Help for friends, Westin or Gallows Point?

Travel discussion for St. John
caribechris

Post by caribechris »

I have been going to STJ since 1992 and I did try Aruba once...and it was a different vacation...much more geared toward those who like the large resort life!!! I personally did not like Aruba at all. I would hesitate bringing any of my friends who LOVE Aruba to STJ.

So my vote would be for the Westin (been there visting a few times and it has that large reosrt feel they may be looking for.) Let them know that Aruba and STJ are very different vacations. STJ, no matter where you stay will be a much more low key vacation.

Never been to St. Marten so cannot comment.
jmq

Post by jmq »

IowaGuy has the best approach - give em an idea of the vibe of each and let them decide what might fit best. Also not a bad idea to include Caneel in the discussion, with the caveat that it is a bit of of a different kind of resort experience - just look at the reviews on TA from the high end types who are disappointed by Caneel to see what I mean.
PA Girl wrote: Twice we have had friends who did not fully understand what they are getting into with a STJ vacation.
PA - sounds like maybe you violated our "Lead Pipe Rule". That’s a rule we made after you go on and on about STJ or even a movie or restaurant or something to friends without any disclaimers, then they go based on your recommendation, and lo and behold, they think it’s not that great (or worse).

After this happens a couple times, I said to my wife the next time any of us start going overboard about something, will the other one please hit the offender upside the head with a lead pipe (figurative of course!).
So when one of forgets, the other whispers “Lead pipe, lead pipe”.

Nicer than a kick under the table.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

@Promoguy- Not strange at all, just offering another perspective to consider in the whole equation.

In case you missed it, I also acknowledged the OP's question regarding Gallows and the Westin with another thumbs up for VG based on proximity.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Gromit wrote:@Promoguy- Not strange at all, just offering another perspective to consider in the whole equation.

In case you missed it, I also acknowledged the OP's question regarding Gallows and the Westin with another thumbs up for VG based on proximity.
Sounded a bit condescending to me but hey.....
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Not intended that way at all. Take a deep breath and stop assmuming the worst.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I personally would choose Gallows in a heartbeat. Yes, the units do have galley kitchens equipped with stove, full sized fridge, coffee maker, etc. Gallows also provides daily maid service, which might be important to your friends if they are not "villa people." They'll even do your dishes if you cook in the unit. The views from both ocean and harbour units are really nice--I've stayed at both and enjoyed both equally.

I would choose an upper unit if possible. They are a little more money, but you get a two-level living space, with the kitchen, a full bath, two-story ceilings in the living and dining area, a seperate sleeping loft and half bath upstairs, and a good sized deck.

It's an easy walk to town. There's no shuttle service to the beaches, by the way. They'll have to rely on taxis.

As to Caneel being a good alternative for people used to the “big resort” experience, I have to disagree. You are not going to find the amenities and services at Caneel that the “big island resorts” provide. Caneel is all about the beaches, quiet, and solitude. If you come in unprepared for what it is, I think it could be very disappointing. Personally, I love it!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

jmq wrote: PA - sounds like maybe you violated our "Lead Pipe Rule". That’s a rule we made after you go on and on about STJ or even a movie or restaurant or something to friends without any disclaimers, then they go based on your recommendation, and lo and behold, they think it’s not that great (or worse).

After this happens a couple times, I said to my wife the next time any of us start going overboard about something, will the other one please hit the offender upside the head with a lead pipe (figurative of course!).
So when one of forgets, the other whispers “Lead pipe, lead pipe”.

Nicer than a kick under the table.
Ha! So true. I actually lead piped the second couple but in a different way. As my husband describes it, I "beat it into their brains" that STJ was different, don't expect it to be like Duck, NC, there is nothing to do, most beaches don't have bathrooms, the restaurants aren't air-conditioned, etc. and I was to "stop harassing them"

It all went in one ear and out the other. They didn't hear I word I said. Or maybe they couldn't imagine a like STJ actually existed, where people eat lunch with chickens under the table.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

PA Girl wrote: Or maybe they couldn't imagine a like STJ actually existed, where people eat lunch with chickens under the table.
LOL! That's one reason I go there! :lol:
Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

Gallows would be my choice as well.
Captain Jack

Post by Captain Jack »

Harbor views are nice at Gallows.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Pia wrote:Of the two choices, Gallows but do check Grande Bay (I know of a forumite that come Friday owns one :wink: ) so GB or even Estate Lindholm.

