Can I have input on New Horizons II?

Travel discussion for St. John
HawkeyeChick

Can I have input on New Horizons II?

Post by HawkeyeChick »

My husband and I will be at Caneel in late June. I've been looking for boat tours and this one seems to hit all three places I've been wanting to see (Jost, Baths, and Marina Cay).

Has anyone been on this tour? How is it? When did you book for your trip? Is it smart to do it now (3 months early)? Also the cost on line is $135 per person but I thought I read elsewhere it was $120. Do you pay less if you book once you're on the island?

Finally, do you have to be a strong snorkler to do this trip? I've only been once and I have to admit I get a bit panicky around huge fish (baraccudas for example).
Bug

Post by Bug »

I did the New Horizons II day trip and everyone in my group really enjoyed it. The itinerary included breakfast (fresh fruits and breads - very yummy), the Baths, lunch on Marina Cay (which was excellent), snorkeling at Guana Island, and the Soggy Dollar on JVD. The crew was informative and fun. We booked our trip probably 2 to 3 months a head of time just to make sure we could go the day we wanted. As for the snorkeling ~ we had a couple people on our trip that didn't snorkel at all, so the crew gave them one of those noodle floaties and a mask. They loved it because they were able to get in the water and see the fish without feeling overwhelmed.

I know that some are skeptical about doing these trips because of the booze but we didn't have any problem with that at all. I can't imagine that the crew would have kept serving somone that was causing a problem. They seemed to have everything under control. Besides ~ if one person's being a pain, just throw them overboard :shock: hehehe

This was our first trip through the BVI's so it also gave us an idea of where we wanted to go back and spend more time. As for the price, I really don't remember what it was.

I hope the info has been helpful.

Bug
HawkeyeChick

Post by HawkeyeChick »

Bug, thanks! How was Marina Cay? We were thinking about staying at that tiny resort there but decided against it in favor of St. John.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

John and I did the NHII trip a couple of years ago. It is a good way to see the things they go to if you have not visited before. I don't think I would repeat the trip only because it makes so many stops so you don't get to spend a whole lot of time in any one place. Plus, (and I can't believe I am admitting this) I was not impressed by the Baths. It was somewhat interesting, but I guess I am just not that into rocks.

Marina Cay was very cute--very relaxed and laid back. The food was OK. Snorkeling at Guana Island was incredible and worth the cost of the charter alone to us. We also enjoyed hanging out in the hammocks at the Soggy Dollar. The crew was very friendly and professional.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
DnD

Post by DnD »

We will be on STJ next week and have a trip on NHII planned for next Tuesday. I will be sure to write a trip report when we get back.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

We did it in Jan. with12 people had a great time can't go wrong
HawkeyeChick

Post by HawkeyeChick »

Thanks everyone!! I'll be looking forward to that trip report.

Are there other tours worth considering?
Badger5

Post by Badger5 »

We did the NH II trip with our kids (ages 6, 11, 12 y.o. at the time). We had a wonderful experience. The ride over was fast and fun which thrilled our kids, the Baths were alot of fun to walk thru, lunch at Marina Cay was awesome. We never knew a place like that existed. We snorkled off the tip of tortola and then went to Jost. The waves were big the day we were on White Bay, and our kids took the Boogie Boards off the boat to shore and had a blast. Mom and Dad had a blast watching them with our painkillers!! The booze was not an issue at all the day we went. Everyone had a couple of drinks, but nothing out of control. We would do it again in a heartbeat! Hope this helps.
brenda

Post by brenda »

We did the trip last March and really liked it alot as first timers. Great overview of the islands. If the swells are big, recommend using one of those noodle thingies on the swim in to the Baths. On THIS particular day that we went the swells were big and it was tiring. Most of us girls used a noddle on the way back. Not trying to create a horror story here, just mentioning that it can be rough.

