Pelican Rock

Travel discussion for St. John
phyl

Pelican Rock

Post by phyl »

Has anyone done any snorkeling at Pelican Rock in the recent past? That was one of our top snorkeling spots on our last trip (6 yrs ago...its been way too long!!!)
augie

Post by augie »

We've snorkeled there for each of the last three years. We've yet to see anyone that wasn't a part of our group out there with us.
Come see us!
phyl

Post by phyl »

Thanks. That will be on our "to do" list for sure. do you have any other out of the way places like that? I need some new ideas to keep the family on their toes!! 8)
augie

Post by augie »

Brown Bay. It's a twenty minute hike to the beach, but it's another place that you're likely to have to yourselves. And there is some very interesting snorkeling there as well.
Come see us!
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Knowing absolutely nothing about Pelican Rock....
How do you get there?
Where do you park?
Where do you enter the water?
Bryan
augie

Post by augie »

BRY1105 wrote:Knowing absolutely nothing about Pelican Rock....
How do you get there?
Where do you park?
Where do you enter the water?
You take the road past Skinny Leg's and continue east as far as you can go. You'll come to a cul-de-sac with driveways all going up from there (one of them leads to Sloop Jones' place).

FF&4WD says don't block any of the driveways, so we've always parked next to the dumpster. From there, walk alongside a chain link fence, and you'll come to a cobblestone beach. Pelican Rock is visible towards your right, and there is a large rock fairly even with it on shore. On our first trip that's where we got into the water, but there are (were) quite a number of sea urchins right there. Instead, enter the water just behind the house right next to the chain link fence. We like to swim at an angle out towards Pelican Rock, then on your way back in, swim until you're straight off of the entry point and there are some nice coral heads that you can explore on your way back in.

Hope this helps!
Come see us!
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

augie wrote:Hope this helps!
Absolutely. Thanks!
Bryan
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

This is also a snorkle we've never done. How long and difficult is the hike to the access point? How long is the swim from shore to pelican rock? Could you compare both to some other hike distance and swim distance on the island? Thanks a lot.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

My wife has snorkeled the rock twice. She gets in at Vie's and swims out from the far left side of the beach. It's a fairly easy swim.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

If my memory is correct, we also did it off of Haulover south. Sound possible???
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

That would be quite a trip from Vie's. From the campground it wouldn't be too bad. And there is another tiny beach right after that. But Augie's is probably best.
That Long Bay Beach has alot of interesting snorkeling. There are just "islands" of coral out around the moorings and a real nice shelf down at the far left corner. Snorkeling out the left side around those next points are great spots.
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

Oops. Vie's wouldn't be too bad but S. Haulover would be alittle trip.
KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

You're right, mickyb.... I went back to my trip report and it was from Hansen, not south Haulover. Aging brain cells.
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

Looks like in 9 days you can confirm your trip report?