STJ with kids-November 23-Dec 1, pt 3

Travel discussion for St. John
Kentuckygirl

STJ with kids-November 23-Dec 1, pt 3

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Monday, November 29th
We slept in a little later, took some pictures around the villa, and hung out for a while before venturing out. First stop, Maho. I love this beach! It wasn't as calm as usual, but there is still something so soothing about it to me.
They must find it soothing too!

#3's sandman
The boys had a great snorkel along the rocks on the right side. They saw stingrays, huge tarpon, and a turtle.
When we got hungry, we decided to hit another of our favorites, Shipwreck Landing.

We started with a couple orders of conch fritters. I have a bit of a shellfish allergy, so I just had a couple bites, plus I wanted to save room for my fish tacos.
The food was all excellent! I don't think I've ever had something I didn't like here. It's a must do for us! After stopping for a few t-shirts next door we hopped back in our jeep, parked by this little boat.Image
We wanted to spend the afternoon on another beach that we thought the kids would enjoy and that they hadn't been to yet, so we decided on Cinnamon.
We went all the way down to the right side by the rocks, where we had the beach to ourselves.
Image #3 carried the raft the whole way and was a little tired when we got there.
We had a fabulous afternoon, playing in the water, the sand, on the rocks, snorkeling, and just chilling.

ImageImage
Dad and #2 coming back from snorkeling around the plane wreckage
It was getting late and we wanted to get back before dark, so it was time for us to pack up and move on. We had a low tire, and didn't want to try going up John Head Rd, so we took the long way around. I started to feel a bit queasy along the way, due to the roads. Well that's what I thought at the time. We were planning to eat in the villa for dinner anyway, so in order to get started cooking, "dad" dropped #1, #3, and myself at the top of John Head Rd, and we walked from there to CT, while he and #2 went to fix the tire. When we got there, I had to lay down a minute before I could start cooking. My stomach was feeling worse by the minute. Well, it finally clicked to me that it wasn't the roads, it was the conch fritter! I knew I couldn't eat oysters, clams, and similar anymore, but shrimp, lobster, and crab are usually fine. It had been a few years since a had conch, and I didn't think a few bites would hurt, but I was wrong, very, very wrong!
I'm going to leave it at that. The kids didn't starve and everything was fine by the next day.

Tuesday, November 30
The tire was temporarily fixed, but we had to go into town this morning to get it plugged the right way. I was fearful of losing part of our last full day of vacation, but they were very efficient. I was pleasantly surprised! Next stop, Leinster and Waterlemon. The boys snorkeled around the cay, but I thought the water was a little cold, so #1 and I just stayed near the beach, looking for turtles.
They said the snorkeling there was good, but they didn't see as much as we have in the past...only 1 turtle, and couldn't find the starfish bed. Bummer, we'll just have to bring them back soon! :D
We hadn't packed lunches, and were hungry by this point, so we headed to Cocolobo. We picked up sandwiches from Big Ben's deli and had a drink at Aqua Bistro, before moving on to Little Lameshur.
Life doesn't get much better!
Everyone snorkeled here. It was nice and warm!
ImageImageImageImageImage
It was really hard to leave the beach that day, since it was our last, and it was such a wonderful beach day!

Wednesday, December 1
We had a late flight out, so we had plenty of time to pack up, take pics, strighten up the villa, etc. and still had time to do some shopping. Breakfast was fabulous at the Donkey Diner!
ImageImageImage
Final photo time at the villaImageImage
Had to get #1 a hook bracelet, picked up a few t-shirts, and stocked up at St. John Spice. Sorry we missed Ruth, but we'll need to restock again next trip! We went to the ferry dock, and called Rachel. It was last minute, but we thought maybe there was a chance she might be free and could meet us, and she did. She is such a sweet lady! Everything went smoothly from this point all the way home.

Final thoughts:
We had wondered how the kids would do. Would they get bored? Would they want to do the things that we wanted to?
Well, I think they loved it as much as we do, and we loved having them there!
Villa - Cinnamon Tarn was great. It had the perfect set up for us, and I don't think the views from Catherineberg can be beat.
ImageUntil next time..
Image[/url]
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Oh what a nice report and such great pics of your #1, 2 and 3!! Cutie Pies!
Sorry about the sickness. No more conch tasting for you missy! :shock:
Thanks again for taking the time and effort to take us with you on your vacation. Cinnamon Tarn is on my short list but wonder if hubby could survive without a/c~ :? Did y'all sleep ok without it?
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thanks Colleen! It was actually chilly at night. The only thing that ever woke me up was the wind howling at times.
I won't take chances with conch fritters or anything else in the future. It was really bad. I didn't develop this allergy until a few years ago. I used to be able to eat anything!

I forgot to add this picture to the end of my report. This is what we came home to.
Atleast it put us in the mood for Christmas!
Image[/url]
MIke

Post by MIke »

What medication do you give your kids to make them
really seem to enjoy being with each other?It really shows in the photos that they get along great.I got to get me some of it.
I remember bring our 3 daughters 6 years ago to SJ for their 1st visit.Like you I wondered if they would enjoy it.To my delight they really GET SJ and have been back 3 times since and giong again in May.

I really wish they had hated ST John.
Mike
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

It is absolutely heart warming to see the kids showing such affection for each other.

A close friend of my father's developed a shell fish allergy in his late 40s. Prior to that, he ate all sorts of seafood on a regular basis. Go figure.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Those are great reports, great photos and great kids. Thanks for sharing them with us.

I think it's cool that you have your own "mini-me." :lol:

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Thank you so much for sharing...looks like you had a fabulous time:) That last photo, (or 2nd to last), could be your xmas card for next year!

Cheers!
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

SO great! Love seeing your kids. They look like they are having so much fun. They're older than mine, so I am picturing all the fun we'll be having when they are older! Mine are 10 and 6 and have been going with us since they were 7 and 3. It's such a great place to take kids- they always seem to love all the same things that you do!

But I, too- want whatever you gave them to be nice to each other- I need that!!

Thanks for the great reports and pictures!
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your report!! It was awesome and the photos show a very happy family enjoying St John AND each other! Well done!
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

Really enjoyed your trip reports. Looks like you and your family love STJ. You have a beautiful family!

Thanks for doing the trip reports!
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Hey kygirl- I just noticed your ticker- you'll be doing 8 Tuff as well! We'll be there, too! Beach Bar gathering, maybe?

Also- we plan to hit Skinny's for a burger after the race- it REALLY hits the spot then!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

great report! what a fun family!
thanks for the photo of Jeter, such a big boy!
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

LOVE, LOVE your TR's!! Thanks so much!! Your family is beautiful. We will be doing our day on the water with Capt John and my 7 year old son wants to stop at the Willie T for a jump! I already know what I'm getting for lunch, ribs!! Your son made them look soooo good :D
loria

Post by loria »

Great reports! loved them all--will yoru kids be going with you during february? We'll be there with ours--my son is 11, in 6th grade and my daughter is 14 and a freshman in highschool--we'll be staying over in Coral bay --
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Thanks for all the nice comments regarding the kids. We love them dearly, but they're not perfect, haha!
They do get along, most of the time :wink:

jimg20 "Mini me" :D

SOonthebeach, I noticed our VERY similar tickers too! BB and Skinny's both sound awesome!

Loria, Unfortuately we're not taking our kids in February. It would be fun for all of them to meet up! This is kind of a quick, last minute kind of trip, just the two of us. A hitchiker we picked up in November actually talked hubby into it for the race! And I'm always ready to go!!
Image[/url]