Tourist killed after being caught in gang crossfire

Travel discussion for St. John
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Welcome skipd! It really seems doubly bad because you should have been celebrating a wedding instead of begging the police to do their job. My heart goes out go you and your family. I bet it was very hard to travel without your passports. Do you have any advice for us from what you went through?

xoxo
Skipd

Post by Skipd »

XOXO wrote:

"Welcome skipd! It really seems doubly bad because you should have been celebrating a wedding instead of begging the police to do their job. My heart goes out go you and your family. I bet it was very hard to travel without your passports. Do you have any advice for us from what you went through?"

No wonderful advice other than keep your guard up and dont assume its safe. We have rented villas all over St John for many years and never really worried about breakins until recently. It is a good idea to lock your stuff up but that does not negate the fact people were roaming around our villa while my family was asleep. It could have turned out really bad. Also, the police will be of no help what so ever.
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

Also, the police will be of no help what so ever.

Therein lies the root of the problem.
bevm

Post by bevm »

Jorge wrote:I hear the local grown weed is not that good anyways. An old friend of mine was given a couple of joints at a bar in Coral Bay a few years ago. Not knowing what to do they purchased some brownie mix at Love City Market and made some snacks. The funny thing is that there spouse is a cop.
I heard that same story! But I believe the brownies came after the weed... :wink:
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

I don't really know where to start on this thread. I too am sorry this event occurred. It could have been anybody, anywhere. Just the luck of the draw. It's unfortunate that today's thugs have no value of life at all and could care less to the repercussions of what they may have done. I know that this is not an island thing but pretty much a nationwide thing. Being that we are stuck out here in the middle of nowhere, so to speak, accentuates the problem as everyone hears about it. I do my part, I call the police whenever I see anything is awry. It will take lots of attention which we need. I trust that soon this will be resolved. It was and most of them are gang related, which transfers over to drug related. If we can get folks to stop purchasing, then maybe they won't be on the corners asking everyone if they want to purchase. I know I will get flamed for that, but it does start there. Locals know where to find their source.
Since my college years over a quarter of a century ago, when I took a course on tourism, the greatest discussion came about over the following quip. "Tourism is our best asset and our worst nightmare."
Mind you, this was over 25 years ago. It went on to say how, one by one, beautiful islands go down the tube. You may find a new place to go, but don't tell anybody, as it will soon be like the last!

RL 8)
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

I am with you Ron, I don't even know where to start when it comes to this thread. I could go on and on and on and it probably wouldn't make much sense in the end.

So I will just pick one little tiny part to comment on.... the "angry glare", I know what you are talking about, and what the locals call it is "screw face". Very appropriate I think. I often hear people say "your screw face show who you is". I still extend common courtesy to screw face people, but I don't expect anything in return, and never let them ruin my day.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Stjohnjulie, when they talk about the screw face are you able to get a sense of what is at the core of it?

RonUSVI, I am not going to flame you. I think you are right.

xoxo
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

As far as screw face goes...it's hard to tell why someone is wearing it. Some people are just having a bad day, some people always wear it, and sometimes people just are trying to keep the sun out of their eyes. It's a little easier to tell why someone might be screw face after I say " G'Mornin' ". I'd say about a third of the people are trying to keep the sun out of their eyes, but the other 2/3's, well, I don't let them get to me.
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

Jorge - I thought you were done with this forum.
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Jorge wrote::arrow: :?:
JoAnn, I think Jorge was letting off steam. We all have had those moments. He edited the post after taking a breather. He is still around and well.

xoxo
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

So I see.
Jo Ann
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

Even in good ole Cape Cod has it's issues with violence. Just this past week a friend of my family was walking in Hyannis at night and was mugged and shot in the spine. He is now paralized from the waist down. Like the innocent girl that was shot on the road to Coki, he was in an area that has heavy tourist foot traffic and not a known area for violence. Will this stop people from coming to the Cape, HELL NO. And what happened on STT should not stop people from going there. I only hope that this sensless act of violence keeps fueling the locals to put pressure on the government to change its ways. And it's up to us who love to be here to show our support for the islands by keeping our plans to come here.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

"Will this stop people from coming to the Cape"

Nawww, that wouldn't stop me but I have other reasons for not returning to the Cape.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

Jo Ann - VA wrote:Jorge - I thought you were done with this forum.

Raging fluffs scare Jorge
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

Jorge wrote:
Jo Ann - VA wrote:Jorge - I thought you were done with this forum.

Raging fluffs scare Jorge
Umm....Jorge, you're one of kind. I'll stop right there.
Jo Ann