villa help please

Travel discussion for St. John
ellena

villa help please

Post by ellena »

We have stayed at Gallows 3 times but are considering going March 17 and bringing my 28 yo son and girlfriend and 25 yo son to celebrate hubby's 60th.Would like to rent a villa this time. I think being on Cruz Bay side might be better so the kids can go out at night,but open to other suggestions.

Would like pool, ac at least in bedrooms, great expansive views , sunsets if possible. Would like to keep it under $6000. So far I am considering Allessandra, Collibri, Cloud 9, sago Palms -too remote?

Any other ideas?

Thank you for your help.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Sago Palms is near Denis Bay, so think Peace Hill, it's up to you whether that is too far :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
ellena

villa help please

Post by ellena »

Thanks. Peace Hill isn't that far. Are you familiar with the house?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Last time we stayed at Sago, the driveway was the issue not the location of the villa. The driveway is right off Centerline Road next to Paradise Lumber, but not paved and no lights.
House is great.
petepie

Post by petepie »

If you think that your group may want to go out for drinks in Cruz bay without having to drive home, I'd stay over in Chocolate Hole, so that it's easier to find taxis in and out of Cruz Bay. Maria Bluff area is very nice and might be good since you can walk to the Westin from that area. Lots of choices of villas that get consistently good reviews in that area too.

If you want an expansive view, Vistaero was spectacular - but it's got a steep (although paved) driveway and is further out from Cruz Bay so may not be easy to get taxis to or from.
ellena

villa help

Post by ellena »

thanks for the help. thought choc hole was good, so that was why i was considering allessandra. any feedback on that villa or any other suggestions? i think kids would go into cruz bay , not the westin. someone suggested far niente and st john passion?
Knolmom

Villa

Post by Knolmom »

Have just returned from Sago palms and it is drop dead gorgeous and will certainly meet your needs.Every room is decorated beautifuuly in a unique way. It is not the driveway that is the issue, it is the road into the villa which is about 1 mile some paved and some unpaved spots, and somewhat rutted. It is not in any way unsafe, it just gets old when you have to drive so slowly. Also, in that respect, having a drink or two would not make it dangerous as 5MPH is the top speed. I found it funny that it was easier to navigate after dark, as the visibility is better at night than during the day. There will be no other vehicles coming at you as the house next door is almost finished but will not be occupied as it is not going on the rental market. There might be some more fine finish work going on but the workers are only there during the day and they will back up or go off the road for you if necessary. Sago would be my first choice and Colibri my second. PM me if you have any questions.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Have to agree with Knolmom. When I spoke of the driveway I was actually referring to the road. It was extremely rutted with deep holes when we were there. It got old very fast and we only rented it twice. I worried about breaking an axle or getting a flat. It's pitch dark at night and the thought of our group trying to walk to the house and not twist an ankle or worse was unnerving. Take a flashlight if you plan to go out in the evening, just in case. It's a beautiful house...would stay there again if the road was paved. :lol:
ellena

villa help

Post by ellena »

i think the driveway is a bit of a problem -thinking of colibri and it is available. any other villas to throw into the mix. Thanks for all the help. what are negatives with colibri if any?
Island Lizzard

villa comparison

Post by Island Lizzard »

Just wanted to chime in because I saw that you mentioned Far Niente and St John Passion, and we have stayed at both. They are not comparable as Far Niente is well kept and modern, and St John Passion is old and showing it's wear, several things at STP did not work (including the pool when we were there!). I would recommend Far Niente, we loved it.
ellena

villa help please

Post by ellena »

Thank you for the info.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Alesandra is my favorite villa
Tom
ellena

villa help please

Post by ellena »

thanks for you opinion. still considering colibri, allessandra maybe sago palms.
ellena

villa help please

Post by ellena »

thanks for you opinion. still considering colibri, allessandra maybe sago palms.
ellena

villa help please

Post by ellena »