betsyabel wrote:I really just wanted to smack them and shout, "Hey, stop it! Look around you!" :roll:
You could have ended that sentence once you got to the seventh word...
Come see us!
larlardb8

Post by larlardb8 »

Watching that mess was an hour of my life I will never get back. :D

I said the same thing when they were snorkeling!! Stop thrashing around....no wonder you dont see fish!

Wow. Just wow.

My dad, however, summed it up great, "This is an awful lot of torture to see a few minutes of bliss"...
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

The really sad thing to my wife and I is we work our asses off to experience STJ as often as we can afford it- those spoon fed prima donna bitches would never come close to "getting it." How sad, how pathetic. One of the most beautiful places on God's Earth, and they could care less.... then again, I truly wonder if anything would make them happy.
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Connie wrote:I thought the same thing about the airport. Nobody around, anywhere. I wonder how they did that?
A movie crew closed down the Zakim Bridge for HOURS for Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz to film a movie. Still not sure what the city of Boston got for it. I'm sure the same holds true for the situation at the airport.
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

tjwgrr wrote:The really sad thing to my wife and I is we work our asses off to experience STJ as often as we can afford it- those spoon fed prima donna bitches would never come close to "getting it." How sad, how pathetic. One of the most beautiful places on God's Earth, and they could care less.... then again, I truly wonder if anything would make them happy.
People who have the funds to rent Presidio del Mar and a yacht like The Olga for a quick jaunt with a few girlfriends are different from what many of us might consider the "average" person who goes to STJ. But rest assured, there are plenty of folks like these gals who do. Fortunately, they seem to keep to themselves in their uber villas and yachts. It's not a bad thing. :lol:

I'm sure women like that would be mortified that many of us cannot appreciate the craftsmanship of a $12,000 handbag. C'est la vie.
Pia

Post by Pia »

For some reason I think that the show pays for the trips and they are not out of pocket any money but not 100% on that.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
lprof

Post by lprof »

To me, it is important to remember that visitors to the islands come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and lifestyles, carrying different sized wallets, and seeking a variety of different experiences. Is it not good that ANYONE can visit St John and find a place to stay that meets their needs or fantasies... from tent to mansion to somewhere in between?

"Real Housewives of New York City" IS a TV show; I don't like the portrayed personalities or their behaviors, BUT I suspect that in their real "real life" they are much more likable and much more like most of us - different lifestyles and circles perhaps, but not totally rotten. It IS about money... tv audiences and commercials (many!), selling books and music, making appearances, etc.
How often is the "Turtle Time" scene repeated by "ordinary" visitors??? Maybe there is not so much fiction there!
As Pia said, the show's producers probably paid for this trip, but these housewives most likely could have gone off on the exact same adventure paying their own expenses. I wouldn't dislike them for that. As for the squabbling... maybe the housewives would have had a wonderful trip with lots of gorgeous pics to share if the trip had only been a vacation. (Bet they have some anyway.)

How long would anyone bother watch the show if the characters were all sugary? Or if they interacted as nicely as we always do on this forum??? :roll:
Well... I would watch as long as I thought I might see some aspect of St John, even for a few brief moments, but I really enjoy seeing the photos shared here much more!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

So true Pia and Lprof. The producers probably do pay or even negotiate free or reduced rates in exchange for the advertising they get by having the yacht etc. featured on the show.

I often wonder if my day to day life were edited for a "reality" show, how would it look. I cringe to think of a compilation tape of my "moments". :roll:

There are plenty of people with that kind of money who do things like this on a whim. We have friends whose bestman from their wedding married a woman who is a trust fund baby. Her dad has yacht that he chartered out for 75K a week. For a birthday celebration, the wife invited 5 couples to spend the week on the yacht in the Caribbean. Our friends were one of the couples. The crew, after realizing that the group was pretty down to earth, revealed NO NAMES but had some funny stories about the rich and often famous and their rather colorful behaviors.
hugo

Post by hugo »

From what I gathered while this group was here last fall, I'd doubt the WOMEN paid for anything--how real do you think they are? Individually they were pleasant and competent professionals off camera, and while every action and word may not be scripted, their behavior and story-line certainly is. Much of the staging was discounted for the publicity (villa, yacht, etc.) The only real difference I noted from a regular film set was the lack of massive make-up and wardrobe support.
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

hugo wrote:From what I gathered while this group was here last fall, I'd doubt the WOMEN paid for anything--how real do you think they are?
About as "real" as anyone else who stands in front of a camera to make a living. :lol:

Whether the show is "scripted" or a situation where the women are given a scene and whatever ensues is filmed is unknown to me. I just know it's kind of like a train wreck- you wanna look away but.... it's my laundry day guilty pleasure. It makes the mundane task of folding laundry comical.
RJ in Wisconsin

Post by RJ in Wisconsin »

Did you notice they mentioned that they were "landing in St. Johns"?
My dream is to live on St. John & vacation in Wisconsin(only in Summertime)!
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

RJ in Wisconsin wrote:Did you notice they mentioned that they were "landing in St. Johns"?
I did notice that. I also was looking at the bravotv forum and didn't see anyone call it St. John. actually a few called it St. barts. I am not sure where they got that, is there a hopper trip coming in next weeks episode?

If St. John was hoping to boost tourism it is really a shame that they were calling it St. Johns.

G
lprof

Post by lprof »

XOXO wrote:
RJ in Wisconsin wrote:Did you notice they mentioned that they were "landing in St. Johns"?
I did notice that. I also was looking at the bravotv forum and didn't see anyone call it St. John. actually a few called it St. barts. I am not sure where they got that, is there a hopper trip coming in next weeks episode?
If St. John was hoping to boost tourism it is really a shame that they were calling it St. Johns.
G
When Ramona announced the trip she said "to the Virgin Islands"; then Bethenny landed in St Johns.:shock:

Somewhere in the preview clips Jill speaks of the trip to St Barts that she and her husband have planned.

I'm simply waiting to see the continuing coverage of the Virgin Islands then "Ciao!".

Edited to correctly spell Bethenny :oops: :wink:
Last edited by lprof on Mon May 17, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Yuck.
MJ
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Against my better judgement, I just watched it on-line. What a train wreck.

And what is up with the plastic cups on the yacht? I realize advertising is the goal and it was the Hooter's boat but could it get any tackier?