Renting your car on St Thomas instead of St John

Travel discussion for St. John
hartpump

Renting your car on St Thomas instead of St John

Post by hartpump »

Ok so I am researching this... whom among you has done this? Pros/Cons is it worth it? I see some savings but I havn't taken a full accounting
To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail
donna ristuccia

Post by donna ristuccia »

some places on stj allow you to park in their lot while you're downtown. very helpful during high season.
baseball0717

CAR RENTAL

Post by baseball0717 »

I RENT THRU AMALIE CAR RENTAL ON ST. THOMAS .THEY MEET YOU AT THE AIRPORT AND ARE SO NICE. WE DRIVE TO THE CAR BARGE AND DO NOT HAVE TO LOAD OR UNLOAD BAGS. WE ALSO
SHOP ON ST. THOMAS FOR GROCERIES .WE THINK ITS THE ONLY
WAY TO GO.WE HAVE 4 TO 5 PEOPLE IN OUR GROUP.
inuny

Post by inuny »

Iif there's a problem with a car rented from stt, you have to deal with it yourself on stj. Also, as mentioned, some stj car rentals let you park in their lots in cruz bay.

As far as the savings, by renting on stt with 4-5 people, it probably costs less (no taxi fare or individual ferry fares) and you can save a lot by shopping on stt (except with luggage and 4-5 people in the car, there's not much room.

I've rented both ways and there are pros/cons to each.
inuny

Post by inuny »

Iif there's a problem with a car rented from stt, you have to deal with it yourself on stj. Also, as mentioned, some stj car rentals let you park in their lots in cruz bay.

As far as the savings, by renting on stt with 4-5 people, it probably costs less (no taxi fare or individual ferry fares) and you can save a lot by shopping on stt (except with luggage and 4-5 people in the car, there's not much room.

I've rented both ways and there are pros/cons to each.
patches&itchy

Post by patches&itchy »

We have to fly in from Cleveland....so there is usually a late arrivial on St. John leaving a small window to make the last car barge.

We travel mainly in the winter....so there can be delays to the legs of the trip. Plus it's dark by 6pm.

Flats happen on St. John or at the very least leaks in the tires due to various roads to the villas.

Peace of mind can be a very good thing as opposed to rushing to meet a hard deadline. Passenger Ferry operates very very late.....where as car barge shuts down hours earlier.

The one time we did rent on St. Thomas we took an early flight with the estimated arrival time of 2PM on St. Thomas. I knew the last car barge was pushing out of Red hook at @ 6PM......thinking 4 hours was a pretty good cushion.....I thought we were in good shape. After passing the Bahamas a passenger was having chest pains...and we had to turn around and land in the Bahamas. Passenger turned out to be ok but we didn't arrive until after 7pm.

Of course it is a personal decision....but I would rather just relax and not sweat anything when I'm on vacation..... Plane delayed...who cares......flat tire....who cares......leaking low tire....who cares....jeep trouble....who cares...... and renting on St. John gives me that! No problems!!
hartpump

Post by hartpump »

Good points about problems. I know first hand about flats. had one on driveway to villa (Aria) one year. Pitch Dark.. Never changed a flat on a jeep wrangler before. Several Adult beverages in the tank.. fortunately someone hapened to be driving up drive and at least gave us some lights form their headlights. Man that was fun. So flats and leaks are managable but mechanical problems requiring a real mechanic are entirely another. something to consider. I have emailed taht question to one car rental co. no answer yet.
To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail