teefal's working vacation

Travel discussion for St. John
teefal

teefal's working vacation

Post by teefal »

Okay, so I really should be packing right now.

We're driving to Newark Airport tomorrow afternoon for a Sunday nonstop flight to STT, and while I've got way too many things to do (business finances, arrange for a trip to Haiti next month, PACK), I'm instead sitting here trolling this forum, getting all nostalgic about something that's gonna happen tomorrow. I wonder how many people missed their trip to STJ because they were too busy reading this forum. Probably not many.

This will be my family's fifth trip and my seventh (the other two were work related). Actually only three of our trips were pure fun, the rest, including this one, were mostly about laptops and children, at least for me. My wife and daughter will be in total fun mode, but I'll be splitting my time between "gotta" stuff and "wanna" stuff. Right now I'm thinking "max out the wanna, minimize the gotta."

Might have been a real mistake to ever turn St John into a "should". Once was a time when the stress simply dropped off when I got to the island, now it's more ... normal.

So here's the quest, as told in this ongoing trip report: keep the magic while doing some good. Mix a lotta liming with those responsibilities. Or for that matter, just wing all of it.

Except packing. Which should start any minute now.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Gotta...take your wife and daughter and meet/walk the dogs at the animal shelter!
teefal

Post by teefal »

Packing is done!

Tried something new this time. I'll be there 16 days, so packed 4 changes of clothes and will do laundry every 4 days (or so). It's pretty easy at Maho, so this turned my check-in into a carry-on (along with my backpack & camera bag). Looks like my 5 year old daughter's suitcase is also a carry-on, which is absolutely a first for her. That leaves my wife's suitcase and our scuba bag to check. Continental will be disappointed to not be ripping us off as usual.

I also got serious about the ThermaCell this year, with enough butane and bug pads for 144 hours, with enough coverage for our tent cottage, with room to spare. The mosquitoes should be in full force at Maho, though LL Bean didn't have an Ben's 100 Deet ... bought this Ultrathon stuff for me and Natrapel for the girls. Never heard of either of them, which worries me a bit.

Now all I've got is to bring my fin to the scuba place to fix the strap (something I've forgotten on the last three trips .. duct tape is an amazing thing). Also bring the parrot to the boarders.

Then drive, and relax, and turn my brain off. Thank goodness we've got a nonstop. It's really a treat to fly straight there.

By the way, if ever you're flying out of Newark, check out the Wyndam Garden. Their park & fly deal lets you park for 14 days in a gated lot for one night's stay at about $150. Pretty amazing deal.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I sincerely doubt you can travel with BUTANE -- certainly not in carry on.
Also you are very close to Haiti being here - the next Island west after Puerto Rico - maybe save the trip back to Newark and go from here or PR?
teefal

Post by teefal »

Hmm... yes. The ThermaCell butane cartridges have made it in our checked bags in the past, though it does seem to be a concern. Might be pushing it with the number I'm bringing (12). Seems you're definitely allowed to bring at least one, since people use them in curling irons, which is considered hygiene.

Hey, bug prevention is hygiene too. My arms and legs break out into a strange itchy rash whenever I don't use my ThermaCell.

As for Haiti, I'm back home for two weeks between trips. We've gone from STJ to Haiti many times, as our chief mentor lives on STJ. Usually through Miami, though there was a direct flight last year.

Greyhoundmom, that sounds like a good place to stop off. I've seen them fundraise but have never been to the facility itself.
teefal

Post by teefal »

Just learned that BIC lighters are no longer banned on planes (as of 2007). They use butane.

These thermacell cartridges are very similiar, so we might be ok.