What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
AH

Post by AH »

liamsaunt wrote:
AH wrote:[I am not familiar with this title. I've read "An Embarrassment of Mangoes" so I will have to look for "The Spice Necklace". What is the premise of the book?

AH
I think I was the one who originally mentioned this book. It is similar to Embarrassment of Mangoes--they sail their boat through the Caribbean. Much of this book is set in Trinidad IIRC. They obviously have a lot more sailing experience so there aren't stories of crazy mishaps like in the original. It's more about reconnecting with old friends. I also tried a couple of the recipes in the book with mixed results. Overall I liked Mangoes better but Spice Necklace is still worth reading.

I finally got around to reading The Help yesterday. Not sure what I am reading next.
Thanks for the review!
AH
Terry

Post by Terry »

Has anyone gotten caught up in the "Rose" series? "The Tea Rose", "The Winter Rose", etc?

Great collection.
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

I just finished The Tea Rose. Look forward to starting Winter Rose.
AH

Post by AH »

Terry wrote:Has anyone gotten caught up in the "Rose" series? "The Tea Rose", "The Winter Rose", etc?

Great collection.
Author?
AH
AH

Post by AH »

I downloaded and read "The Taste of Salt" by Martha Southgate. The main reason I first looked at this book was the cover. It has a stack of sea glass on the front. Now with that cover and the title I was quite sure it had something to do with either the beach, the ocean, or an island. While it has some small parts concerning the ocean the real storyline is more about the members of a family dealing with alcoholism. Even though not what I expected, I did enjoy it.
AH
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

AH wrote:I downloaded and read "The Taste of Salt" by Martha Southgate. The main reason I first looked at this book was the cover. It has a stack of sea glass on the front. Now with that cover and the title I was quite sure it had something to do with either the beach, the ocean, or an island. While it has some small parts concerning the ocean the real storyline is more about the members of a family dealing with alcoholism. Even though not what I expected, I did enjoy it.
AH
Many moons ago, I read a book by Anita Shreve (I think) titled Sea Glass. I think I liked it. :)

I am just starting "Lethal" by Sandra Brown. So far so good.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
AH

Post by AH »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:
Many moons ago, I read a book by Anita Shreve (I think) titled Sea Glass. I think I liked it. :)
Marcia,
I read that book too and I am sure I enjoyed it. I really like Anita Shreve's writing.
AH
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Read "The Lace Reader" by Brunonia Barry over the weekend.

Like it a lot! A great family story- a little bit of the supernatural, a little bit of scandal, a little bit of everything. Takes place in Salem MA and Salem is almost like another character in the book. I lived there for a while so I really enjoyed it.

The ending will blow you away. I can usually see the ending coming from a mile away but I was totally tricked with this one.

The writing style reminded me of Anita Shreve. The story unfolds, unveils itself.
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Just checking in to see what everyone is reading. We are heading for Galapagos tomorrow and I knew you all would have good ideas.

I just read the Help and really enjoyed that. I liked lethal too. I found it to be one of her better reads. I downloaded water for elephants have been wanting to read that one for a long time and will start with that.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

LysaC wrote:Read "The Lace Reader" by Brunonia Barry over the weekend.

Like it a lot! A great family story- a little bit of the supernatural, a little bit of scandal, a little bit of everything. Takes place in Salem MA and Salem is almost like another character in the book. I lived there for a while so I really enjoyed it.

The ending will blow you away. I can usually see the ending coming from a mile away but I was totally tricked with this one.

The writing style reminded me of Anita Shreve. The story unfolds, unveils itself.
Just downloaded "The Lace Reader" and it was only $2.99. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I always like to have another book on cue.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Cindygad, the Galapagos! Have a fantastic trip.

I just finished "The Night Circus." I didn't really connect with it at all.

One book I just finished that I really liked was "In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite" by Melissa Clark. It is really a cookbook, but every recipe has a story before it. She is a writer for the New York Times food section and I really like her voice. I've cooked two things out of the book so far and both were very tasty. This cookbook is going into heavy rotation over the next month or so.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I finished The Wave by Susan (C-something) last night.

It is non-fiction about big waves, climate change and ocean change. Much of the book chornicles her time spent with big wave surfers, the guys like Liard Hamilton that use jet skis to get towed out to sea to surfer 100 foot waves.

I picked it up on the buy three for the price of two table at our local Barnes and Noble and let me say, it was fasinating. I could not put it down. I have zero interest in surfing but found the book to be very well written and educational in an entertaining way.

Has anyone read The Hypnotist? My mom heard it recommended on NPR and hated it so much, she is trying to track down which program mentioned it so she can log a complaint.
AH

Post by AH »

Just finished "The Regulators" by Stephen King and have started another Stephen King novel.
AH
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

Don't know if it was mentioned here but has anyone read Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese?

The book is a few years old. I read it this May while on St John and finished it on the plane ride home. Extremely well written book. Fantastic read.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

susan & herb wrote:Don't know if it was mentioned here but has anyone read Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese?
Oh dear... I'm muddling through this. I need to focus. Unfortunately, I put it down for three weeks, and that's making it harder.
Now today, I downloaded the Steve Jobs Biography and I'm afraid I'm sucked into that book, so I'm not sure when Cutting For Stone will get picked up again.
Also, I wanted to mention Sarah's Key. That's the last book I really loved. Sad, but such a compelling story.