Has anyone had any trouble mailing boxes lately?

Travel discussion for St. John
Hawaii

Has anyone had any trouble mailing boxes lately?

Post by Hawaii »

Hi - Getting ready to start packing to see if everything will fit in the carry on's if not will do one suitcase and that can also be filled with snacks, etc. My plan is to do carryon but just want to see if anyone has has any problems lately with packages getting to STJ on time. Yes, I know mail 2 weeks ahead of time and label everything correctly. Thanks so much.
rImage
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

No problem here. I mailed a box to Connections last Thursday, May 12, and it got there Tuesday, May 17.

I must be living right... :D :D

I hope they don't mind keeping it a week for me.....SOON COME!!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Caribert - Do you know how much they charge to hold your box? Thanks
rImage
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Mailed mine April 2. Still hasn't turned up anyplace. I personally would never bother again. A waste of money. I'd either suck it up and check through a bag or suck it up and just buy stuff there.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

We sent 4 boxes the last week of April to 2 different PO Boxes and they all arrived within a week.
bevm

Post by bevm »

We've had terrible luck. Last year our box took five weeks to get there. It arrived after we came home. They got it, refused it, and we got it in THREE DAYS.
This year I mailed one again (almost three weeks before) and it arrived after we were on-island. I had our Cinco decorations in there and it was too late. Personally, I'll never mail a box again. I'd rather check a bag with over-sized items than deal with this aggravation.
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

I was shocked but just this week a got a package mailed FROM St.John in just 3 days!!!
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I always send boxes down before we go. I usually send them 2 weeks ahead to Christy's of St. John. I send them USPS Priority with Delivery Confirmation. I make out the address label with all caps (like the school alphabet). My packages have always arrived within 1 week. Have never had any issues at all. Have done this many times and will continue to do so. It works for me.
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

We sent one to Connections in April and it arrived in three days. From NH. Connections charged us $5. Depends on the size of the box and how long they hold it.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Hawaii wrote:Caribert - Do you know how much they charge to hold your box? Thanks
I really don't know. It might be more for a them to hold it longer this time. The last time I mailed them a box they only had it a couple of days.

It is a large Priority USPS box. I put heavy things in it like Citranella candle buckets for the deck, lemon/lime juicer, etc. I guess if I had experiences with missing or really late arriving boxes, like Bev and NeedToGetAway, I, too, would probably not mess with it! I would rather just suck it up and pay for extra baggage on the plane!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

All of my boxes have always arrived quickly. The lady at Connections told me that there is a very specific way you need to address the boxes to avoid them getting held up in Puerto Rico. If you are mailing I'd call them for the detailed instructions.

That said I haven't mailed anything in recent trips so maybe the reliability has changed.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
psufan

Post by psufan »

I had inquired with our villa host about mailing a box in advance. She was willing to help us out but did not recommend it. She has had several clients whose packages never arrived so I opted not to.

Really liking my ticker! 1 week to go!!
Mar

Post by Mar »

Hi We just used 1 large suitcase and checked it. In it we had all of our dry food items like cereal crackers, pringles. And I also packed in double sealed gallon size ziploc bags all of our toiletries, sunblock, bug spray etc. just to keep it all seperated safely from the food items. I always contemplate shipping the box but then I am fearful that it won't arrive there on time or at all. We will check our bag again this time. Can't wait!!
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Ok - Decision made - One suitcase and maybe one carryon and a backpack or some sort of combination. I am going to throw the suitcase on the bed so I do not change my mind for the 100th time.

Mar - Yesterday went to Indian Valley Scuba and got myself and daughter our gear have to go back for husband and son. The lady there was super nice and very helpful. I think we will also buy fins there now that I know I will pack a suitcase (I think :lol:)
rImage
Mar

Post by Mar »

Hawaii
That's great! FYI we also got a prescription mask there as well. Very helpful! We also packed our snorkel/fins gear in the large suitcase too. Can't wait!! How bout you guys? Your time will be here before you know it! :)