Mangrove Snorkel

Travel discussion for St. John
klikesfins

Mangrove Snorkel

Post by klikesfins »

Went to Princess Bay yesterday to check out the mangroves. I wasn't too sure about the whole idea. Sounded a bit mucky to me, but surprise! I really enjoyed. Truly is a huge nursery for all kinds of fish and not mucky at all. When the sun was shining, it looked like someone's aquarium. There were about 4 different size barracudas, including one large one, that was in no hurry to go anywhere. One little fish about the size of a half dollar, decided to come along on the snorkel with us. He just swam under my husband's chin the whole time. The first time I saw it, I laughed out loud. Pointed it out to my husband and he had seen it earlier, by the side of his mask. So cute. We made sure he ended the snorkel ride close to shore and shelter.

We are renting a dinghy today...wish us good luck!!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Sounds like a great snorkel! Love the little fish hanging out with your husband! Enjoy your dinghy day! I really want to try that next time, so I'm excited to hear about it! I'm enjoying your live daily reports :D
Image[/url]
Muhaha

Re: Mangrove Snorkel

Post by Muhaha »

klikesfins wrote:Went to Princess Bay yesterday to check out the mangroves. I wasn't too sure about the whole idea. Sounded a bit mucky to me, but surprise! I really enjoyed. Truly is a huge nursery for all kinds of fish and not mucky at all. When the sun was shining, it looked like someone's aquarium. There were about 4 different size barracudas, including one large one, that was in no hurry to go anywhere. One little fish about the size of a half dollar, decided to come along on the snorkel with us. He just swam under my husband's chin the whole time. The first time I saw it, I laughed out loud. Pointed it out to my husband and he had seen it earlier, by the side of his mask. So cute. We made sure he ended the snorkel ride close to shore and shelter.

We are renting a dinghy today...wish us good luck!!
Glad you enjoyed your mangrove snorkel. I did one last January and was surprised as well. It is a bit icky wading out from shore in the mud, but other than that a delightful time.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Glad you enjoyed your mangrove snorkel. We went on a day charter two years ago that went into one of the bays in Hurricane Hole. We snorkeled the mangroves and we loved it. Its an incredibly beautiful and different underwater world. I've never done it from shore. It was easy to swim into the mangroves area from the boat in deeper water.