let's play get to know the forum

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Linward wrote:Iprof - You are correct. I did volunteer for Desert Storm as they needed trauma nurses, but because I had never served in the armed forces, I had to attend OIS (officers indoctrination school) for 6 weeks in Rhode Island. The war was over before I graduated. :P
I thought it was most likely the age that was the lie... thank you for attempting to serve!

I know giant moths are in the Bahamas, and I remembered something about an ambulance connection from your TR. #1 seemed reasonable; then it was confessed true....

Move on folks... there's nothing more to my history. Someone new give us three truths and a lie about yourself!!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

None of you really knows me since I rarely post, so I'll give it a go:

1. I have over 6 years of college education but no degree.

2. Species of animals currently under my care include dog, angel fish, red-eared slider, black rat snake, bog turtle, cat, great horned owl, yellow rat snake, goldfish, diamond back terrapin, blotched king snake, barred owl, black vulture, snapping turtle, screech owl, barn owl, American kestrel, red shouldered hawk, wood turtle, red tailed hawk, corn snake, and box turtle. In the past I have also cared for sinaloan king snake, guinea pig, hamster, mice, leopard gecko, parakeet, chinchilla, canary.

3. I have been a member of the VIOL forum since 2006 but have only been to St. John once. I still hold out hope that my husband will keep his promise and we will return some day.

4. I am still close friends with my first boyfriend, whom I fell in love with at the age of thirteen but decided against marrying seven years later. My husband is OK with this.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

#4 is the lie.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
GidgetPicklebrain

Sorry, #4 is true.

We live in seperate states now, but my husband and I get together with him and his wife several times per year. I'm also cool with my husband keeping in touch with his HS sweetie, who ended up marrying one of his best friends. We see them less often as they are on the other side of the country, but they keep in touch.

Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Hummmmm. Okay, I go with #2. That's a lot of pets. ;)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

GidgetPicklebrain

#2 is also true.

The dogs, cats, fish, chinchillas, gerbils (forgot the gerbils in my original post) guinea pig, hamster, mice, leopard gecko, parakeet, canary and sinaloan milk snake are current or former pets.

The owls, hawks, kestrel, vulture, various other snakes and tutles live at the aviary at our local state park, where I volunteer as a keeper. They are all either permanently injured or imprinted and can not be released back into the wild. We care for them and use them in educational presentations and displays in the surrounding communities.

Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Okay, I'm left with a 50-50 shot at this. I'm going with #1 as the lie.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

GidgetPicklebrain

Sorry, #1 is also true. During 6 years of college I changed majors three times - from Early Childhood Education to Zoology to Horticulture. I finally left to persue and marry my husband, and never went back to complete a degree in anything. My career has been in accounting.

That leaves #3 as the lie. Although it's true I have only been to St. John once, and my husband promised one day we would return (still waiting, arms crossed, toe tapping), I've actually been a member of the USVI forum since 2002, long before it's conversion to it's current format in 2006.

mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

JJShaw, I was hoping that wasn't it, and am sorry for your loss.

Gidget, you're funny :lol: and I bet you have some great animal stories for us!
GidgetPicklebrain

Add rabits to the former pets list - forgot the rabbits.....

shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Next lurker here is your chance to post on a relatively safe subject obscure facts about yourself.

GidgetPicklebrain thank you and nice to meet you
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

[quote="mindehankins"]
JJShaw, I was hoping that wasn't it, and am sorry for your loss.

TY Minde..
[/url]
shoemak38

Re:

Post by shoemak38 »

shoemak38 wrote:Next lurker here is your chance to post on a relatively safe subject obscure facts about yourself.

GidgetPicklebrain thank you and nice to meet you
we could restart this game for the winter :twisted:
shoemak38

Re: let's play get to know the forum

Post by shoemak38 »

the rules
shoemak38 wrote:Learned a cool trick at some training I recently attended. Each member of the class was required to tell three facts about themselves and one lie. So if everyone is up to it let's play get to know the forum. Inspiration from what's the top five songs on your MP3 player.
First the rules always have to have rules you know.
First-person to guess the correct lie becomes the next person to post the three truths and one lie for everyone else to guess.
They are responsible for informing the winner.
Truths and lies must be obscure facts about you.

Being that I thought of the game I get to go first.
1. I owned a Volkswagen minibus with shag carpeting and curtains with the backseat removed and a 6 inch foam bed installed.
2. I've gone mushroom picking in the Black Forest in Bavaria Germany.
3. I been 600 feet underground in the State of Vermont.
4. I've used the pickup line “want to go to Monte Carlo for the weekend”
when I said obscure facts , I really meant obscure facts
GotToGetAway

Re: let's play get to know the forum

Post by GotToGetAway »

Since I brought up the subject of newcomers having a hard time mixing, I'll give it my best to jump in feet first here...

1. I have over 10 computer/tablet devices in my home for 2 adults and 2 children.
2. I declined admission to Cornell University because I didn't want to have my boogers freeze to my face walking to classes at 8 am in the winter.
3. I swear I have seen a ghost.
4. After I bought my first car (a 1984 Buick), I found $5000 stuffed in the glove compartment.
Tickerless :(