Something wierd is going on

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

skipd, here is the original thread that led to this discussion:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... hp?t=17307

Also, welcome to the forum! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Skipd

Post by Skipd »

Thanks, like I said I need all the help I can get! LOL
bevm

Post by bevm »

It always baffles me that folks go to STJ, leave for the beach and leave the house unlocked and the laptop, IPOD, etc. in plain view on the counter. How long does it take to either put it in the safe or hide it from view?
Lock the doors and close the windows when you leave. Yes, the villa is hot when you get back but who cares? It cools down quickly when everything's opened up? Make it as difficult as possible for someone to break in. Believe me. They want to get in and out quickly without being seen....
It seems pretty elementary to me...
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

We've stayed in a couple of villas that were next to impossible to completely lock. One in particular would have required that we use the hurricane shutters in order to lock it. Another had quite a few sliding glass doors. The locks on those things are a joke.

So, we put our stuff in the safe...or as much as would fit...and took our chances.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
bevm

Post by bevm »

We had a house once that we literally could not secure....We hid our stuff outside..
Terry

Post by Terry »

bevm...don't give out our secrets. Hiding stuff outside, pulling drawers out of dressers and hiding stuff in the back. Between mattresses also works well. We even pulled out the fridge and put some stuff back there once...but nothing that should be over heated. The oven works well too, but make sure to take your laptop out before you preheat it! Under couch cushions works, but can be hazardous if not removed before sat upon. :o :arrow: Dishwashers work well for hiding stuff too.

We've done it all and it seems to work...so far.
Connie

Post by Connie »

OK, I'm home in my house and I live outside of Philly. I go out in the garden. Am I suppose to lock my doors for that? I don't think so.

If everyone was out by the pool at your Villa in STJ or STT, are you suppose to lock every single door that somebody can come into?

Who has keys to the Villa? The gardener, the maid, the exterminator. Who knows them? How many keys are floating around besides the one you have in your hands?

Do they watch to see that no cars are in the driveway or around the house?

That's why original question was how do they know you are there? Somebody does or else they wouldn't waste their time.

There's not enough policing on either Island and if somebody wants to rip you off they will.
bevm

Post by bevm »

Terry wrote:bevm...don't give out our secrets. Hiding stuff outside, pulling drawers out of dressers and hiding stuff in the back. Between mattresses also works well. We even pulled out the fridge and put some stuff back there once...but nothing that should be over heated. The oven works well too, but make sure to take your laptop out before you preheat it! Under couch cushions works, but can be hazardous if not removed before sat upon. :o :arrow: Dishwashers work well for hiding stuff too.

We've done it all and it seems to work...so far.
Third cactus past the door...ten paces to the left, back 1/2 pace, left at the bougainvillea, right at the cistern, 12 paces down the hillside and right next to the dead iguana and voila'!
JT

Post by JT »

We never bring anything worth ripping off other then our wallets, passports and cash. We stash the passports, carry the rest. Makes for no worries.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Terry

Post by Terry »

JT,
Case in point...who takes their laptop on an island vacation? Not me. I go to get away. If I have access to the internet, I will, with no doubt, be checking my work email.

It's my vacation, not my partial vacation and the boss expects me to carry on as usual. Giving up the internet, to me, is a complete vacation.

I've gotten back to what "vacation" really means.

JMO
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Terry wrote: Case in point...who takes their laptop on an island vacation?
I do! :oops: But only so I can download my pictures out of my camera every night. I found out it was easier to keep track of them if I put them in a different folder on my hard drive every day. Plus, I bought a cheap computer to travel with so if it gets ripped, it gets ripped... when I travel with it, I remove anything I wouldn't want in someone else's hands. I keep most of that stuff on a different computer anyway. :D

Yes.... I did peek at the forum, but the internet connection was pretty bad for us the last time, so I didn't do much web surfing at all... and I didn't check e-mail!
SS in NC

Post by SS in NC »

I'd use some basic caution and find out from your rental company who is expected on the grounds while you are there and who has key access...also be prudent and either lock up in the safe, or hide any valuables...or only bring what you can stand to "lose"...I've asked for (and received) that information and know who has key access, and who may show up while we're on island where we are staying...I'd almost feel sorry for the one that is unexpected, assuming I'm there to greet them... :) An angry 6' 270 may scare off a thief...or I could get cut up like a pizza...either way, I'll take that chance, especially when it comes to protecting my family...but I truly doubt the worst will happen...plan for the worst and hope for the best...that is the mantra I go by...

All the best,

Scott