Pia
:wink: !

But, I have stayed at Gallows once and enjoyed it as well.......
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Congrats, Tracy, on your purchase!!!

Susan and Herb---You know your friends and we don't so you may know better what they will like. If Gallows is a good fit, I agree with Liamsaunt that the upper units are worth the extra money. We have stayed in the oceanfront upper units twice and the harbour view upper once---enjoyed them all, although none were the newly renovated units. We are staying at Westin briefly for 3rd time this next trip to use up some Starwood points and I'm looking forward to that as well.

I have referred a number of friends to St. John over the years and most of them have loved it---a few have returned repeatedly. Always makes me nervous though---I can hardly wait for them to get home to hear how it turned out. I did have one instance though where, although they were very polite and gracious about it, I could tell it wasn't a big hit. I have been a little more cautious ever since, unless I know their taste well.
---Jim
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

I have stayed at all, Gallows, Grande Bay and Westin time share units. I think you've been given all the info on all 3 that you can pass along to your friends and they can decide which one best fits their wants. I'm chiming in because I have been traveling to the caribbean for many years, with annual visits to Aruba and second to that, St. Maarten. To me, they each offer something different and well, STJ offers yet another something different. I love STJ and once found, have not recently been back to either Aruba or St. Maaretn, but I'm sure that I will return at some point. I really can't imagine anyone finding fault in the beautiful STJ beaches and the picturesque islands in the distance in every direction That is something very different from Aruba's flat, dry land, with endless ocean. I think they will like STJ. So maybe it won't become their favorite destination but then again, maybe it will. Point is, they won't know until they give it a try. Happy vacationing!!! Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
cmw5682

Post by cmw5682 »

I've stayed at Grande Bay and Gallows, and Gallows is my favorite. It has more of a 'homey feel' instead of a sterile hotel feel. I would highly recommend unit 10B at Gallows. It's newly remodeled with granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. It's right on the corner so if you look to the left you see the ocean but if you look to the right you see the bay. I LOVED the snorkeling at Gallows although the entrance can be a bit tricky. The pool was a little small, but beautiful and floaties were supplied!
Sadly, I am tickerless :(
suzi

Post by suzi »

Just returned last night from STJ. Stayed at Gallows ( wonderful btw) more on that in my trip report soon come. but I must comment on the Westin. We met a very nice young couple in taxi on STT on way to ferry. They were checking in at Westin. This was the week after the huge rains. We kinda looked funny and asked if they knew about any of the damage there. They did not have a clue and Westin had never contacted them to warn them or give an option. I nudged my husband to keep quiet and to let them find out for themselves. No use making them worry. The next day we see this same couple at Gallows! They told us that their pool front room was not open , pool drained, 2 restaurants closed, blah blah blah, so Westin said they would refund $ if they chose to leave. Westin gave suggestions for alternatives, but couple had to call and find a place themselves. Not a whole lot to choose from at this time of season with Caneel closed. It just seems to me that WEstin could have offered a half price discount if they wanted to stay there! It was either all or nothing! Oh, but Westin was giving free taxi back to town! Big deal!
We drove out to see for ourselves what the WEstin was like. It resembles a construction site to me! Workmen everywhere, pool drained and being scrubbed, pool side rooms being scrubbed inside and out. hot tubs drained, beach bar closed, the restaurant on the beach closed, tennis courts demolished The place was deserted except for a few guests here and there. I felt so sorry for the families there. With no pool or tennis courts or kids club! It just seems good PR to me, if Westin would have bent backwards to contact guests and given them a rain check, or option to postpone trip. Can you imagine showing up there with 3 kids all excited for this wonderful family vacation and then seeing all this? It almost seemed like they had the attitude that they would just deal with it when the guests arrived. Sorry, but I realize that this awful storm and hurricane were acts of God and properties have no control over that. but they do have control on how they react to the situation. Seems to me that Westin will loose customers because the guests will remember how they were treated. In the case of the couple that ended up at Gallows...can you guess where they will go back to when returning to STJ? NOT the Westin!
On another note, we did meet another couple staying in the villas at the Westin, and they were very happy there with no complaints. they did say that they wouldnt have used the pool or tennis anyway. BUT, when you stay at the Westin villas or hotel, one is paying for the use of all that.