My turn for villa help from the experts

Travel discussion for St. John
Robin in NC

My turn for villa help from the experts

Post by Robin in NC »

Our group of six will be heading back for our fourth trip to STJ probably in early June. We're getting together Friday night to discuss where to stay, and I've selected 6 places to show. My criteria: at least 3 equal bedrooms with all queens or kings, pool, if not new then well maintained, excellent outdoor living, under $5000. Though I prefer the west/south sides of the island, we stayed in Coral Bay last time and definitely would consider it.

Anyone have experience with these villas - or others we should consider? Croix Vista and Palm Vista (Fish Bay), Vistaero and Villa Anansi (Rendezvous Bay), and Indigo and Sea Grass Cottage (Great Cruz Bay). Two other villas, Monte Bay and Heaven's Gate, had specials this year that we'd definitely consider if they keep them next year; otherwise, they're out of our price range.

Thanks for your help!

Robin
petepie

Post by petepie »

We stayed in Vistaero in May 09 with a large group. All five bedrooms have queens or kings (1 king in MBR, rest all queens), and some had sleep sofas in them as well. Pros: the view is better than the pictures, really spectacular, the house is very large, easily accomodated our group of 12, plenty of space in all the common areas, pool, decks etc. You definitely won't be crowded or feel like you're on top of each other! There is parking for 3 vehicles with room to turn around.

Cons: there are two bedrooms upstairs, with great views off the decks. The other three bedrooms are downstairs, all are spacious and equal with nice bathrooms, but the lower bedrooms did not have the views of the upper decks since there was more foliage in the way. Also, the house was well maintained while we were there -- it's older so there were some exterior issues (like sticky doors), but the interiors were well maintained, A/C units worked very well, furnishings in good shape etc.

Since we were there, I saw someone else reviewed it and said that it was not in such great shape. So maybe maintenance has been deferred. I would ask for details about current condition if you're considering booking it. Destination St. John was great to work with, I would book through them again.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

We Loved Second Wind in Reef Bay.
There are 3 pods. The main pod has living, dining, kitchen and one master with outdoor shower.
The other 2 pods are just masters with outdoor showers.
Pool (wally pool) and hot tub.
Quiet with a million stars are night.
Walking distance to Reef Bay

The Caribbean Villas site does not do the home justice in my opinion. We were very pleasantly surprised with how well it was maintained. The beach chairs could have been in better shape, but they worked and the cooler was too big to carry to any out of the way beaches.

The outside table is a little small, but you can fit six, just a little tight.
papabou

Post by papabou »

robin,

marc miller has a couple of nice villas he handles, casa bueno on bordeaux and sol inclination top of hill above fish bay that you may want to look at.

http://jamesmmillerpropertymanagement.c ... roperties/

we stayed at cb last summer and loved and tried to get wives to go to sol in this summer and they cut due to long drive, but what a nice view. rates include 8% vi tax and marc is super manager.

we like high up for views and another on our list of suspects is sea forever handled by catered to. she's on upper rockridge rd above allesandra, which might work, and treasure ridge, great viewsfrom villa but none from bedrooms and 3rd is not close to equal.

there are some nice ones in virgin grande est in your price range handled by car villas and destin st john.

happy hunting.

papabou
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

Monte Bay looks really nice and I always see that they run specials, which makes it extra nice. I don't know if this has been discussed here or not, but I just can't get past the name Heaven's Gate (so immature, I know!).
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Tom
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

you could look at Calypso del Sol - it has everything you are looking for.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Hi Robin---Indigo is a great villa and I highly recommend it. Two bedrooms are equal king bedrooms---the third bedroom is slightly smaller and has a queen bed. We have also stayed at Monte Bay---it has three nice bedrooms. I like that house but its overpriced---I would recommend it if you get a deal.E-mail me for further info on either Indigo or Monte Bay. You might look into Colibri and read Liamsaunt's recent review---that house has many updates that are not shown on the website.

Another house you might look into is Latitude.
---Jim
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. Jim, I remember your account of Indigo, I think it's what first brought that villa to my attention. And I took notice of Becky's review of Colibri, too. The improved outdoor space got my attention; the only question I need to inquire about is whether the twin beds in the third bedroom can be made into a king. Usually that's stated, but it isn't here.

Papabou, I Added Casa Bueno to my list. I'm ambivalent about staying on Bordeaux, but that looks like a great place.

Again, thanks everyone for your help!

Robin
papabou

Post by papabou »

robin,

we are all looking for the perfect villa which will vary due personal preferences, so thought i might owe a followup on casa b.

last summer at casa b is only 1 of 14 trips we didn't stay in west facing villa to enjoy sunsets and stt lights. we missed the sunsets but the lights of coral bay and tortolla are comparable. loved location and convenience getting to francis, maho & cinnamon bays. i loved the closeness to coral bay & environs but neither wife made the trip that way.

words of caution though. all 3 bedrooms open directly into the roomy great room; and the covered veranda and adjoining pool deck are not large for a villa of her size. we were at casa b with only one other couple and had plenty of room; 3 couples might find a shortage of "retreats" but probably wouldn't feel crowded. lprof? did a post last fall with bunches of pics of casa b that you might want to look at. they will probably give you a feel for the deck area.

don't belive you'll be disappointed with any of uspects mentioned but in all probability you'll look again for the next trip!

cheers,

papabou