First Windmill on St. John Rises on Bordeaux Mountain

Travel discussion for St. John
augie

Post by augie »

Chet is on the right track - pointing fingers after the fact accomplishes nothing, seeking out solutions before it's too late is a better use of folks time and (ahem) energy.

There are too many investors, and those that have profited from said investors (among them "original locals"), for STJ to make a practical return to its pre-tourism halcyon days.

Fortunately, the large portion of the island that is owned by the NPS, should go a long way to keeping it from going to the other extreme.

It shouldn't come as a shock to any but the most naive that if allowed to sully a place to make a buck, there are countless people that don't care one whit about the locals, or even the long term effects of their actions, that will do so.

The local government needs to step up and be a real force in managing growth or the predators will come, ruin the island, then move on. In the view of some long term visitors and locals, this has already happened. While empathizing with their point of view, I'd urge them to take a look at the "culture" of some of the club med type tourist destinations and realize that, in spite of its flaws, they're still sitting on something special.

No, St. John won't sink into the sea, or into oblivion, without ever increasing numbers of tourists, but I don't know that the present West Indian population would really be happy going back to an agricultural economy either.

Although the horse is already out of the barn to some extent, I like the island being a place where those who enjoy its beauty and access to activities can do so while embracing the fact that every beach doesn't have a bathroom, paved parking lot, and a nice road with signs to guide you there.

I hope to be able to go and visit there for many more years, and possibly even live there at some point in time. Other than that I have no vested interest in this struggle. As with most issues, a little more common sense and perspective from those on all sides would be in the long term best interests of all.

Now...where is my horse, shield, and lance?

:wink: :wink:
Come see us!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Muhaha, I hope no one thinks I'm shouting, I certainly don't intend to come across that way. I'm just stating my point of view. No one needs to agree with me, and I'm not trying to convince anyone to.
jimg20 wrote: What would happen to the island if a permanent change were made - one that cannot be reversed - that affected the attractiveness of STJ to tourists?
Too late. It already has. Many times.
jimg20 wrote:Would villa owners not be able to sustain their businesses because their loans and othere fixed costs stay at today's levels but their marketability drops? Would restaurants not be able to buy food and other supplies at today's rates because they have to lower their prices?
It's my bet that most villa owners and restaurant owners are not St. Johnians. They are the ones who brought the changes and they are the ones feeding off the tourist dollars.
jimg20 wrote:We are, however, the source of STJ's biggest import - US dollars.
You see? There's that statement again. I'm not saying it's not true, but it's sad.

No argument, no hostility...just my viewpoint. Take it or leave it. :)
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

California Girl wrote:No argument, no hostility...just my viewpoint. Take it or leave it. :)
To my friend California Girl, well said --- me too. :)

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

No I didn't take it that way...sorry, should have been more specific but one particular post in this thread was quite contentious for what I consider a laid back group of folks.
California Girl

jimg20 wrote:
To my friend California Girl, well said --- me too. :)

JIM
*Like* :D
MIke

Post by MIke »

California Girl

LOL, Mike! You're right! :lol:
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

Xislandgirl wrote:It is obvious that people don't agree on this issue, and it is no secret that DaveS and I disagree on a million things but...
Ridgerunner, that was nothing short of rude and childish.
Wow...thanks X for the support. I liked it better when the Banned Brothers of the VIOL were allowed to speak their mind... ie. Jorge, Soxfan, SJNJ,and support all of us non'fluffies... well I may be the only one left.

I support Coal, Oil, and Natural Gas... because I like hot showers, warm house, and driving my car, not to mention groceries that are delivered to our stores via these great resources. p.s. I also appreciate renewable energies, 100 years from now.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

i'm still amazed that some of us can't state opinions sans insults without being insulted.

still, this debate has been pretty darned tame. huzzah!

in massachusetts, we have a Cape Wind Project debate. many people on the cape do not want it cuz it will ruin their view. Some of the most liberal minded people in Mss (there's a lot of them I know) are against this alternative energy project. John Kerry does not support it. And I'm pretty sure the Kennedy's are all set with it too. I find it ironic. But, if you pay alot for the view, then, it does kind of suck to have it "sullied" by a windfarm.

I must say, hubby and I were just talking about the windmill noise. It's loud. and it would drowned out the natural sounds that we love to hear when vacationing. I would not rent a villa near windmill noise.

but I can understand why it would benefit STJ power bills. On this tiny island, is there a tract of land, square mile sized, that some could be put it? Maybe some off shore ones, offshore from one of the less developed sides of the island?
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

LysaC wrote: still, this debate has been pretty darned tame. huzzah!

in massachusetts, we have a Cape Wind Project debate. many people on the cape do not want it cuz it will ruin their view. Some of the most liberal minded people in Mss (there's a lot of them I know) are against this alternative energy project. John Kerry does not support it. And I'm pretty sure the Kennedy's are all set with it too. I find it ironic. But, if you pay alot for the view, then, it does kind of suck to have it "sullied" by a windfarm.

but I can understand why it would benefit STJ power bills. On this tiny island, is there a tract of land, square mile sized, that some could be put it? Maybe some off shore ones, offshore from one of the less developed sides of the island?

Lysa proponents of the project are making the Cape Wind project a Have vs. Have Nots issue by claiming all objections are because of issues with sullied views.

The reality is Cape Cod has the highest per kilowatt hour cost for electricity in the continental US. Only Hawaii is more expensive. There is also a 3.5% increase allowed for years 2-15. Just like STJ, Cape Cod has great socioeconomic diversity and a price increase like that would be difficult for the average citizen to afford. The same could happen on STJ.

I'm not averse to green initiatives but if you look into the facts, the green in the Cape Wind Project is about greenbacks.
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Obviously, windmill farms on the hillsides of STJ are something that I believe EVERYONE would like to avoid.

The real question is how do you bring reasonably priced electricity.

Can any one explain why solar isn't being more heavily pursued. Lord know it sunny enough. It would seem to be the less "invasive" of the renewables and well suited for the island.

I don't even recall seeing much low-tech solar for hot water application. Have you guys seen much solar in the villas you all have been renting?

What's up? Am I missing something?
hugo

Post by hugo »

There is a lot of solar hot water on residences, as opposed to villas. In general, villas have not been built with sustainability in mind, but at least one VERY upscale spot has recently gone 100% solar.
My friends on St. Croix are currently getting showered with excess emissions of sulfur dioxide from HOVENSA--Hess Oil Virgin Islands, one of the largest oil refineries in the world, 35 miles from us. I'd take turbine noise, thank you.
dctac

Post by dctac »

We are all fueling the demise of "old St John" in bringing our $ to the island not just the villa owners & entrepreneurs. We all Rent cars (congestion & pave dirt) leave trash, use power, use water on a desert island, etc,etc,etc But I think we all love St John.............
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Someone mentioned that they don't see houses near windmills. There is a reason for that. We have land that we may rent to a company that is going to erect windmills. They measured carefully to see if it was far enough from homes.

Some people mentioned noise but the effect of low level vibrations are also being studied because there have been some concerns.

In my opinion, wind turbines should not be placed within a half-mile of a home, school, or business. Hugo, that is something for you to think about if St. John residents want to put in more windmills. Aside from the noise and vibrations I find them to be quite peaceful.
augie

Post by augie »

DaveS007 wrote:I liked it better when the Banned Brothers of the VIOL were allowed to speak their mind... ie. Jorge, Soxfan, SJNJ,and support all of us non'fluffies... well I may be the only one left.
Sniff. Someone please pass me a kleenex...

:roll:
Come see us!