Zero checked luggage?

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

Post by RickG »

Sweet Christine and I talked last night. We are going to check one sacrificial bag with the liquids. The bag will be one of small collapsible ones that we can stuff in knapsack on the way home. That way, if the bag gets lost on the way down, we can walk away and not worry about the stuff.

I'm more bummed out about the whole situation than I expected. I travel for work all the time and this is not an issue. The bug spray and sunscreen make the difference.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Ryn

Post by Ryn »

We just got back last week and did the same thing. I went down 3 days prior to hubby and brought one wheeled carryon for myself (my clothes) and one toiletry size bag with travel docs, etc. I then ckd one wheeled carryon (husband clothes) and one toiletry size bag with all of the shampoo, sunscreens, etc. I did this so that if anything did get delayed, it would be stuff I could live without.

This worked well. All came out within 20 minutes, and then I had hubbys stuff put away when he got there 3 days later. This way too, he was able to just get on the plane, get his butt down to STJ :) and not worry about luggage, etc.

I will say that even though I thought I packed rather light, I still could have gotten away with about 1/3 less. We had a villa and did laundry while we were there. Next time :)
RickG

Post by RickG »

Ryn, nicely done. I like the idea of an advance party doing the prep work. Of course, I like to go down early and come back late!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
sjdck

Post by sjdck »

I also just want to mention that it IS possible to have a wonderful stay using only carryon luggage. We have done this the last three trips to St. John, each time staying for at least a week, once for 10 days. We all (6 in family, kids in their 20's) take our own snorkels and masks. Only the 2 sons with extra large feet take their fins, it's easy to rent "normal" size fins on island. It is so relaxing for us to not have to worry about waiting for luggage. Like many others, the first few years we stayed on St. John we took more than we ended up using and each trip have taken less. One good thing about the new FAA regulations is that we easily find overhead space to put our carryon bags since more people are checking luggage (part of the reason for the higher incidence of lost luggage)
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

Back to carrying more than 3 ounces total in more than 3 containers - I interpreted this as acceptable, too. However, I have often found the TSA rules to be less than logical, sometimes haphazardly applied. Anyone who travels through EWR will understand this, lol. BTW, I got to keep the sunblock, I was just scolded, which I'm used to these days.