Newbie Tip # 6,793: Gas & Cash on STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
Gromit

Newbie Tip # 6,793: Gas & Cash on STJ

Post by Gromit »

I thought I posted this tip yesterday, but I must have not hit "submit" -- so here we go again!

Another thread reminded me to share the following tip I call it the 1/2 rule: When the gas gauge hits half a tank, I stop and get gas.

WHY you may ask? Here's why:

1) There is only ONE gas station currently functioning on STJ right now and it's located in Cruz Bay.

2) the aforementioned gas station has been known to RUN OUT OF (yes, I said it: run OUT of) gas. Sometimes for more than a day.

3) A jeep on St. John with no gas pretty much blows.

Depending on where you are staying on island and how much driving you are doing you can pretty much do a whole week on STJ on one tank of gas (depending on how full the tank is when you pick it up).

But I personally can't relax unless I know I've got at least a half a tank no matter what. It's simply not worth it to risk running out, especially if you are staying in Coral Bay (where Dominio has yet to re-open despite recent promises).

The same principal applies to cash. It's always a good idea to have $100-200 accessible because the ATMs have been know to run out especially over holiday week-ends.

Just my .02
Last edited by Gromit on Tue May 25, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Great tips Gromit. We had the "Gas issue" on our last trip. Coral Bay station was closed and so we headed to Cruz Bay with not enough gas and found they were out. It made us a little nervous and we had to change our plans for the day. The Cruz Bay station opened later the same day, but we will fill up sooner from now on.
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

Great tip Gromit. If you're staying on the south shore it's pretty easy. We drove by the gas station at least twice a day, so even though I knew it would mean multiple stops...if there was a pump empty when I drove by...I stopped. Peace 'o mind.
KT
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Good tip, Gromit. We never let the tank get below 1/2 while we were there.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Good tip and nice to know that the 1 week 1 tank ratio works for you also.