When a pet passes

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Connie

When a pet passes

Post by Connie »

This morning I had to put my lap cat down. He was only about 7, but it's also the 2nd time he had a blockage, which is very bad with cats.

After the first time it happened, husband and I talked about it and knew that we would not put him through any more medical care.

It happened again this morning and I just knew by the look of his face, his inability to play and his horrible yells of pain.

Boy, it's so tough, but he brought me so much love and fun.

I will really my Tiki Khana :o(
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
lprof

Post by lprof »

Connie, I am sorry for the loss of your cat; I believe you did the right thing for him.
It hurts and you will miss him; remembering the playful, purring times will bring some comfort.
I lost one of mine a few months ago... thinking of you!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Connie,
So sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose a pet. At least you know you did the best for it. We lost one not too long ago that we will never know what happened. She got out one day and never came back. We are assuming a coyote but don't know. We never had a chance to day goodbye.
loria

Post by loria »

oh, I am so , so sorry-- it was almost exactly a year ago that my cat passed away -- and it ws so , so hard. Pets are truly a special presence in our lives.
thinking of you--
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
jmq

Post by jmq »

So sorry for your loss.
Made me think of this recent excerpt from “Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die” about the idea of a “Perfect Day” for those struggling to come to terms with their own pets' failing health.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... ingle.html
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Sorry to hear about kitty :(

You and your husband were very wise to get in agreement ahead of time. We had to put down our 16 yr female last year. I was the "bad guy" that pushed for it because it was time, she was suffering too much. After the fact, my husband admitted he needed me to do it and I still am a bit angry about it.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Animals definetly have a way of telling you that it's "time". Tiki had the look and went right into his crate, which is strange.

Also, we have 2 different foods. One especially for Tiki. The wierd thing is, my husband told me he took his name off the container yesterday morning before he even knew that Tiki was sick. He did that because the other cats seem to like Tiki's food, so there was no need for the sticker. Just strange.

It's so quiet around here now. Tiki was the fiesty one :o(
jqg1956

Post by jqg1956 »

As pet owners we always know the day might come when we need to make that decision - my heart feels your loss.

When I had to put my beloved cat to sleep, a week later I saw a rainbow and I was reminded of the story of the Rainbow Bridge - I honestly think it was her way of letting me know she was okay. I am sure you will see a rainbow soon.
AH

Post by AH »

Connie,

You made a very difficult/selfless decision. My heart goes out to you and your husband.

AH
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Connie, that really sucks. You made the right decision but I know it hurts. Even when they are suffering and you know it's the right thing, it's still hurts so much.

I worked at animal hospitals and we saw A LOT of blocked male cats. It's very painful for them and the treatment is also painful and traumatizing and has a very high rate of recurrence. I had a male cat and know, based on his personality, that if he blocked, we'd have to out him down. He was not a good a patient for any sort of treament.

Our hearts are with you and our prayers are with Tiki.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Here's the link to the Rainbow Bridge:

http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

I don't know if Rainbow Bridge is actually real, but I do believe that it's true. Seems like the way it should be.

Getting a pet is a loaded situation from the start, yet we go right into it, without a thought of the conclusion. We're almost always guaranteed to outlive that sweet little creature. Somebody's quote says that they come into our lives to teach us to love and they depart to teach us to grieve. For so many people, the first experience with death was the loss of a pet. The pain of the loss is the price of the love.

We've got a shelf with photos and little jars of ashes. I always think that we should put the ashes in the garden or some other thoughtful destination, but never have. Maybe some day we will.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

I'm so sorry,yous guys.
It's never easy to go through.
Jimmy
Connie

Post by Connie »

Thanks all. The demographics of this home has definetly change. I think the hardest part was he was my lap cat. Sitting here on my lap whenever he had the chance.

I will always remember Tiki. He was a special cat with a really tough disposition.

On another note, my female cat is happy has hell because she won't get chased anymore. She's the queen now. :)
Lex

Post by Lex »

It's quite something to watch a surviving pet process and adapt to the loss/absence of a deceased pet with whom they shared a home. I always have to check myself to see how much I may be projecting onto the survivor, but there definitely is pet grief.
AH

Post by AH »

Lex wrote:It's quite something to watch a surviving pet process and adapt to the loss/absence of a deceased pet with whom they shared a home. I always have to check myself to see how much I may be projecting onto the survivor, but there definitely is pet grief.
So true.
AH