The website does say that it is $135pp not including BVI immigration fees, lunch, or gratuity. I can't remember our exact cost but it was a little less. I did get 10% off booking online, not sure if they still offer it. Drinking wasn't an issue on our boat either. It is not like a booze cruise. We got lucky. The boat holds 18 people and 6 cancelled last minute. Very nice day overall.

liamsaunt,
I ashamedly admit that one trip to the Bath's was enough for us too. To each their own :)

Brenda
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

What about sea conditions on this trip? Is the ride fairly smooth or have any of you experienced seasick trip mates?

I've (knock on wood here) never gotten seasick, even with fairly high seas in Maui that tested my stomach's resolve, but there's a first time for everything.
Bug

Post by Bug »

HawkeyeChick wrote:Bug, thanks! How was Marina Cay? We were thinking about staying at that tiny resort there but decided against it in favor of St. John.
We really liked Marina Cay. I can't remember what my husband ate but he still raves about it. My food was ok. Their painkillers were so strong I couldn't drink them ~ I know alcholo abuse. The Island itself is just beautiful. The day we were there they were setting up for a huge party. Aparently, Carona had a year long contest and all the winners were being flown to the Island for overnight accomodations, party, and concert from Hobbastank. We ended up having lunch with the Hobbastank guys. I really didn't know who they were but my daughter was sure excited when I e-mailed the pics home to her :D

Bug
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

alw1977 wrote:What about sea conditions on this trip? Is the ride fairly smooth or have any of you experienced seasick trip mates?

I've (knock on wood here) never gotten seasick, even with fairly high seas in Maui that tested my stomach's resolve, but there's a first time for everything.
The time we went the water was completely smooth all the way to the Baths. It was really nice. The captain did say that we were lucky, that often it can be a bit rough. I think it depends on what time of year you are going. We were there in June, and the ocean was just really calm. If you are worried you could always take a dramamine in advance.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

In my travel sea sickness isn't as bad when you are traveling faster over the water when you slow down and start to rock it happens more often sit in back is the smoothest ride and watch the horizion.
RickG

Post by RickG »

HawkeyeChick wrote:Bug, thanks! How was Marina Cay? We were thinking about staying at that tiny resort there but decided against it in favor of St. John.
We had friends stay on Marina Cay for three nights. They had fun, but ended up partying with the kitchen staff because there was no one else there at night. It's small and there's not a lot there.

We enjoyed the NHII experience. Here's what I wrote in our 2005 trip report:

http://www.garvin.us/STJ/Trip_Reports/2 ... of_10.html

We normally do a BVI day sail. This year we decided to cover more territory and opted for a high speed tour on the New Horizons II. We meet the boat at the Cruz Bay national park dock at 7:30. It’s a nice boat, but slightly cramped since every seat was taken. Capt. Dave, Ivy and Eliza have mimosas in our hands as we get settled. Breakfast is fresh fruit and fruit and chocolate quick breads/cakes. The itinerary takes us to Virgin Gorda, the Baths, Marina Cay for lunch, Diamond Reef for snorkeling, Jost Van Dyke’s White Bay for happy hour and back to Cruz Bayfor immigration.

I enjoyed the New Horizons cruise. It was a long day and a big crowd. Reviews from our group ranged from not enough snorkeling to blissed out smiles. Personally, I like the comfort of a big day sailing catamaran. But, I really enjoyed being able to cover a lot of territory quickly.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Buddles

Post by Buddles »

hi,

We were on the NH II tour about four weeks ago. We had a great time. Two people got on at St. Thomas and twelve others at St. John. I thought we were paying $135 each, but it somehow ended up being less. There were two non-swimmers on the boat and the crew made arrangements at the Baths to land at a pier and bus us over to the Baths - they were very accomodating. Try the conch fritters at Marina Cay - we had fritters at three different places during our trip - including at Vie's. The fritters at Marina Cay were by far the best! The painkillers on the boat could have been non-stop - it amazes me how much some people drink then want to jump in the water. My husband and I split one, just so we we have something to compare the original at the Soggy Dollar to. Painkillers at the Soggy Dollar were wonderful - the ones on the boat were too strong. It was a great day.