"Iffy" weather ahead

Travel discussion for St. John
Gromit

"Iffy" weather ahead

Post by Gromit »

Looks like there's a 'slight' chance of things clearing up this afternoon, but according to officials - not likely. And with more to come Saturday. Sorry folks. :cry:

Best advice-- check out the waterfalls and ghuts for a show. :roll:

The two words I really hate to see in an island weather report are: Tropical Wave. :shock:

They have a tendency to park and just feed on themselves, dumping lots and lots of rain. They can be very unpredictable and frustrating for tourists because there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

Hang in there!

http://stjohnsource.com/content/news/lo ... -territory

'Iffy' Weather Ahead for Territory
If the tropical disturbance that’s been hanging around for several days develops into a tropical depression, Tuesday’s rain, wind and thundershowers weather will continue. If it doesn’t, the weather could clear up starting late Tuesday.

“Right now there’s a 40 percent chance of it developing in the next 48 hours,” David Sanchez, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in San Juan, said Tuesday morning.

According to the National Hurricane Center website, there are no signs of circulation, but conditions are favorable during the next day or so for it to develop.

Even if it develops when it’s past the Virgin Islands, it will bring up moisture from the Caribbean, Sanchez said. This means more rain.

Don’t get too excited about the possibility of fair weather, though, because another tropical wave could hit Saturday. Sanchez said forecasters won’t have a better handle on its direction by Thursday.

V.I. Territorial Emergency Management Agency Director Mark Walters has no reports of rockslides, landslides, or major flooding.

“But we do have some localized flooding,” he said.

Sanchez said that if this weather develops into something stronger it will happen when it’s past the area, but Walters said VITEMA is ready for whatever comes along.

The rainfall has come in intermittent showers, but it’s starting to accumulate. Weather Station Zephyr at Ajax Peak, St. John, reported that from midnight to noon Tuesday .72 inches of rain fell. That’s the most in the last week. The total for July stands at 2.71 inches of rain. Last July 1.58 inches of rain fell in all of July but the average for the past seven years is 2.28 inches.

The Charterboat Center on St. Thomas canceled the Tuesday trip to Virgin Gorda.

“Because of the lightning,” manager Al Day said.

The Charter Boat Center only cancels when the weather is dangerous, Day said. If it’s just rainy, he leaves it up to the guests to decide. He said that often, they think that snorkeling in the warm water even if the rain is coming down is better than sitting in their hotel room.

On St. John, the Friends of the Park store in Mongoose Junction, was busier than usual, manager Karl Pytlik said. While people are grumbling about the weather, Pytlik had advice for them.

“I suggest they go out as see the waterfalls and guts,” he said.

Marti Gotts, who owns Vacation St. Croix villa management company, said that some of her guests don’t understand that she can’t personally fix the problem when utilities like power, phone, Internet, and cable TV go out because of the weather.

“But everybody’s taking it pretty good. I told them to open a bottle of wine,” she said.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Aren't you just the bearer of good news?

Wanna come over and kick our cat? Puncture my car's tires?
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

How about a sharp stick in the eye?

Bring DVD's and reading material :wink:
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Drink wine. That's what John and I are doing. :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

Well,well........Benn looking forward to this trip for a long time. Working too many hours and having to many problems in the real world to let all this bad news ruin my vacation. Maybe, just maybe the gods will stop the rain starting Saturday. I figure if we can just get there without our flight being posponed we will figure something out. Rolled the dice on this trip hoping the weather wouldn't turn. Underwater it's not raining ( if we can get in the water ) Everyone start chanting "Rain,rain go away, come back in a few weeks"
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

@Captain Jack: maybe changing your ticker to read "Rum in the Rain"?

Has a nice ring to it.

Trust me folks, I have been there done that and it's not fun. But you make the best of it!
RichC

Post by RichC »

Pray for this forecast...

Tonight...Cloudy with numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms. Breezy. Lows 83 lower elevations ranging to 72 higher elevations. East winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.
Wednesday...Cloudy. Numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...Then scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Breezy. Highs 88 lower elevations ranging to 82 higher elevations. East winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.
Wednesday Night...Mostly cloudy with scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms. Breezy. Lows 82 lower elevations ranging to 71 higher elevations. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.
Thursday...Variably cloudy with scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...Then partly cloudy with scattered showers in the afternoon. Breezy. Highs 88 lower elevations ranging to 81 higher elevations. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.
Thursday Night...Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Breezy. Lows 84 lower elevations ranging to 73 higher elevations. East winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.
Friday...Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Breezy. Highs 89 lower elevations ranging to 83 higher elevations. Chance of rain 20 percent.
Friday Night...Partly cloudy with scattered showers. Breezy. Lows 84 lower elevations ranging to 74 higher elevations. Chance of rain 30 percent.
Saturday...Partly cloudy. Scattered showers in the morning...Then isolated showers in the afternoon. Breezy. Highs 90 lower elevations ranging to 82 higher elevations. Chance of rain 30 percent.
Saturday Night...Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Breezy. Lows 84 lower elevations ranging to 74 higher elevations. Chance of rain 20 percent.
Sunday...Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Breezy. Highs 89 lower elevations ranging to 84 higher elevations. Chance of rain 20 percent.
Sunday Night...Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Breezy. Lows 84 lower elevations ranging to 74 higher elevations. Chance of rain 20 percent.
Monday...Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Breezy. Highs 91 lower elevations ranging to 81 higher elevations. Chance of rain 20 percent.
Monday Night...Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Lows 83 lower elevations ranging to 73 higher elevations. Chance of rain 20 percent.
Tuesday...Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Highs 90 lower elevations ranging to 84 higher elevations. Chance of rain 20 percent.
Shari

Post by Shari »

I'll take that forecast! How long will it take the multitudes of new mosquitos bred in the standing water to hatch? :shock:
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

About a week to 10 days and they'll peak after a couple of weeks.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Shari wrote:I'll take that forecast! How long will it take the multitudes of new mosquitos bred in the standing water to hatch? :shock:
Can I get an AMEN?

I'll take it. I'll take that twice
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

Looks like the sun is out - lets hope it stays out and dries the island up. AMEN!!
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Gigi wrote:Looks like the sun is out - lets hope it stays out and dries the island up. AMEN!!
It does look beautiful today!! Enjoy!

xoxo
shelli0001

Post by shelli0001 »

well thats more like it!

what about the next one coming? what are the chances that 2 in a row will stay over the islands for a whole week? probably not right? 2 or 3 days maybe, but not the whole week, pretty please?!?!
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

liamsaunt wrote:Drink wine. That's what John and I are doing. :D
I know I spend too much time on facebook when first thing I went to do after reading your post was go to hit the "like" button... :D