Like to watch eagles?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Lex

Like to watch eagles?

Post by Lex »

http://www.raptorresource.org/falcon_cams/index.html

I'm finding this amazing, not something I ever even imagined.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Thanks Lex!

I love the wonder of nature and being able to see it so clearly and closely!

Another eagle nest:
http://www.wvec.com/marketplace/microsi ... e-cam.html

A hummingbird nest that just received a newly laid egg...
http://www.phoebeallens.com/
... no longer a stranger to paradise
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We've been watching the nest Iprof linked to, after a FB friend recommended it, and we're loving it!!! We watched an unsuccessful hatching one year, and it's so beautiful to watch these eaglets grow.
I'll have to check out the hummingbird nest!
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Lex, I have been watching the Decorah eagle nest for weeks and am totally addicted! My sister lives in Iowa and sent me the link a couple months back before they hatched. I have learned to distinguish the mom and dad now know the birth order of the 3 young'uns. I am fascinated and leave the feed on all day to look over at it as I can. They are impressive parents! It gets more and more interesting! I guess I was so consumed that I neglected to share the site...Glad you did!
linne

Post by linne »

Very intesting links, thank you.

We love to see what's happening in a birds nest.

In our garden we for a couple of years have had 2 nesting boxes and the one with a camera connected to our TV. The nesting boxes are used of great tits and bluetits. Last year there were 8 eggs in the great tit's nest, and it was so exiting to watch the parents
and the chicks. We only saw them in black and white, but now we have bought another nesting box with a colour camera. We hope that it will be used this spring, and we feed the birds the whole year to be sure they like to visit us :).

Linne
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

Thanks so much for passing that link on. I am a huge bird watcher and this is right up my alley. About 10 houses down we have an active bonded pair of eagles and really enjoy watching them fish in the lake behind my house and they perch on the pine tree behind my house. I never tire of seeing these beautiful birds. Look forward to the birding on STJ again this year. Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
Lex

Post by Lex »

It's really interesting to compare the two eagles nests. The Norfolk eaglets are a bit older than the ones at Decorah.

Then the hummingbirds have a whole different approach to nest building and egg sitting. The eagles nests are really roomy. Plenty of room for all the birds plus the carrion. I'll be curious to see how the hummingbirds manage things once the egg hatches.

This continues to amaze me.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Here's an unusual "nest cam." In a Buffalo cemetary, a deer has been protecting a goose who is nesting on a cemetary urn. They have a 24 hour cam on the scene now.
The link is to the news story and the live cam link: http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/118358 ... Over-Goose
Lex

Post by Lex »

I had trouble with the link for the Decorah nest this morning. This one seems to work:

http://www.farmyou.com/falcon_cams/index.html

Both adult eagles in the nest right now, plus some snow. Eaglets snug underneath.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

The mama eagle from the Norfolk cam was hit by a plane and died this morning. :cry:

Sooooooo sad.
Terry

Post by Terry »

My Dad, who passed away 15 years ago, loved bald eagles. He retired in Venice FL and saw alot of them along the freeway often.

Every since he passed we've had a notion that he returned as a bald eagle. So my family says "Hi" to him everytime we see one.

Living on a lake in the foothills of Colorado, we see them quite often. I always say "Hi Dad".

I love seeing them, they are so majestic.
Lex

Post by Lex »

It's strange how involved I've gotten with these birds. I was saddened by her death and the impact on the eaglets and the male.

The Dacorah eaglets are growing. I'm amazed by their wingspans when they stretch. And the size of their claws. The little hummingbird chick has hatched and is securely nestled in the nest.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Like some of you I was heartbroken when the Mama at Norfolk died. I have watched them for about 4 years and they became almost part of the family. Then to watch them take the baby eaglets the next morning was tough, but watching Dad arrive with fish and looking around for his family was gut wrenching.
We live in the area and I have been to the Gardens numerous times watching the adults and once got to see the eaglets after they fledged.
The eaglets are doing well at The Wildlife Center and will hopefully be released together this summer. You can seem them on the WVEC webcam, along with the moderators.

Other than Iowa another interesting group to watch is on Catalina Island. Here's a link to it. They have done so much work on trying to restore the population out there. They even remove eggs from the nest, replace them with wood ones, and once the eaglets hatch in the incubator they return them to the nest. Fascinating. Thanks for my rambling......but it's part of my heart :)

http://www.iws.org/navig.htm
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks for the link. I will check in on the Norfolk eaglets too. SO glad to hear they're doing well!
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I watch every now and then--especially when they were hatching. My cousin lives in Decorah and we are having our family reunion there this summer. I am looking forward to it for a lot of reasons--I want to see the eagles and camera set up.

Mike/Jan, that is gut wrenching!

The Decorah crew is eating fish right now.

xoxo