in need of a better understanding of storm surge

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
loria

in need of a better understanding of storm surge

Post by loria »

ok, i know it has to do with the shape of the sea bottom--shallow=worse, right? but i have no idea what that means in Long island sound. in CT they are predicting i think 4-7 ft in surge-we are just below CT -what does that mean in terms of water in the streets? 4 to 7 feet? more? less?
turns out we are in a evac zone --we are slightly higher up )about 2 houses up a small incline--tidal creek at the end of the road) I have never seen us flooded (the bottom of the street, yes, never here. we are under and evacuation 'suggestion?' as of tomorrow at 5--however, i really don't want to leave my house due to the possibility of serious damage from falling branches (ok, i will grant that sounds stupid) obviously if it gets bad, i am leaving, but when surge comes is it crazy fast? (our house is tall) --ok rambling, guess i am just nervous --but any input on how to understand what storm surge means in terms of actual water levels would be really , really helpful. i cannot believe i don't already know this.

edit to add: ok, seems like this might be winding down a bit. i think? anyway, sorry to sound like such a worry wart!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Loria, I don't have any answers. I just wanted to tell you to "ramble" away! It is understandably scary and stressful. Stay safe. Please keep us posted.
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Hi Loria. I understand your concern and even though the storm seems to be weakening, there is still cause for great concern for the storm surge. The surge is the extra water that is piled on the normal tide caused by the heavy winds pushing those waters. You are correct, the more shallow, the worse the surge but the good news is the waves aren't quite as bad. So you could get flooding but not as likely to get the pounding waves that often do extensive damage to structures that are in the path of those waters. The deeper the water, the surge is not quite as bad as the water can be dispersed but the waves are larger and more powerful. In Buzzard's Bay, on Cape Cod predicting a 4 to 7 foot surge so I am thinking you guys are still in for the same. In one area, Onset because of the topography it is expected to reach over 10 feet. Here is a link to explain it in a more complicated way: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/surge/

Sending good thoughts! Stay safe!
Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

I'm trying to scare you, The storm surge is the greatest danger and kills the most people. Water piles up and adds to the high tide. I've been through many hurricanes on the Texas coast and when told to evacuate...we do. Once the surge starts to come in, it doesn't stop and it can happen quickly. Ask yourself...is a flooded house worth possibly losing you life for? Your safety comes first...
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
djmom

Post by djmom »

Oh, I hope you are evacuating or have done so already! You really aren't probably going to be able to if it "gets bad"...trees or powerlines can be in the road and you absolutely don't want to be in a car in heavy rain or possible areas that might be flooded. I think leaving in the middle of the storm would be a very bad idea.

I think trees are probably the biggest danger in this storm. It seems to be very slow moving and I think just primes those trees for falling over.

My parents live in Williamsburg Va and they also have a waterfront home on a "creek" (more like a small river) off of the Chesapeake Bay. I can't remember the storm, but they had the crap scared out of them in Williamsburg a few years ago, which is well offshore from the James River (15+ miles?) and much further from the ocean. A very large tree fell and just missed their house. At the waterfront house (they weren't there) a monstrous tree fell and it did hit their house.

They said that they would never stay home again. Grab anything you can't live without and get out. There's nothing you can do right away if a tree falls anyways. Water might pour in but you can deal with it later.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I'm curious if you evacuated...hope so! I've been keeping on eye on the storm through the news. Stay safe everyone!
Image[/url]
Terry

Post by Terry »

Surge is the worst. And in this case could happen during high tide. In simple terms that means LOTS OF WATER. Move if you can.