Moving to Southport NC

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Puddlejumper

Moving to Southport NC

Post by Puddlejumper »

I have read a number of posts about where to live in our golden years. Well, mind you, I haven't reached my golden years yet, but we are thinking about it. I have accepted a position with a company I worked for before moving to the VI, so the fam and I will be moving to Southport NC in mid September. An old southern coastal fishing community located just south of Wilmington NC and north of Myrtle Beach SC. Well, Southport used to be a fishing village, not anymore. Southport is turning into an area for retirees and families looking for the coastal way of life. And right now, property values are low. Very low. I know one bank has over 300 foreclosures in the county alone.

I like that we will be closer to STJ, too. Check out Southport and Oak Island NC.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Southport is very nice we rode the ferry on our way from Myrtle beach to Wilmington for a wedding couple of years ago. You will love the area
LovetoTravel

Post by LovetoTravel »

I live in Wilmington. You will LOVE Southport!!! It is one of the few small, and quaint towns left in our coastal area. Once you get to Southport and get settled you need to take a day, and take the ferry over to Bald Head Island. Plus, Downtown Wilmington is not far. I LOVE downtown Wilmington. :D
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

I live on Oak Island...if you need anything from this neck of the woods to help with your transition, just let me know! 8)
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

I see a Forum get-together in the future! Several Forumites in the southeast NC area.

I already knew Southport before taking this position. I have been there many times. I was excited to hear about this opportunity and jumped on it. I am originally from Greenville, NC.

Sun4MySoul, we have looked at a number of houses on OI! Never know, we might be neighbors. Though, we are hoping to buy a house in town. Looking at an auction property.
djmom

Post by djmom »

JEALOUS! We occasionally go to Bald Head Island, love that part of the state. Good for you!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
lprof

Post by lprof »

I have a cousin who is one of those happy retirees. He lives in The Landing and is with Southport Realty; if you wish another connection, let me know! It is a terrific area... congratulations and smooth sailing with your move!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

Good luck with house shopping. You should definitely have your pick of the litter right now!

Let me know when you're ready for a get together! 8)
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Count us in for a get together too...we're not too far from there..2 hrs or so...:)