Movies, new and old

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Connie

Movies, new and old

Post by Connie »

Since there's a thread on Books/Reading, I thought I would start one on Movies.

We just watched:

Water for Elephants. We LOVED it. Also read the book, was so glad that they made it into a movie.

We're really looking for some great, almost unknown comedies.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Did not see that movie but read that it didn't live up to the book at all - so interesting to hear your take. We just watched a movie from a couple of years ago that I had heard about but couldn't find anywhere - until accidentally stumbling upon it on Netflix, Robber. It is about an Austrian marathon runner who likes to rob banks... in German. Strange but really good movie.

And something else in German if you can stand it - I think maybe the best film I have seen in a few years - The White Ribbon. Completely mysterious, beautiful, brutal - just great film making.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
loria

Post by loria »

i love the older movies--like the thin man series , my man godfrey, diamonds are a girls best friend , the original nonmusical mame, all the old tracey/hepburn films ,etc.. guess it's a bit cliche' . also there are sort of the 'never get old' movies--that is something of a different list for everyone, for us it includes shawshank redemption, apollo 13, saving private ryan....
the secret of roan inish is a wonderful film as is babette's feast.....
i guess i could go on and on......haven't seen much new lately though....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

I love Shawshank Redemtion too. One I never get tire of watching even though it is an old movie is Tootsie and also another oldie Mrs. Doubtfire both great movies. A more recent movie is Old Dogs again with Robin Williams and John Travolta - I think it is so funny.

Connie - Thanks for starting this thread brings back some great movies.
rImage
Connie

Post by Connie »

Let's keep this going. Making a list.

Husband is so stuck on WWI and WWI movies. I like them, but I don't like all the killing. I just put my fingers in my ears, close my eyes, turn my head and he tell me whe "it's over".

"Taken" is an amazing move and if you haven't seen it, you have to. We've watched it at least 10 times.

Like the goofy movies like the original Footloose, Dirty Dancing and Christmas Vacation, yeah!

I think it's because I can recite so many of the lines...just classics. They still make me laugh.

It's a good thing.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I down loaded a bunch of old WWII movies on my Ipod to watch on the plane ride to Australia Last night went to Money ball alot better then I thoght it would be.
Tom
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Connie, I am glad you liked Water for Elephants. I loved the book so much, and I heard the movie wasn't able to live up to it, but I am going to watch it anyway this weekend. I love the Shawshank Redemption too! It is pretty close to a perfect movie, in my opinion.

Here are some movies I can watch over and over again, in no particular order of preference or genre:

The Piano
The Age of Innocence
The Player
Moulin Rouge
Waiting for Guffman (I used to act in community and college theater so this really makes me laugh! I KNOW people like the characters in this movie!)
Cinema Paradiso
Ratatouille

I am sure there are others but these are the ones that come to mind. I have not seen much new lately. All I can think of is Bridesmaids, which I only laughed at once.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Two clever movies that I can watch over and over -

Snatch
Layer Cake

I don't like violence in movies but what there is in both of these doesn't bother me too much.

The Usual Suspects is one of my favorites.

Connie - not movies but we liked Arrested Development and Party Down from Netflix
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Some "B" comedies - but good for a laugh...

Bachelor party Las Vegas
Soul Plane
Harold and Kumar
Role Models
Step Brothers
Of course... The Hangover

Some other favs,

Goodfellas
Reservoir Dogs
Carlitos Way
Pirates of the Caribbean

I second Snatch and The Usual Suspects as well- both great
Chet

Post by Chet »

Almost all Coen brother films, and a lot of Steve Buscemi films - The Big Lebowski and Tree's Lounge come to mind.

And who can forget Princess Bride!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
jmq

Post by jmq »

Big second round of props on the Coen brothers films, going all the way back to "Blood Simple" (usually a good thing when fav character actor M. Emmet Walsh shows up in a film)

Some films that IMO fit into the overlooked/underrated category:

In Bruges – Colin Farrell: hit men on the run in Belgium
District 9 – unusual hybrid political/sci-fi thriller
Children of Men – Clive Owen trying to save the future of mankind in a bleak 2027
Fearless – Jeff Bridges deals with post plane crash survivor’s guilt
The Dish – fact based fiction quirky Aussie crew responsible for satellite dish that almost didn’t broadcast the first moonwalk
Master and Commander – Russell Crow on a British warship during the Napoleonic Wars
The Italian Job – Mark Wahlburg fun heist film
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I second In Bruges. Such a surprise! Wonderful, funny, painful and lovely.

Shawshank is one of my all-time favs. Our family owned a video store and I would reccomend this move with a money back guarantee if the customer didn't like it. I never had to refund. It's based on Stephen King novella.

The Hangover is the funniest movie I have ever seen.

Movies I can watch over and over include The Color Purple, The Piano, Out of Africa, Bring It On!, all the Harry Potter films (but especially the last few), Dodgeball, The Wedding Singer, and many more.

I wasn't as impressed with Bridesmaids as I hoped I would be. Could've been edited down about a 1/2 hour.

Taken was also a wonderful surprise. Liam Neeson kicks ASS in that movie.

I desperately want to see Paranormal Experience PT 1 and thought for sure it was going to be On Demand or something over Halloween. I'll have to rent the DVD I guess.

I also wanna give a shout out to Weird Science and DC Cab- 80's flicks that are just as quirky and awesome watching as an adult as they were watching as a kid :).
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Out of Africa! OMG yes! When I was younger, so much of it went straight over my head. When I watched it again a couple of years ago, I wept out loud. It was on HBO rotation a while back and I watched it every time I spied it. I also loved the book.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Out of Africa- I keep meaning to get the book. I'm just so taken by the movie that I don't to spoil it.

Another movie that enchants me is The Painted Veil. Good lord I love this movie.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

LysaC wrote:Out of Africa- I keep meaning to get the book. I'm just so taken by the movie that I don't to spoil it.
The book is different than the movie in that the chapters are about her life in Kenya, it doesn't read like a novel the way most books-to-movies do.