Help needed planning a visit to Germany

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Carolyn

Help needed planning a visit to Germany

Post by Carolyn »

I have to say this trip is not totally expected, but I have time to plan, so I need HELP!

My son is in law school and will study the fall semester in Hamburg as part of an exchange program. I am eager to study online , guide books, whatever, but I need some direction.

Any suggestions as to what I ought to do when we go visit? I am totally open. We are thinking late Sept or Oct will be the best time for all of us.

Any/all suggestions are welcome!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

one side of my family is from Germany so I spent a lot of time there growing up and went to school there while in college.

Is there anything in particular that interests you?

None of the large cities held much appeal to me (Berlin being the exception, we have family there.) and I have very fond memories of the small towns.

Our trips to visit relatives weren't the typical tourist thing so when I was in college, I struck out on my own. My roommate and I rented a car and started south. We did the Romantic Road and drove down into the Alps and into Austria.

September/October would be a lovely time to visit.

The public transportation system is great and it is easy to get around without a car. On the other hand, we always rented a car because it was less expensive then buying a rail pass. (My dad would rent from German agencies.)

Check out Rick Steeve's podcasts. The ones on Germany are excellent, I listen to them when I am feeling homesick for those times. His descriptions and recommendations are spot on.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

PA Girl...thanks for your input.

I ordered 2 guide books this morning so that ought to help me focus in on what interests me. I am really at the very beginning of discovery as to what we might like to do.

I will check out the Rick Steeve's podcasts. I saw some reviews of his travel guides but was not yet aware of podcasts. Thanks.

Several years ago I began extensive genealogy research on my family. I was well aware of German ancestors going back to the 1870's and have a copy of a baptismal certificate of course all in German. I do have an English translation but I can't really get anywhere figuring out where this part of my ancestors came from. I have a town written as Zwittau, but on google maps the closest I can find to that spelling is Zittau. Do you think that is the same? I was always told that part of the family came from Bavaria so perhaps it is the same. I have names of more towns but not knowing ANY German I don't get very far. This is from 140 + years ago so I am somewhat lost.

My son studied undergrad for a semester in London and traveled all over Europe then. I think he will once again get to as many additional countries as he can from Hamburg. HE gets around quite fine on his own and I have no worries about where and what he does. BUT, I have to wonder how do you think we might do driving in Germany w/ no language comprehension? I'd LOVE to drive around to various parts of the country, Alps and Austria would be gorgeous. I know most Germans also speak English, but how would that be for us to drive around?

Glad to hear Sept/Oct is a good time.

Thanks for your response...I'm going to go download the podcasts NOW!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

It is very easy to drive around, no problem at all even if you don't read German. The road signs and the actual highways are about 25x better than in the US.

There is a lot to see in Berlin that I could go see again for a 3rd and 4th time. A fried of mine just return from living in the former East Berlin and he can't wait to go back. Personally, for a first time trip, I would probably stick to the countryside. I love the Alps, some areas of southern Germany and Austria.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

PA Girl...Good to know about driving around w/o speaking the language! With my limited knowledge I tend to think I would prefer the countryside rather than the cities as you do. I downloaded Rick Steve's podcasts and am half way thru my second one. I am currently listening about his love of travel beginning as a teen on the first trip w/ his parents. THANKS for this tip...he's interesting!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Carlolyn
I copied an old post from last year here with some links. Note its about 5+ hour drive to Heidelberg area
Rhine link abut 3-4 hour drive
Garmisch is about 10 hour drive

would go to Heidelberg see the old city and castle also if you have time go over to Schwetzingen see castle in town. That’s one good day trip
http://www.visit-heidelberg.com/tours/castle.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27134057@N04/

Heidelberg Events and Festivals in July - Heidelberg, Germany, DE
This would be July 10 can not be missed•Schlossbeleuchtung - the second Saturday in July is also the second 'castle lighting' event of the year, when Heidelberg Castle is lit up so as to appear it is on flames. The show culminates in a 15-minute firework display which is best seen from the 'other' side of the river

2nd good trip drive over to Trier (old Roman town) then drive down Mosel River see castles on the sides of river plus see buy wine from wineries
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/germany/trier

3rd trip boat ride down Rhine river around Koblenz this will be longer drive

If you have time go to Garmisch (need 3 days min for this trip)
http://old.armymwr.com/portal/travel/re ... esort.html

need more ideas let me know