Neighborhood Watch - La Papaya

Travel discussion for St. John
C&S Island Time

Post by C&S Island Time »

Barbara had mentioned that the driveway is steep and the cars are parked out of site from the road at Bongo Bongo (BB) and should deter someone from casing the place. But it didn't matter when we were staying at BB in April they walked right into the kitchen area one night and stole our laptop that was sitting on the counter while we were sleeping ! They did leave the dive camera and housing that was by the sink thou.

Basically, do not leave things sitting out, the criminals are looking for the quick grab.
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

While I totally agree with all statements (okay -MOST of them!) I think most of us are missing the main point. Dear LORD - I'm on vacation. I want to leave the doors open, I want to have the windows open, I want to smell that wonderful St. John smell, and I don't want to be concerned that someone uninvited and unwelcomed is in my "home". Am I as the visitor granted no sense of security? I should not spend my vacation "barring the doors with broom handles" and "stashing all small electronics for fear of people grabbing". If this is the attitude / opinion of St. John residents in general - I am not sure my dollars are well spent here. I live in a small town where I feel tremendously safe at all times. I think I owe it to myself and my family to find some place that affords me that same assurance.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Sue, I feel your angst. I don't want to have second thoughts about the elderly gentleman on the side of the road next to our villa who looks like he is breaking bricks all day and worrying about having locked everything up tight even when the windows are open. I don't want to worry about the handyman who obviously has a key to the owner's downstairs home and comes and goes during the day. Obviously they trust him but disconcerting at 8:00 a.m. looking over the pool deck in your p.j.'s to see someone that you don't know. I don't want to worry about the villa safe and how safe it is with our extra cash and credit cards inside (or the fact that the villa owner has a note on the inside of the closet telling you the code to the safe in case you forget). I don't want to lock the doors to the bedroom at night because I don't get the wonderful breeze if they were open. I definitely don't want to use the air conditioning unit popped into the upper wall in the downstairs bedroom because unfortunately it is full of mold and gave my S/O a terrific sinus headache 3 nights of our weeks vacation. With all that said, we are coming back for year 6 in 2011. I remember the first few years on STJ and we never, ever even thought about worrying. Anywhere you vacation in this time we are living in, you must be on guard and observant.....even in nirvana (sigh)....just wish it weren't so.
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

NCSue wrote: If this is the attitude / opinion of St. John residents in general - I am not sure my dollars are well spent here. I live in a small town where I feel tremendously safe at all times. I think I owe it to myself and my family to find some place that affords me that same assurance.
To say all STJ residents share this attitude and opinion is like saying most visitors are rude, condescending, entitled and have no appreciation for the customs and natural beauty of the island.

I do not believe either is completely true but I do believe there are some people who fit into these categories.

It would be nice to find a place where everyone is appreciative and respectful of each other, their property and the environment but that does not exist. The best you can do is be vigilant and do not leave anything out that would tempt a less than honest person. Times are tough and some people will resort to breaking the law in order to get what they need.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

If you do not want to take basic security precautions at your villa, that is your choice. But it is a fact that you are traveling to a small area that where people in a wide range of incomes reside. And tourists that leave their belongings unsecured are presenting a "crime of opportunity." If you make it a little harder, they'll probably move on to the next (unlocked) house.

Crime happens everywhere, even in small "safe" towns. Some of you might feel that you don't need to lock your doors at home. I would never take that chance and personally would not feel safe anywhere without a locked door.

Just a few weeks ago in a small and rural New Hampshire town, there was a conviction of a teenager who, with his friends, walked into someone's unlocked house and proceeded to hatchet the mother to death. The daughter only survived because she played dead. These teens did not know the family, they just decided to go out and kill someone--anyone. You don't know what everyone around you is capable of.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

I am glad to have this forum as a place for everyone to get information. Whether good news or bad, I think it is nice to have a place where folks can go and make their plans for visiting St. John. There is so much to learn, and you are usually there for such a short time. And you want that time to be BEACH time!

I have seen alot of changes to the Island. I don't see them as good or bad. They are all part of an adventure. Like when a local real estate agent (way before the forum) rented a place to us that was seized by the U.S. Marshalls. We had orders to vacate - at first - but then after talking to the Marshalls we were granted a reprieve if we promised to report immediately the return of the real estate agent. The Marshalls put a huge sticker on our door to the villa that cited some warning, I probably still have that picture! So what did we do? We called them of course! Just as soon as that real estate agent came back to his place which was right next to ours we called the Marshalls. Then we went to the beach.

The point is you never know what is gonna happen. Have fun, stay observant, take the high road in all situations UNLESS you are heading for the water. Sunny beaches and a painkiller.
_____
Things I have in common with a raccoon: dark circles under my eyes, stay up all night, eat junk.....you know the rest!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Barbara wrote:I am glad to have this forum as a place for everyone to get information. Whether good news or bad, I think it is nice to have a place where folks can go and make their plans for visiting St. John. There is so much to learn, and you are usually there for such a short time. And you want that time to be BEACH time!

I have seen alot of changes to the Island. I don't see them as good or bad. They are all part of an adventure. Like when a local real estate agent (way before the forum) rented a place to us that was seized by the U.S. Marshalls. We had orders to vacate - at first - but then after talking to the Marshalls we were granted a reprieve if we promised to report immediately the return of the real estate agent. The Marshalls put a huge sticker on our door to the villa that cited some warning, I probably still have that picture! So what did we do? We called them of course! Just as soon as that real estate agent came back to his place which was right next to ours we called the Marshalls. Then we went to the beach.

The point is you never know what is gonna happen. Have fun, stay observant, take the high road in all situations UNLESS you are heading for the water. Sunny beaches and a painkiller.
A similar thing happened to our neighbors across the street. They came back from the beach one day to find armed sheriffs (or some sort of lawmen) waiting for them. They actually had to pack up all their stuff (they were given 30 min.)and find other lodging.

They rented directly from the "owner." Turns out the "owner" was actually the tenant who had no authority to lease the house.

Further, the owners defaulted on the mortgage loan and the house was in foreclosure.

Our neighbors are 20+ year STJ visitors and they were just so shocked by what happened to them.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

jess116000 wrote:Is La Papaya located in Choc Hole? I tried to find it online. If so, I am staying in Choc Hole in Dec. I have not stayed on this side of the island. St.John is still much safer than most islands, but thanks for the heads up! Its good to be smart & aware no matter where you are!
Yes it's in upper Chocolate Hole. After you pass the Westin you take the next left, Rock Ridge Road, and it winds up the hill about 1/2 mile at most. We've stayed there in 08 & 09 with no problems. Look at the Destination St. John website for more info on the house.