Which new beach?

Travel discussion for St. John
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Well, I guess I'll be looking into Gibney and Ditliff more! I like to float face down, LOL, and look around, not on a floatie, if that matters.

So IS there parking and how IS access at Ditliff? Is it true that the one side is a shark nursery, as I read in one of the two guides?

Regarding Haulover, I have heard a million times, that North is a great snorkel. About how long a walk is it from the road, and will there be shade for Blaine to sit in? We've passed Haulover South a million times, and I know there's shade there.

So many questions! I'm sorry, but thank you for your opinions!
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Minde, it is a short trek to HAulover North...not very far at all.
We attempted to go there last year to snorkel but it happened to be very rough that day so we came back out and went elsewhere. Since we didn't stay I can't inform you on the shade so someone else will know for sure. You're getting some good advice! ENJOY!
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

I really didn't think the walk to and from Denis was that bad. MUCH better than the walk to and from salt pond bay. Much shorter. I feel the walk to Salt Pond Bay and back is truely a walk on the dark side.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks for that info. The walk to Salt Pond doesn't bother me at all. I can walk on flat/wide hills. It's the "picky" walking that's tricky for me, climbing down steep hills, over roots etc, like Lind Point to Salamon, that when I'm fatigued I'm likely to trip and fall with the foot drag....
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

It is a very short trail to Haulover North and the snorkeling is wonderful. I don't think it had very much shade and there really wasn't a lot of place to kick back on the beach. It is very rocky and there are a lot of urchins.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Minde just mind your step on the paved driveway into Gibney, It's a gentle spoe but if sand has blown up on it or leaves it can be a little slick. Don't miss Gibney. There is just something about it.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Minde, there is no longer any parking or land access to Ditleff. It's gated off.

I am going to second agent99's comment on the potential slipperiness on the way down to Gibney. It is not a bad hill, but rotting leaves do tend to collect on the ground and it can be slippery. The paving is grooved, but can still be a bit slick.

Also, on the way to Haulover North, although it is generally flat, there is a part where it is kind of a mud pool and you have to walk across a relatively thin wooden plank that extends over the mud. You also are walking over roots, rocks, etc. at times. Furthermore, the entry to the water itself is a bit difficult. There is no sand, it is very rocky--and those rocks are covered with algae and slippery, there are urchins, and there is wave action. I have seen people fall trying to get in there before more than once.

Only you know what is good for you, but I wanted you to be aware of potential issues with some previously mentioned beaches. For personal reference, a couple of years ago we brought my Dad, who has MS and a right leg that drags and can completely can give out without warning if he is tired, resulting in a fall. He was able to handle Gibney with no problem, just had to go slow. In fact that was his favorite beach. His other favorite beaches were Francis, Trunk and Big Maho. I absolutely would not have brought him to Haulover North.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Forgive me for asking as Im not trying to Hijack the thread but, where exactly is the trail to get to Haulover North? And where do we park ? Im sure we have driven by it a 1000 times as we ended up putting nearly 200 miles on a jeep on our,time before last trip..Thanx !!!
[/url]
Jen East End

Post by Jen East End »

Hi Minde,
Also from WNY, we love Kiddle Bay on the south shore just past the entrance to Salt Pond. It's kind of hard to find but well worth it. Large house size boulders off to the left and right of this small bay covered with beautiful reefs. It is a rubble beach so beach chairs are a must . It is deep but mostly no current. You can drive right down to beach level. It is not well visited so you are likely to be there alone. Hope this helps and have a great trip! If you are interested send me a PM and I can give you directions.

Jenny
[/url]
Jen East End

Post by Jen East End »

The entrance to the north side is almost directly across from the south. It is a rather short trail and one of my favorite views at beach level, unfortunately the surf is often rough and difficult to snorkel. However, definitely worth the short walk to see if it is possible to snorkel as I have read it is a great spot.

Jenny

JJShaw wrote:Forgive me for asking as Im not trying to Hijack the thread but, where exactly is the trail to get to Haulover North? And where do we park ? Im sure we have driven by it a 1000 times as we ended up putting nearly 200 miles on a jeep on our,time before last trip..Thanx !!!
[/url]
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

deejayjay wrote:I really didn't think the walk to and from Denis was that bad. MUCH better than the walk to and from salt pond bay. Much shorter. I feel the walk to Salt Pond Bay and back is truely a walk on the dark side.
I also agree that it is much better than the hike back from Salt Pond and the rewards are much greater. But it is a different kind of hike. It does require negotiating a narrow path over roots and rocks on an incline. It is can be difficult to make the climb back up with chairs, cooler and snorkel gear if it has rained recently. (been there, done that) It is a short hike though and very much worth it.

The path to HO north is short and flat. It does take you over a "swampy" area where you have to walk over boards and find selected stepping stones. The beach is rock and coral rubble strewn with clutter that has washed ashore. I don't recall much shade opportunities. The path is directly across the road from HO south. We actually parked right next to the path when we stopped. I remember that there was a trailer with kayaks parked in the immediate vicinity.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Hi Minde. One you may have been to but I haven't seen mentioned is Caneel. It's pretty and very easy to get to. Plus it has decent snorkeling and is a great spot for floating. I think you could even find some shady spots. We've gone there a few times when some of the other North Shore beaches were rough, and it's quite nice. Bring your own chairs, but there are spigots to rinse off at and you can always enjoy a frosty beverage from the bar. Not a bad way to spend the day. Plus, it never seems especially crowded.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

I second Gibney. We are generally not much of beach loungers (would rather be snorkeling) and Gibney is one of a handful of beaches where we go to hang out all day, so that should tell you something. We usually visit there more than once in one trip and it has often been our choice for our last-full-day beach to soak everything in before our departure (it's either Gibney or Francis).

Haulover North isn't really a hangout beach. It's made of rocks/rubble and there isn't much shade. On a calm day, it does offer great snorkeling, though. The last time we were there, the waves were non-existent (the calmest Haulover N. we
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

Haulover North Map here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=18.347575 ... 09645&z=17

If you zoom in, you can see where people park on the side of the road. Also, there are usually kayaks on the right side of the road. It is about a 5 minute walk to the water on flat ground.

Green dot on map is where these pictures ( http://stjusvi.com/haulover-north ) were taken.

Wasn't prepared to snorkel last time we went, but some friends have stated that the snorkeling was very good when they were there.

John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

TrvlJohn wrote:Haulover North Map here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=18.347575 ... 09645&z=17

If you zoom in, you can see where people park on the side of the road. Also, there are usually kayaks on the right side of the road. It is about a 5 minute walk to the water on flat ground.

Green dot on map is where these pictures ( http://stjusvi.com/haulover-north ) were taken.

Wasn't prepared to snorkel last time we went, but some friends have stated that the snorkeling was very good when they were there.

John

Thanks !!!!
[/url]